All my devices are not compatible. Any work around?

Many of us here have Schlage locks that work fine with Hubitat. I've had mine (BE469 Z-Wave) on Hubitat for going on 3 years now with zero issues. When I first moved over to Hubitat I made sure the lock was the last thing I added after I had fully established my Z-Wave mesh. As long as you have a solid Z-Wave mesh you may be happily surprised by how well your Schlage lock works on Hubitat.

1 Like

@user905 Start by giving us the make/model of your devices. Just because they're not on the compatibility list doesn't mean they aren't compatible. We'll help you get things set up. When you set up your hub immediately upgrade to the latest platform and update your z-wave stack.

During pairing of z-wave devices, if you get a failed pairing stop what you are doing. Power down the device. Go to your z-wave details page and check for a ghost (it will have nothing in the routing column), remove abs attempt to re pair. Also before pairing, factory reset all your devices.

1 Like

I think you meant to ask @user905? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ack!

2 Likes

Hello, I also just received my Hubitat last night and found out none of my HA devices are compatible, I really feel like I made a huge mistake buying this hub.

I am heavily invested in Alexa, My devices are:

Ring Alarm
Ring cameras
Ring sensors v2
Nest Thermostat
Wiz light bulbs
Tp Link Kasa Light switched
Amazon smart plugs
Tp link smart plugs
purchasing Aqara hubs and sensors soon

I have only been able to add Kasa smart switches to my hub, which are the only options on my dashboard.

The reason why I originally decided to buy Hubitat was to have a dashboard and run Alexa routines , access my cameras, and control thermostat, and switches, ... as of right now all I can do is turn on/off switches.

I'm hoping someone can help me and guide me in the right direction, if not I think I might return this hub.

Maybe its my fault thinking I could do all these things with Hubitat with my devices.

Ring sensors will directly connect to HE
Wiz and Kasa have integrations for HE (can be installed from Hubitat Package Manager)
Tp Link smart plugs do to... (Hubitat Package Manager)
Use Sonoff instead of aqara. You don't need a seperate hub for Aqara stuff, just use ikea repeaters.

Hubitat is not a fan of cloud based devices. Integrations can be done but it's general philosophy is local control only. Most of your stuff is not locally controlled. Some wifi stuff has local integration on HE (Lifx, Leaf, Shelly) that are native, and some wifi integrations have been done to the cloud as well but those are not native. To see what is compatible with hubitat, look at the hubitat compatibility list here.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

2 Likes

For the Ring gear you could look at:

Wiz lights might work with:

Aquara - some people can make work and others have issues, recommend reading some of the posts before proceeding.

The Amazon plugs should able to use the Amazon Echo Skill app and some virtual devices to enable control. (Don't actually need an Alexa device just an account.)

2 Likes

You don't really run Alexa routines on Hubitat. I guess you could do some virtual device and use that in Alexa routines, but Hubitat is much more powerful than Alexa it has more things to trigger from and potentially control. Also, in my opinion Hubitat is easier to use because you can use any computer and not a tiny screen.

Any particular reason why? The hub is definitely not needed with Hubitat. The sensors are hit and miss, I have a few but I certainly would not outfit a whole home with them. They are cheap for a reason.

I believe most if not all these can be joined with Hubitat.

I am not very familiar with these. But I believe that some of these have community based integrations or apps.

I don't mean to Minimize Hubitat or any hub, but that is a good part of what a hub does. But most people would introduce some automation into that so maybe your switches come on at a certain time, with motion, a door sensor, or similar and not just think of Hubitat being a fancy remote control. It could do that, but you would be very underutilizing it's abilities.

Most of us here started out on another ecosystem, maybe Wink, Alexa, or others. We found those systems lacking and we ended up here. Many times it was simple things like "why can't I make this light dim at different levels at different times of the day" Or artificial limitations like "you can't turn on this brand lightbulb with this different brand button".

A hub like Hubitat can tie many things together. It is great at doing so if the devices are compatible. Often times things that aren't compatible use a proprietary or non-standard protocols and they are prevented by their manufacturer from talking to other ecosystems. There is no reason for my garage door to be in a locked ecosystem, but it is. The garage opener company does not offer any lighting, any motion sensors, a thermostat, or much of anything else. But what if I want my porch lights to go on when I open the garage door? I ended up purchasing a different device that does work within Hubitat, and now I have control of things under my terms and I can tie the door to any automation I wish to.

You may want to describe more of your wants, needs, and goals with this project. If you just want to shout commands to Alexa, Hubitat isn't probably the right thing for you. However if you want to start building a home automation system, then you are probably in the right place. I think we would be glad to listen to you and help you make a decision.

3 Likes

thank you for the quick response, i did see Ring sensors do have integrations but I would like the Ring Alarm Hub to be able to integrate to be able to Arm and Disarm from the habitat dashboard, i will need to look further into the Wiz integration. The reason i was thinking of getting Aqara is because it plays nice with Apple homekit, but i will look into Sonoff.

That would use the ring unofficial integration available in the Hubitat Package Manager

2 Likes

You can use home bridge go expose all devices connected to Hubitat to home bridge

3 Likes

Hey @thebearmay i looked into that post for the Ring integration but the guy who created it says that he no longer has Ring and will not be updating it and it doesn't seem to safe or stable, I will look into the Wiz code you shared.

Asper the Aqara I read the same thing, that's my concern, not sure if I will have issues as well, for the amazon plug I don't see a way to add it , not even through the amazon echo skill.

@rlithgow1 but like i was saying to the other gentleman, the person who wrote the script says he left Ring and is no longer supporting it, not sure how secure the integration is. or do you know of anyone who is currently using it with no issues?

@rlithgow1 i was actually looking into that right now, this is all new to me.

would I need HE for homebridge? any advantages in keeping it?

The Aqara hub doesn't integrate with Hubitat. Most Hubitat users who need to use HomeKit use Hubitat-compatible zigbee/z-wave devices and then use HomeBridge (or HOOBS) to export them to HomeKit.

The Ring integration has the same status as any other integration whose developer has moved on. Someone else from the community (@morse.caleb) is maintaining it. While I don't use that integration, perusing that thread should indicate how many people still use it and if there are any issues with its use.

1 Like

@neonturbo
I guess in HE it would be rules, which I'm fine in setting up again on HE.

I wanted Aqara because I'm also looking into using Homekit and they are compatible.

The sensors can, but not arming and disarming the alarm system.

Most don't or if they do, they are very limited on what they can do.

I also started with another Ecosystem (Alexa) in my case, and I also got Hubitat to have all my HA devices in one app and have them work together, but I hit a brick wall when I found out that none of my devices were natively supported. If I had cheap HA devices I would understand but I have name brand devices that I have to rely on the community to be able to get it to work on HE.

The main reason why I wanted Hubitat is to have one app that I can use one dashboard on an Ipad to control my whole home with tiles, being that I can toggle light switches, control my thermostat, access my ring cameras , run rules to be able to change the locor of the lights in a particular room , see how much battery is left on my ring doorbell.

My issue is that i don't want to have to buy all new devices to work with Hubitat, i rather just go back to using Alexa with switches like Flic , or what I'm currently using Broadlink to run routines to not have to yell to my Alexa.

@aaiyar i am installing homebridge now to get other devices to work with Homekit.

as per the ring integration I will look into the thread, thanks

1 Like

To be clear HomeBridge is a one-way integration. It will help you get devices, such as Hubitat devices, into HomeKit. But it would export HomeKit devices to other systems.

1 Like

@aaiyar thats fine , i just want one place to be able to access all my HA devices .

1 Like

Many (most?) of us on Hubitat rely on it for automations. So while I do have about half my Hubitat devices on HomeKit (via HomeBridge), I use Apple Home very rarely - less than once a week.

Most of my devices rely on sensors to be controlled - for eg. sensor-dependent lighting, sensor-dependent HVAC control, sensor-dependent plant watering etc.

3 Likes