[Alpha] MQTT application

What is the message format that your app expects to come back for status updates? And what is the format it sends when requesting a change?

I found a homie3 (and a homie4) python module. But documentation on it sucks and I haven't played with it yet. My side of things are being written in python so this would be nice to use.

The homie spec is pretty thorough (in parts)
https://homieiot.github.io/specification/

I publish my states out on the nodes property topic(s) and I issue a command to that node using the same topic with /set appended

Here's my porch which is a dimmable light if that helps - two properties onoff and dim

Please note all those topics are mandatory for homie3 compliance.

I do have a 'simplified' tree available but that is not homie compliant of course.

or

I haven't quite decided yet - probably the lower version

it still uses ..../set on the dim and onoff to send commands

That helps. Thanks.

I have just released alpha5 to all the registered users . The pre test users have already had it for a couple of weeks too. They will bash it around for about another week and then it will be released publicly as beta 1 here.

So very close now...

2 Likes

IF you need anyone else to test I'd like to help: I run my 300 gallon salt tank via MQTT - over 20 sensors, ATO, filter monitoring, leak detection, heater staging, salt swap, dosing, etc...; my Kumo Split Unit (wrote beta driver for it in Homebridge...though thinking of yanking MQTT for this one to simplify), hacked nest doorbell (esp w/ MQTT to rasp pi with small speakers), hacked hunter Douglass blinds (2 stages, 1 - hacked remote w/esp and a second project to replace circuit board in the blinds), and my model railroad scenery, oh and hacked Balboa Hot Tub to MQTT into HomeKit - so heavy MQTT user :slight_smile: slowly moving things to Hubitat from node-red where I can for robustness.

alpha 5 is currently out there and I have no backlog of bugs to fix .. yes some docs to complete and always things to improve but that's what a beta is for. It should be available to all in time for this coming weekend.

1 Like

Hey @stephen1,

Just curious if you ever got this working with Hubitat and Victron Color Control GX? I have the same setup in my RV and I'd like to do load shedding for my 3,200 watt solar arrat on my motorhomes roof.

-Jeremy

Hi @kevin

Could I get added to your alpha access?

Thanks,
-Jeremy

@jeremy.akers

Even better here's beta 3b

1 Like

Thanks @kevin!

I set it up and started playing with it. Curious if there's a particular thread here where you prefer us to post questions? I've got a Victron Color Control GX in my RV that monitors a solar array, battery pack, inverters, etc. All of that info is made available via MQTT. I can subscribe and get updates via the mosquitto_sub command line tool. For example to subscribe to the battery state of charge readings:

$ mosquitto_sub -h IPADDR -t "N/04a316c3eb1f/battery/512/Soc" -v
N/04a316c3eb1f/battery/512/Soc {"value": 99}
N/04a316c3eb1f/battery/512/Soc {"value": 98}
N/04a316c3eb1f/battery/512/Soc {"value": 98}

My idea (And maybe this is not the best way to do this) was to use the "Virtual Devices" feature in your app to map the state of charge percentage to a dimmer level and use that to trigger automations in HE:

Am I on the right track? This doesn't seem to be working so I'm hoping I'm just missing something easy/obvious.

Again if there's a more appropriate thread for this question let me know and I can re-post.

Thanks,
-Jeremy

I posted it immediately above your post - that's the current thread.. beta 3c

Ahh - that's a JSON payload value isn't it ?

If so your status topic needs to be ..

N/04a316c3eb1f/battery/512/Soc{value:}

which tells it to recover the json and then look for the key 'value' within it

Persevere with the quirky editor - it might take a couple of updates to get it to take.
The displayed data value within the device is what counts.

level_Topic: N/04a316c3eb1f/battery/512/Soc{value:}

Level will work - as would for example humidity as a 'sensor' but you'd be better putting 'battery' into a device supporting 'battery' capability. Level provides control and therefore includes a setting slider.

My MQTT Text device also supports capability 'battery' which would allow it to display an appropriate tile on a dashboard.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.