[Alpha] Community-maintained Google Home integration

This week I was very disapointed when I used the built in Google integration just to realize it didn't recognize most of the devices I want to use it for (such as fans and locks), then I found this thread...

The app looks great (based on I was able to read and see here), as a software developer myself i can only imagine the amount of work put into this, big thanks.

One question: Why is it still labeled as "alpha" over one year later? Is it because you just didn't bother changing the label? :grin:

How stable it is for the usual stuff like z-wave dimmers, water sensors and fans?

I frequently have issues when issuing a Google Home command to turn on whatever. "The Hubitat isn't available right now" and a few seconds (feels like minutes) the command executes.
Is there any way to refresh the link every x minutes, similar to the app to keep chromecast devices initialized?
Anyone else run into this or is it just my connection?

At what point does it fail? Is it before you've signed into your Hubitat account and selected a hub and devices or later?

I can add it to my list. I haven't done a ton of work on this app lately though, since it does everything I need from it.

Mainly because it's still missing some features I would want it to have to consider it "feature complete". Also because I haven't bothered to rename the thread.

It's pretty stable, but it won't stop you from doing things that don't work. It's fairly easy to not get the setup right, but once things are configured it should work consistently. I've been using it for a while (mainly for my dimmers, fans, and blinds), and rarely have any issues.

That's very odd. There's not any sort of persistent connection between Google and you hub to reinitialize though. The only persistent connection is between your hub and Hubitat's servers. Maybe try rebooting your hub from time to time. Hubitat are notirious enough about having issues that are solved by rebooting that there are a few community apps to reboot them regularly.

It fails after I enter password and authorize devices. At the very end of the process. Typically, in the screen shot I posted, after that thinking...the app will show up in the linked services list in google. Never happens for this.

If you turn on the debug logging toggle in the Hubitat app, do you see anything in the Hubitat log for the app when you try to do the link?

I have debug logging on. Where do you see the log? Events? If so, I see nothing in events.

Think i found logs. Had a live log running but got nothing when I tried to link it in google.

In that case check the OAuth token endpoint configured in your Google Action (may as well check the other OAuth parameters while you're there).

I double checked those and still no luck. I ended up deleting everything and trying again from the beginning. Now in google home when setting up the device, after i select my hub I get the following:
"The parameter "state" must be set in the query string".

Once again, check the OAuth parameters in your Google Action. Keep in mind that Hubitat doesn't let you copy from the OAuth client secret field in the Hubitat UI.

Idea: What about the ability to modify the device name presented to Google?

Most of my devices have long names (eg, 1F Master Bathroom Vanity Lights (Hue Group) -- Google tends to cut them short. Would love to rename them on the way out to Google.

1 Like

You can edit device names in the Google Home app on your phone already. I don't think editing them in the Hubitat app would add any functionality that doesn't already exist.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that. Based on that, I agree with your take.

Is it just me or is anyone experiencing a delayed response from the google assistant?
A few days ago when I installed this app I would say: "Turn on the lights" and the assistant (google home mini, hub or my phone) would respond immediately, while the lights were being turned off.

Around two days ago I noticed that now it waits until the lights are off so it can say something.
Something like this:

"Hey google, turn off kitchen lights"
A little delay, lights turns off and then google says:
"Ok, turning off 3 lights".

I just tested it in another room by turning of the fan and it was the exactly same thing.
I waited until the fan was off to say: "Got it, turning off the fan".

Did google change something or is it an issue with my integration?

I have a z-wave relay switch called "garage door". I set a rule to turn off the switch after 3 seconds of being turned on. This way it acts just like the garage door button. Then I set a routine in the Google home app to turn on the switch when I say "Open my garage door" and "Close my garage door". No virtual switches needed.

Just a heads up, Touch controls for open and close are now working again for me.

Any luck getting this to work? Really appreciate your app, great work!!!

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know, mine work again too. :slight_smile:

Hi @mbudnek,

Great job on the integration, set it up recently to got my Lighting Groups and Scenes into Google, so I can turn them on and off via voice.

One question I have is whether it would be possible and whether you would consider being able to rename HE scenes when presented to Google, and whether you could allow the user to configure the room in Google a scene is added to?

So the example I have is I have called my scenes things like "Study - Day", "Study - Night" or "Master Bedroom - Day", essentially the room followed by the scene name. Rather than using the phrase "Activate scene Study Day", I'd prefer to say "Activate scene Day in the Study". I'm assuming to achieve this the HE scene "Study - Day" would need to be renamed in Google, but Google Home does not expose scenes in the interface from what I can see. I'm also assuming that adding this scene to a room would then be required as I would have more than one "Day" scene.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Simon

I don't use scenes like that, but one thing that should work would be to have a virtual switch being used to trigger that scene. Then you expose only the switch to Google home.
You could then rename it however you want and add it to the room you want. The command would be turn on instead of "activate", though

1 Like