Alexa unable to trigger switch from Routines

I have a few virtual switches setup in hubitat that are setup to turn off/on things when they are triggered.

They are discovered in Alexa as dimmers (even though they are switches) and I can set them up in Routines. However if I try to trigger the routine they will never fire.

I can trigger them from Alexa other ways so the switches work. Just not via a routine.

Any ideas as to what may be happening here?

Put the switches into a group via either Hubitat Groups or via Alexa Groups and then they will work when you add them to a routine. It’s a quirk of not having an Alexa Skill that not everyone runs into, but I certainly do. Adding to a groups always solves the issue.

Thanks for the tip. But no luck. In hubitat I created a group and put my virtual switch in it. I then assigned that group in Alexa to a routine and it doesn't fire. It does fire if I select the group manually.

I'm trying to manage everything via hubitat and this worked in the 'other hub' so must be a reason alexa isn't firing these virtual switches.

Edit: updated quote.

Let me look at mine. And might I say that’s an odd quote and not what I intended to be the message! :rofl:

HAHA… I just realized it only quoted that line as I now looked at it. No worries. I know what you meant.

OK, so virtual switches still don’t work when they’re just added to routines, but if I add them to Alexa Groups, and then add that to Routines, it works. Hubitat Groups were previously “Alexa Groups”, a feature created to resolve this issue, among others. Perhaps it’s broken at the moment.

Makes sense. Thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully support will see this and take a look. At least there is a work around for now.

1 Like

Couldn’t duplicate the issue.

1. Created a group in HE named “test alexa groups” containing a virtual switch.
  2. Added that to the HE Amazon Echo app
  3. Discovered in devices in Alexa iOS app

I tested by saying “Alexa, turn on test alexa groups” and it worked. I then added the test alexa groups device to a routine, and that worked too.

Yup. Exact same routine for me. But it doesn’t fire.

I added my virtual switch to an Alexa group and used that in my routine and that works as a work around.

My hub is at the latest version as of last night. I wonder if my Alexa has a different version. I am based in Canada and I know we are always behind with features.

I’m in Toronto, but my Echos are attached to a US Amazon account. I doubt that has anything to do with it, but maybe.