Always Active Hue Motion

Last week, when I migrated from C7 to C8, I was fortunate everything worked pretty much from the start. In particular, my 6 Indor Hue Motion worked perfectly without any hiccups.

Today I started having issues with these sensors. One or more will remain active and will not de-activate without some help. Sometimes the Configure or Refresh buttons will do the trick but, in one case, I had to re-include it (without excluding first). The re-included sensor retains it name and settings. I "fix" one and another one starts to act up.

I have read elsewhere here that if the sensor blinks red (once) when detecting motion it is not communicating well with Hubitat hub. All mine often blink when motion and have done so from the beginning. I decided to place one of these sensor right next to the hub and watch it when it detects motion. Sure enough, 4" from the hub and it still blinks once.

I have tried rebooting the hub and rebuilding the zigbee network and the problem persists. I have not added any zigbee device to the C8 except those that came across during the migration. All other zigbee (door contacts, AC socket) devices seem to be fine.

I have run out of ideas for what to try next and hope others can provide some insight.

Have you reviewed the different channels being used by ZigBee and 2.4 wifi networks to see if there could be any interference?

1 Like

Also, I believe the blinking can be used to indicate two different things (at least), the lack of comm's to the hub and low battery. I think the colour and blinking rate / number are used to distinguish the different issues.

Yup. My wifi only goes up to ch 11 (Using ch1, 6 and 11). The C8 is the only zigbee radio enabled. It is on channel 20. I have not checked my hue channel. Can that even be changed?

I do have a ST hub which for some reason was on ch 14. I changed it yesterday to ch25. Maybe grasping at straw here but I wonder if this change could be part of the problem. (I set it back to 14 just minutes ago to test)

I never paid attention to it as I assumed it was like some of my other sensors indicating an event occurred. My door sensors blink red when I open/close a door. I should point out it flashes red only once. It is not a repetitive blinking LED

Yeah, mine blink red too (hue motion sensors), but they still work, so never bothered to look at it in detail.

Might just have to wait and see re the channel. This kind of image is what I would refer to to work how best to configure the various channels. That said I currently have some overlap on 11 and it doesn't seem to be a problem...

Looks like it can, under Bridge Settings. Probably best just to note down the current setting for now, rather than changing too many things all at once.

1 Like

Yeah it is at ch25 and there it will stay. I had ST on the same channel but are zero zigbee devices on it. I might just shut it down cause I dont really need it.

1 Like

You might also try rebooting just the zigbee radio in Settings -> Zigbee Details. That helped some of my problems.

I tried that as well. Unfortunately, it didnt help.

Same issue with my new C8 running 2.3.5.117 unable to use any of my 4 Hue outdoor PIR sensors. All 4 pair but seem to have problems during the process. When they come ready they appear to have correct status details but all show continuous active status ie constant motion activity and never goes inactive.
Hue indoor and smart things PIRs work fine.
Perhaps a driver issue??
Put them back on the C5 and they work without issue.
Annoying really as I have had to revert back to the C5.
These Hue sensors are robust and reliable devices widely used and have never caused me any problems previously... The C8 should have been tested with these before release. Nice brick at the moment.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.