Alexa

Yes, 12-20 seconds for the lights to respond, on or off, once triggered via the virtual device details page

All of my lights are GE Z-Wave switches or Dimmers, (12722 or 12724), no bulbs, bridges.... All are using the Generic Z-Wave Switch or Dimmer device types

I have a couple GE lights that respond in about 2 seconds, the rest don't

Each of the slow lights do respond properly when turned on/off individually

Ric

I assume you've tried running a z-wave repair?

Also, do you have any scheduled "Refreshes" of your GE Z-Wave switches? I originally had RM refreshing the status of my old GE z-wave switches, but it seemed to slow down all of the z-wave traffic. Once I disabled that, my z-wave mesh has been much happier.

I do still refresh one GE z-wave switch once per minute, as that switch's state is somewhat important (in the event it is manually turned on or off.) The once per minute refresh of one switch seems to be fine.

Hello again

Yes, ran a repair last Wed evening, zigbee the next night. No scheduled refreshes at all, haven't seen the need for them just yet

Rick

OK here is what I tried this evening

Alexa, turn on tv light, OK - light came on in 2 seconds
Alexa, turn on living room light, OK - light came on in 2 seconds
Same to turn each one off, 2 seconds

Now, Alexa, Goodnight (group that contains both lights), OK - 1 light went off in 9 seconds, the other in 15 seconds

Rick

So to be clear, this is a Hubitat group, and not lights grouped inside the Alexa app?

Correct
HE group called Goodnight Group

Group contains a few switches

Alexa app has a routine called Goodnight

Calling Goodnight Group to turn off

Rick

Okay so controlling this group via the hub UI page directly still displays the popcorn issue?

coreylista,

Not sure if I understand the popcorn reference unless you mean the lights go on/off rapidly... If so, then no, I have never reported that effect. My issue is the extreme delay in turning on/off the lights

From the HE device list, I select the Goodnight Group, select off, it took 1 light 8 seconds to turn off, 14 for the other. I then turned them on, 1 was instant, 1 was 6 seconds, the other 12

Rick

That is what I believe most of us consider the 'popcorn effect' - lights popping on/off at slightly different times instead of all at once.

2 Likes

Silly me, had no idea so I apologise

Now that I understand what your saying, how can I fix it?

Rick

Does this happen if you add lights to a group in the Alexa app?

Yes, that is how I originally had it setup. It all started last week right about the time the new HE Alexa skill came out so thought to try it but still no luck

Rick

Thanks for confirming. I wish I could be of more help, but I only have 3 groups of lights, and our living room lights that I control as a group on a regular basis. One "group" are Zigbee bulbs paired directly with the hub, but I don't specify them as a group, since I control them as a group, per se, I control them with a rule and button controller, both where I specify each of the two bulbs individually. They dim smoothly and fade to off smoothly most of the time. On occasion they popcorn when turning off.

The other groups are either Hue groups or Insteon lights grouped in a HomeKit scene. The insteon lights by design will turn off all together, but sometimes do popcorn off, but within a second of each other.

So taking Alexa out of the equation, this issue is happening when controlling the lights from the hub?

coreylista, are you asking for something different than the results I posted earlier? Maybe I am not following the question

Rick

Does the new skill still send commands directly over the local network like the old Echo app did via the Hue hub emulation? Just wondering how much, if any, has changed to C2C.

Well, good news, found the problem

One of the outlets in the group was not responding, therefore hanging up everything behind it. Once I excluded it, re-added it, now everything is working very well

It appears to have stopped working just about the same time I added the new Skill, just a coincidence I guess

Rick

3 Likes

Just set up another hub and unfortunately it updated before I was able to install the Echo App. Until the skill is made available North of the 49th is there anyway to install the Echo App on my hub?

Live in hope that its soon, the only thing that's stopping me unplugging ST for good.

If you're not using Amazon Music, shopping via Alexa or using "Alexa, where's my stuff", then you can open a US Amazon account and you'll have access to not only all the skills, but Pandora too. No VPN required for access.

Just open the account, but don't enter a credit card. I think I did it without my US VPN enable too. I know that when I access Amazon.com, I'm not on a VPN. I'm American and have a US account, but I also setup a US account for my son to use Alexa on his Kindle Fire 8 and it wasn't necessary to add a credit card to the account.

On my Echo's I use my US account because I get all the latest skills and Pandora. I was able to get Amazon to link my Canadian Amazon Music to my US account login, so that is possible too. Might be a little different, since I do have a US credit card linked to my US account. Anyway, the point is, it's possible. I also prefer the US Alexa voice.

1 Like