Alternative to IKEA SYMFONISK speaker?

Is there an alternative to the IKEA SYMFONISK speaker for use in Hubitat?

I’m using it for TTS, but it appears to have a bug where the lowest volume is too loud. (No matter the settings, the speaker is incredibly loud).

This post is also yours, but the two claims are at odds with each other:

Do you think there is a problem with the app (trying the same with a virtual device or another type you do have would be one way to test), or do you think there is a problem with this particular model of speaker or perhaps the driver? Replacing it as suggested here won't help if it's the former, but without narrowing it down, it's hard to know.

I have 5 of these I use for TTS in production and I haven't noticed this problem.
Have you tested TTS messaging directly from the driver details page?, and if so and its still too loud can you post a screen shot?

2 Likes

Here’s a screenshot. If I test via the device page, it works as expected.

The reason I asked could it be “an issue with the speaker itself?” is because users had reported it as a bug with the speaker (Reddit) a few years ago.

The fact that it works on the device page, and that you have 5 that work, suggests it’s a bug with the basic rules app not honoring the volume field?

Could that be the case?

possibly, can you post the rule that you're using?

1 Like

can you post the amazon link to the one that you purchased?, the listings are confusing and the older model is still available, the last one I purchased was directly from Philips and they no longer have them on their site.

Sure, here’s a screenshot of the rule. Let me know if there’s a better way to post it.

1 Like

Sure, here’s the one that I purchased.

IKEA Symfonisk WiFi Bookshelf Speaker White 804.352.11
Amazon.com

OP also described unexpected behavior by his symphonisk speaker in another thread that doesn’t seem to have anything to do with basic rules (or perhaps Hubitat at all):

Correct. I posted in two areas as I wasn’t sure of this was due to a speaker issue or a rule issue. (Still not sure),

Thanks, Have you tried the rule with the TTS Volume boost/cut preference set to no change?

Thanks. I will try that.

On a related note, my rule volume is 50, but the device events are showing a value of 35. The device preferences are not set to boost the volume. Shouldn’t these values be the same?

Yes, and in my testing when the rule executes it sets the volume, and the volume on the sonos doesn't change unless its changed by another rule, via the driver, or the sonos app.

Without any changes to the rule, the device, or the physical buttons, it showed 50 this morning. (Which is what I would expect).

And… just now, back to 50.

The behavior is very inconsistent, but removing the volume boost has appeared to stop it speaking at maximum volume.