All devices inexplicably turned on at once

I do have an "all lights" group that I keep updated to include almost every light source in the house. Usually I only use it to turn everything off as part of a "shutdown" routine triggered when we set our alarm to "away". I had figured that someday I would integrate smoke/heat/fire sensors either directly or through the alarm panel, and that it might be a neat trick to flip every light in the house on in the event of a fire alarm.

Still though, that group can't explain this event because it doesn't appear in the logs, and many other types of devices were turned on which do not belong to the group (eg, my garage door was opened and the gas fireplace was ignited, both integrated using Hubduino devices by @ogiewon.

Yikes!

2 Likes

Yeah wow... that is not at all concerning... :scream:

Be thankful that you didn’t have the Tesla integration installed.

4 Likes

So.... if you unplug the power from the HubDuino device, and then power it back on after about 30 seconds, what happens? Does the garage door open or the fireplace turn on? If so, then you’ll need to modify the sketch and possibly rewire the relay you’re using to control these devices.

Dan,

I probably should not have @-ed you in that post. This is definitely not a Hubduino problem, for sure. We have power failures here with some regularity and this does not happen. All of my sketches are written with edge-cases in mind and perform as one would expect. I have been using four ESP8266-based devices which depend on your work for almost 2 years now and they have been very reliable and largely without problems.

2 Likes

Holy Geez - I had no idea such a thing existed.

I will resist the urge to integrate my Model 3 until I'm satisfied this issue is better understood or addressed. :wink:

1 Like

It's not as scary as it sounds. The fireplace is a self-contained insert with a thermocouple controlled pilot gas valve and I keep the glass doors zip-tied shut to keep our kids out of there.

Plus, my sketch has a "dead-man" switch written into it to shut the valve off after several minutes. If I want the fire to be on for longer, I have to physically get off my butt and flip a switch that I wired in parallel with the controller to shunt the path the ground.

As for the garage - at least I got a pushover notification on my phone that the door had been left open for more than 15 minutes...

4 Likes

That sounds like quite a gas--something that could really fire a person up. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Another thought.... Do you have a Google Home or Alexa device in the mix? I’ve seen a couple instances on here where the Hunches feature for those gets turned on (seemingly by the GH or Alexa device itself) and the device decides to randomly turn on or off devices.

4 Likes

That "hunches" thing brings corporate creepiness to a whole other level..

:satellite:

3 Likes

Nothing under hunches - but you got me pointed in the correct direction. It looks like I might have stammered last night when asking Alexa to turn off a light. She responded correctly to the first phrase, but wrongly to the second:

Interestingly though, my "All Lights" group from Hubitat is not exposed to Alexa. I also don't see a group with this name created by/within the Alexa app. At least now I know what happened and where to fiddle around to make a fix. For now, I've created an "All Lights" group in the Alexa app and added no devices to it, so that should dead-end a similar misunderstanding in the future...

3 Likes

In the absence of a specific list, and sometimes even with it, Alexa will go through its entire list of switches and lights when it thinks "all lights" has been invoked.

3 Likes

That's what I figured. How helpful...

Hopefully now that it's being fed an empty set, it will respect that boundary.

1 Like

Once again (puts on tinfoil hat) Alexa will grab ALL your devices if given the chance. Periodically I review my devices in Amazon to make sure only the devices I want exposed are included.. I don't need Amazon knowing all my life patterns.. :wink:

2 Likes

Had similar action a week ago. Coming home from dinner an alert of motion in the house and HSM triggered. Cleared it through Dashboard but upon coming home found our power had "flicked", turning lights on (which then turned off due to rules) but apparently, (guessing here) a Aoetec multi sensor USB powered, but battery in also, saw the lights all come on and signaled "movement" according to logs. Hub on USB so everything was fine after I killed to alarm.

I had multiple “phantom” Alexa turn everything on events last summer. But it wasn’t really phantom, it was my son who had moved home for a few months while relocating from the West Coast to DC.

In a basement TV room, I have a SmartThings button that turns on a few of the lights in that room with a single press and all of the lights with a double tap. I explained this to him multiple times. One day while driving up to the house I saw all of my outdoor lights turn on. When I got inside everything was on again. After speaking with him almost immediately after the event, he explained that when only some of the lights came on in the TV Room that he said something like “Alexa all lights on” or “Alexa turn everything on”. I explained to him that if he was in a room with an Alexa device all he needed to say was “Alexa, lights on” and all the lights in that room would turn on. That was the last everything on event I had. He then explained how much better his Google Assistant was than my Alexa.

1 Like

Ha! Kids these days.. :laughing:

1 Like

Now we know the easy way to turn on Lewis Heidrick's (@lewis.heidrick's) sprinkler.

2 Likes

I don't use alexa or have the integration. Good try though.

1 Like