[Alpha] Community-maintained Google Home integration

Just set this up thanks, it works. After several attempts....I was likely doing something wrong.

I love the ability to change devices in Google as I have an on off switch for mg extractor fan and it was classed as a light in Google, so I had to have a bathroom and bathroom fan room to get round it.

@mbudnek thank you

Looks like Google updated their documentation. SPEAKER is listed, along with other STREAMING devices (BOX, STICK, SOUNDBAR).

1 Like

Thank-you @mbudnek

I tried this morning but I always get the message "there was a unknown error, please try again later" so far, I'm still getting this message
I will let you know when this works out for my wife's phone.

Did Google botch something on this latest update? I setup my Denon receiver as following

Device type: Audio Volume
Google Home Device type: Remote
Device Traits: Volume ON/OFF.

It shows up in the home, but when I click on it, it only shows the power not volume.

I have notice that my Samsung TV (not added through this app) is doing the same thing. Power but no volume.

I have my Denon receiver set up similarly, and I don't recall it ever having touch controls for volume. Google's Documentation does not list the volume trait as having any touch screen support sadly.

This is what drives me nuts about Google. You can adjust volume on a Chromecast/Home(Nest) speaker, but nothing else? Sometimes I wish I could just slap them in the face.

1 Like

It doesn't "look" great. But if you expose the receiver to google as a switch and include the on/off, Volume, and Brightness traits, you can control the volume with the "brightness" control with your phone. And still have the volume controls on the google/nest hubs and other smart displays.

2 Likes

How did you manage to fix this? I've done everything from scratch twice and still have this issue.

Can't get my fan (Inovelli Fan + Light Switch) to show the dimmer/slider in Google Home app. It seems to pop up for a second, then disappears. It works via voice just fine (Hey Google set the fan to 50%) but when I select the Fan in Google Home app, it only allows for on/off.

I have "On/Off" and "Brightness" Traits selected.

Are you exposing it as a switch? You need to do that. And then you can still get the fan Icon if you have "fan" in the device name

Also, you may need to refresh twice or sync my devices for the change to go through

Ah, no I must have missed that I was exposing as "Fan Control".

Updated "Device Type" and "Google Home Device Type" to "Switch" and now all is working as expected!

mbudnek, First off GREAT ADDITION to the Hubitat. Myself like you, was super frustrated with how poor the Google integration was.

A slick thing I found was if I take a Tasmota device with a temperature sensor attached (mounted outside), and then linked it to google as a "query only temperature sensor", then on the Nest Hubs, it shows up on the top banner of the screen as the temperature as well as lock status (if you have locks).

I was pretty annoyed on how Google handles cameras. It's obvious that they make the experience complete garbage in order to force you to use their overpriced Nest. Yeh, not biting.

I have a local Lorex DVR setup that supports RTSP. As part of another side project, I had linked them to a BlueIris DVR which supports http streaming via URL. I tweaked the google-home-community.groovy app to enable camera streams, made a stub virtual camera driver.

This allows me to map each of my cameras to a Hubitat "device" (that device is basically just a container for the camera web link, username and password). With the changes to google home community, those cameras get pulled into Google and appear as cameras. I can now display them on the nest hubs or cast them to a chromecast.

Let me know if you would like the changes to the app as well as the driver. It's a perfect progression to the fruits of your labor.

Long story short, your app has allowed my entire eco-system of 126 devices (blinds, switches, outlets, cameras, locks) to run 100% through hubitat. Google's only purpose now is a UI and voice control.

3 Likes

Glad this app helped you out, and I'm happy to accept community contributions to this app. My original idea was for this to be a collaborative effort with the Hubitat community. Just open a pull request over on the GitHub repo.

@mbudnek - Was installing this to try it out, and the first device type I decided to try was Motion, as the stock GH integration doesn't support that.

Will this work w/Motion sensors? I don't find a trait in the Trait's dropdown in the app settings that looks approprite for a motion sensor. I tried On/Off but that takes me into a secondary setup screen for a Switch.

Thanks!

Google currently does not have a trait for motion sensors. From what they've said there's one that they're testing that will be released "soon". See this issue on Google's issue tracker.

Thanks.

It is intereseting that my motion sensors from SmartThings show up in Google Home. Must be some trickery that SmartThings is doing...

Oh Man!! I just ordered 3 more Nest cameras.......Oh well LOL
This sounds like a great solution, I may have order a non nest camera in the future.

Been trying to set this up and stuck at the last step:
Step 26 works fine, then I hit authorize in step 27 at which point the Google Home app shows Signing In for a few seconds then just goes back to the page where you select the service to link.

I enabled debugging but no logs.

If you're not seeing the login screen at all, then check the OAuth configuration in your Google Action; specifically the client ID, client secret, authorization URL, and token URL.

If you're not seeing a SYNC request in your logs after you complete the authentication flow then it's likely an issue with your fulfillment URL. It should look something like https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/169f4cf4-b85f-40ff-8156-8fcd054c13ba/apps/123/action where 169f4cf4-b85f-40ff-8156-8fcd054c13ba is replaced with your hub ID and 123 is replaced with the app instance ID of your Google Home Community app instance.

I am seeing everything all the way until the end of the last step. Where I login to hubitat, select the devices and then click authorize. At that point it just goes into a "Signing In..." message for 10 - 15 seconds then goes back to the page I would select the services I want to link/is linked and shows Hubitat and Neato under linked.

The fullfilment url is correct.