All Leviton Z-Wave devices intermittently fail and require power cycle

I got the firmware through Leviton support

I first reached out to custsvc@leviton.com and they transferred me to talk to corporatetechsupport@levitonpartnerportal.com which got my problem resolved. I had to sign some stuff to get access to the beta program - there were no issues getting access to the files.

The outlets are working great so far. I didn't have to power cycle them anymore!

4 Likes

Thanks so much. Reached out to them and they promptly included me into the program.

1 Like

I am just starting into the smart home lighting and my Hubitat is arriving today, and I'm about to start installing my Leviton Z-wave switches, dimmers, and fan controls.

I see several people refer to having gotten the beta firmware for the ZW15R outlets. But has anyone been able to get a beta firmware for the ZW4SF fan controls (and if so, did it fix the dropping issue as others have reported it did for the ZW15R outlets?).

Thanks!

I had the same problem with a few outlets so I requested access to the beta and was given the outlet firmware. Shortly after that I started having frequent issues with my single fan controller. Did you ever get anywhere with fan firmware? If not, maybe I should reach out now that I joined the beta program.

definitely reach out to the beta program at leviton

Thanks for this. Same problem here. I've contacted Leviton and will wait for the firmware.

Well, unfortunate news. One of my outlets that I flashed with the beta firmware has become unresponsive again. It worked without fail for a few months, now that it has some decorative lights plugged in it has been getting more use and has stopped working. Haven't had a chance to flip the breaker yet so if it turns out to be more than just that I will report back.

Anyone else have any issues after updating firmware?

EDIT: Just flipped the breaker and the outlet started working again.

1 Like

Ugh, that's still not a good sign... Man, I wish Leviton would take this f/w-update stuff more seriously - that beta's been going on for over a year now. These are great looking outlets, but lack of support is smoking their marketshare.

I suspect Leviton is quietly throwing in the towel on z-wave, and that would be a bummer.

1 Like

I basically stopped buying in wall outlets due to lack of options and the cost is, in my opinion, a bit excessive. I know theres more hoops to jump through for in wall outlets than plug in ones but these issues really forced me to stop buying in wall even though I much prefer them in a lot of areas. My GE in wall outlets have been flawless but I have a hard time spending 50 bucks an outlet on 500 series zwave devices.

1 Like

I hear ya, I'm mostly a wall-wart plug guy for all the obvious reasons. But purely for aesthetics, we have a couple kitchen counter ZW outlets instead of plugs.

One Leviton that gets occaissional use and is still OK on original f/w, but I had to put a trusty old GE in the other spot to replace a failed Leviton. As stupid as it sounds, the Levitons are a much nicer looking option (no big ZW logo, less obnoxious LED), so I'd love to go back to that. Plus, 700 > 500.

I've been meaning to contact them about getting in the Beta for a long time: I suppose I should - if nothing else, it'll at least help affirm that folks are still interested in a solution.

My Leviton DZ6HD dimmers are on firmware 1.22 and DZ15S switches on 1.23 and since updating them (6ish months ago?) I have not had any issues with any of them.

I have 3 of the ZW15R outlets. 2 of them need occasional power cycles. I will also reach out to them to see if i can get the newer fw.

What driver in Hubitat is everyone using? I am not able to control the green led on mine. It doesnt bother me so i never tried other drivers, but maybe I will.

The generic driver. I don't think there's anything else available.

It is a minor hindrance that the LED is not controllable from the driver, but you can change the setting via button presses. (I like 'on when on' for receptacles.) You can probably change it via a direct parameter setting, but it's just as easy -for me- to set it once as opposed to figuring out which parameter to send and how to send it.

1 Like

Just an update on my two ZW15Rs after updating the firmware over 5 months ago. Have not had any disconnects and the outlets have been without issue since the beta firmware update.

1 Like

For Leviton Z-Wave dimmer, I'm using this:

For the basic switches I am using the "Generic ZWave Switch" driver.

Here we are effectively years later from the "ZW15R firmware fixes are imminent" posts.

I sent an email over the holidays to the partnerportal group. I have a ticket and they just pointed me to the released page that only has the switches.

I am going to try to call tomorrow and see if I can get better service from these guys.

Ask to be connected to Scott Dudoussat -- he's the dude who picked up my 15R beta request ticket, and he was very nice & responsive. Hooked me up same day.

That all being said, I can't figure out why they haven't just released it - as you say, it's been well over a year (maybe even 2 by now?). I highly doubt there was a huge amount of rocket science in the fix, so just post the dang thing already.

1 Like

Well I did not get Scott but they escalated my request to Tier II and I shortly got an answer from somebody named David Hatty (Technical Support Manager) who told me there are no firmware updates to the ZW15R which is sort of bogus because I have 4 of them installed with 3 different revisions. .5 being the earliest one. I responded to the ticket saying I would be willing to enter the beta program but no answer.

I am wondering if something is going on with the ZW15R since it has been in beta forever and has never had a firmware release. I am wondering if after you got your beta update they basically shut it down.

How did the beta work? Did he send you to a page specifically for you or was it just a starting place that you could fill out all your info or did he just point you to an FTP site with the file.

Strike that - I just got an email from Scott!

1 Like

Any update on whether this beta firmware fixes the need to periodically power cycle the outlet?

I have not been able to get the firmware for mine. When i email them, i get canned responses back about how to update them, but it is for different devices. Maybe I will try to call the rep listed above today. Unless someone can share the file with me here or in a private message....