Alexa virtual SWITCH WITHOUT alexa skill

I'm new to Hubitat and I'm unable to do something that was really useful in Smartthings.

I want to create a virtual switch in HE and i'd like to see it in Alexa.

The problem is that I'm in Canada (Quebec) and we don't have access to the Hubitat skill in Alexa. So I tried the HE app Amazon Echo App and I created different switches and was never able to see them in Alexa.

Is it possible to do it without the HE Skill in Alexa ?

Thank you for your help.

I am almost 100% certain that Hubitat's Alexa Skill is available in Canada. I am tagging @bobbyD and @SmartHomePrimer for confirmation.

3 Likes

I can confirm that it is available in Canada - in English. I am using it myself in New Brunswick. Not sure if it is available in French though...

4 Likes

Actually, it is not, Quebec region requires Canadian French.

3 Likes

An option might be to setup Alexa in English instead, and then change the device languages to English/French. That is the setup that I am using and it works.

3 Likes

Yes, it is possible. I just ran a test to see if the "Amazon Echo App" still works the way I remember it from back in the early days of Hubitat (circa March 2018.) I created a Virtual Switch on my Hubitat Hub (my development C7 hub) and made sure to manually change its state to on and off to verify normal behavior. I then installed the built-in "Amazon Echo App" app on my hub, and selected the Virtual Switch that I had just created to be shared with Alexa. I made sure I clicked DONE after adding the virtual switch, which tells the Amazon Echo App that I am done with my changes and to start using the new the new device. Finally, I said "Alexa, Discover Devices" and within a a minute, Alexa announced that she had found my new Hubitat Virtual Switch device. I could then control it via voice without any issues.

So, it does still work. However, as I recall, many users struggled to get Alexa to properly discover their devices using the old "Amazon Echo App". For some, it had to do with complicated network designs, with multiple VLANs or specific network hardware.

The way in which this old integration works is by having the Hubitat hub emulate a Philips Hue bridge device. Thus, only switches and dimmers function using this integration. The Hubitat Skill must be used for motion sensors, contact sensors, temperature sensors, fan controllers, etc... as the old integration does not supports those device types.

2 Likes

Wow, you're all fantastic to answer so fast ! I also think the problem is because in Quebec they require a french version.

@Sebastien: I changed all my Alexa devices to English/French but you said: An option might be to setup Alexa in English instead

Where can I do that ? Is only setting the devices is enough ? Because I still do not see the skill.

Sorry but I'm new to HE and have a lot to learn. How can I do that ?

Nothing additional or special for you to do in order for that to happen. By installing and configuring the old "Amazon Echo App" app on your Hubitat Hub, that is what happens. I was just explaining the technology behind how that particular Alexa integration works.

The newer Hubitat Skill for Alexa works by connecting your Hubitat Hub to the Amazon Cloud directly, which is the way almost every other Alexa Skill works these days. :wink:

1 Like

Good question! I never had to make such a change... I would start with the account settings - when I looked quickly earlier, I didn’t see anywhere that mentioned language other than at the device. Maybe also temporarily setting the phone to English and using the app in English may work?

1 Like

I found ! I had to change the language of my phone, not the app. Thank you, now I will try to create a virtual switch that works on both side.

2 Likes

I'm still unable to see my switch in Alexa. Which type I should select so I can use it in Alexa routine ?

Have you confirmed that the virtual switch is selected in the Amazon Echo Skill? If it doesn’t have a check mark, it won’t appear in Alexa. In my case, when I add a device and click Done, I get a notification almost instantly from Alexa that it found the new device...

I tried many different types and see that when using a contact sensor I see it in Alexa routine in the condition AND in the actions. But when using the Alexa dimmer I only see it in the actions, I cannot define a condition on it. I guess that's normal.

Thank you for your help, at least now I know taht it corks.

Yes, you can not use switches as triggers unfortunately. There exist some drivers that do both at the same time. I have some of those setup and they work great!

1 Like

It is normal, and fortunately there is a workaround.

Create a virtual device on Hubitat using @ogiewon's virtual motion with switch driver. This device can be controlled as a switch at the Hubitat end, and is exposed to Alexa as a motion sensor, which can be used to trigger an Alexa routine.

1 Like

A 'Switch" device can be used as part of an Action in an Alexa Routine. However, it cannot be used as a Trigger for an Alexa Routine.

For Alexa Routine Triggers, use a Virtual Contact Sensor or a Virtual Motion Sensor (or a real one if applicable.) And just to make sure it is clear, these sensor devices can only be shared from Hubitat to Alexa using the modern Hubitat Skill (i.e. "Amazon Echo Skill"), not the old deprecated "Amazon Echo App".

2 Likes

@ogiewon: Perfect thank you to you and to ALL !

2 Likes

Hummm, I just found that I can trigger an Alexa routine directy from HE, so my virtual switches are good but will be less used ! :slight_smile:

These forums are so useful with people like you all !

2 Likes

Using "Echo Speaks" ?