All of my contact sensors just stopped working!

I don't recall but they're about 3 years old from my previous Wink system. The thing that bugs me is I didn't do ANYTHING and all of sudden they're all out and it's confirmed it's not a battery issue.

I had one maybe a month ago that needed a battery, and after replacing the battery it was off the network and nothing I did would make it pair or communicate. I replaced it with an identical spare V1 that paired quickly and easily.

I thought it was weird, and I hadn't seen anyone else say a thing about it.

Did you try changing the zigbee channel.

In my case they're all z-wave, and I didn't change any settings. While I couldn't tell you the day it happened it seemed to coincide with a recent firmware update.

What firmware are you on?
What hub do you own?
Also did you force remove the devices (which can cause ghosts) or were you able to exclude?
What sensors are you using?
Maybe a repeater device (like a smart switch, relay or repeater) between the hub and sensors has gone bad?

I had this happen with V1 sensors too...replaced them all with v2s as soon as I could

Ok this is insane...I was just trying to look up the hub and contact sensor info from the devices screen, so I could provide more info in this thread, when I noticed the device was properly reporting its status. Just for kicks I tried opening and closing the door and the sensor reported the actions correctly AND now ALL OF MY CONTACT SENSORS ARE WORKING!!! How is this possible that they all go offline for about TWO WEEKS and then all go back online on their own!?!?!?

Meanwhile I just spent about $200 on new Dome replacement sensors, this just fricken ticks me off so much!!!

I entrust my home and family to this systems, with z-wave smoke detectors, water sensors and shutoff, security door/window/motion sensors and programmed lighting but now I don't know if can trust all of this...what if there's a fire while I'm away and the sensors are offline and didn't give me any kind of warning, ugh!!!!

Ughh that sucks - you are not alone with over purchasing stuff (stares sadly at a pile of peanut smart plugs in the corner).

Likely the overnight repair processes resolved some of the issues. You still might be on the lookout for an errant repeater device though.

Also if you have a C-7 hub, make sure you update the Z-Wave radio firmware as well. Not sure if this would cause that behavior but it's something you have to do if upgrading the firmware. (only need to do this once)

Also make sure your hub is not overheating or in a place where heat could be an issue - that happened to me.

Lastly I would suggest (if you are up to it) getting a UZB-7 usb stick or equivalent (zooz s2) etc. You can use this to troubleshoot Z-Wave network issues behind the scenes including identifying and removing ghosts, upgrading firmware (you can do this now in HE as well tho!) etc.

As folks have said on this board many times, its probably not wise to entrust your home and family's security to a home automation platform that costs ~$100 and is still kind of a beta product. We are the un-paid beta testers.

Ok just confirmed I'm on a C-5 hub with firmware 2.2.3.135 and will have to look into the z-wave radio firmware which at a quick glance I haven't been able to find in the few menus I looked through...or do you mean device radio?

I'll confirm it's not overheating because it is sitting on top of a PC tower and near an unabstructed window.

And can you explain a little more what a UZB-7 usb stick does for troubleshooting? Or is there a thread that speaks to this? I'm a major techy so am not shy to troubleshooting...well depending on current level of procrastination haha:)

Z-Wave firmware update is for the C-7 only apologies if that was not clear..

...and thanks for everybody's help, much appreciate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a good (but older link) - you can get the newer UZB-7 instead of the UZB-3

Also check with @danabw about his experiences.

1 Like

great...thanks again.

2 Likes

Sorry one more thing - zniffing. So if you decide to grab a UZB-7, get 2...

With one you can join it as a secondary controller to HE - removes ghosts yada, yada, yada...

With the other you can flash the firmware (of the stick) and do some zniffing!!!!

Note: again these instructions are for the UZB-3, not sure if they have the zniffing firmware out for the UZB-7 yet.

edit: Zniffing seems to be only for UZB-3 at the moment.. unless someone has better google-fu than I right now.

1 Like

The issue I have with that is when reading the marketing material and ordering the device. It isn’t really clear that this is a “kinda beta-no promise it will work” device. If you dig into the community you will find 100s of unwritten rules and under documented “work arounds” to “features”....including that HSM is not intended to be a security or safety system.

From the terms of service #1.c:

c. Customer acknowledges that the Hubitat Platform is under continuous development, is not complete or otherwise at the final stage of development and that Hubitat makes no representation that the Hubitat Platform is error or bug free. Customer acknowledges and agrees that the Hubitat Platform may experience unscheduled downtime and agrees that Hubitat shall not be liable for any harm resulting from unscheduled downtime.

I feel like we're taking this "entrust our home" comment a little too seriously! Yes, I initiated that claim in my complaint on this thread...which has been repeated numerous times across MANY other threads. It is implied in buying a home automation system that you're "entrusting" your home's security to it TO SOME DEGREE, but that comes with the rational understanding that you're not actually placing 100% trust of your home's security to this few hundred dollar (US) system. If for example you had to maintain medical lab equipment, restaurant refrigerators or life support equipment (for the ill) running you wouldn't "entrust" your home's security with this system, you'd spend thousands of dollars for a professional system. BUT WITH THAT said, there is an implied trust that this system WILL WORK AS ADVERTISED! ...NOT work as written in a 5 point font legal disclaimer.

Yes, the sum total of the terms of service basically state that what you are buying a Software as a service that they can revoke at any time and the service is not guaranteed to provide any service whatsoever.

HUBITAT DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE SYSTEM WILL PROVIDE THE SPECIFIED SERVICE

It seems like there are numerous instances where something that seems so intuitive like “Hubitat safety monitor” being used as an alarm system, and Hubitat comes out and basically says that was not the intent of the system and they do not recommend it be used in that manner.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.