Alexa skill controls device but says the device is not responding

No mine is constant after switching to hubitat. Nothing I do seems to fix the issue.

@dustin and @chad2, what specific devices are you receiving this Alexa response from? There are some known devices that have this issue, like the old Leviton Z-Wave switches/dimmers.

Bring up the device details page on the hub, and watch the status of the switch when you tell Alexa to change the status. Does the Hubā€™s status change in a timely manner, or at all? If the device does not behave correctly/timely within Hubitat, then the status change will not be sent to Alexa, and thus the message youā€™re receiving.

Also, make sure youā€™re installing the Alexa Skill for Hubitat from within the Alexa Mobile App on your phone. This will prompt you to log into your Hubitat account, select your hub, and will then automatically install the ā€œAmazon Echo Skillā€ App (not the deprecated Amazon Echo App) on your hub. You can then select the correct list of switches, dimmers, motion sensors, and contact sensors to expose to Alexa from within the ā€œAmazon Echo Skillā€ app on your hub.

I know, somewhat of an old thread but have recently started getting this DNR message after the latest update, C3, running 2.2.2.129

Scene has 3 bulbs in it, 2 are GE ZWave (non plus) and 1 is a GE ZWave Plus. I can ask Alexa to turn on/off each light several times with no DNR message, if I ask her to turn on/off the scene, I get the DNR

Any solutions yet?

Yep... In the Amazon Echo Skill app on your hub, near the bottom, try enabling the feature circled in red below.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, I enabled that many months ago when I first experienced the same thing, it was still enabled...

Anything else to try?

Ummm, that particular feature that I circled above was new in Release 2.2.2...Which was released in July. So, Iā€™m not sure how you could have had it many months ago...:thinking:

1 Like

Guess my memory slipped a bit, what I know is, it was already enabled when I checked today

My understanding is if that feature is enabled, then Hubitat will tell Alexa immediately that its request has been completed. That should, in theory, eliminate the ā€œDevice Not Respondingā€ issue. Personally, my system never has that issue. Alexa just always works.

Tagging @bcopeland to see if he has any other ideas.

1 Like

So the issue is with scenes? Iā€™ll check out that route and see if there is something inherently different that would be causing a problem.

3 Likes

If the problem is with scenes and it could be fixed, that would be fantastic. It is kind of an annoying issue.

Yea.. Wasnā€™t aware of this.. I donā€™t use scenes..

Any progress on this?

I'm still getting the announcement even though the Respond Immediately option is enabled

I dont know your setup, but I was getting this, driving me wonky. Then I worked out (somehow) that wife had changed the Alexa to her account, and I had not updated her account to work correctly with the updated devices IDs.

1 Like

How did you do this? My biggest complaint w/ Alexa is that it works great if in my account but rarely works if in wife's account and I have to ask Alexa to switch accounts then ask her to do what I originally wanted her to do. At that point, I could have walked over and turned off light.

1 Like

Good evening All, I have just updated my C5 to the latest software (2.2.4.139) Everything so far is working well with the exception of my Iblind and Alexa. I can control everything just fine through Alexa, but the Iblind gives me the error:

and states device not responding when in fact it does respond just fine.

I have deleted the Hubitat Amazon Alexa Skill, deleted IOS Alexa Skill and reinstalled everything. All other devices seem to work just fine through Alexa with the exception of the Iblind. I am a bit stumped here to why the other devices seem to work fine, but this one throws an error?

Any thoughts?

Well, an update to this - I am no longer receiving errors within the logs. I am still getting the "I'm not quite sure went wrong" response from Alexa. Iblind still opens and closes though. Still not quite sure why this single device is giving me grief.

There's a new switch on the Echo Skill (Hubitat) that fixes this for fans

wonder if it also fixes blinds...

It doesnā€™t .. But Iā€™ll check into the issue

1 Like

@bcopeland
I still have this issue of Alexa telling me that the device (fans) is not responding but it was. I say was because now it will not set the fan speed but it does turn it on and off. It still responds that she "Is not quite sure what went wrong". I talked to a friend of mine that just set up Hubitat on a new hub and he is having the same issue.

Nevermind, I found the switches in the Hubitat Alexa app that seem to fix this issue,

I have this issue with an Inovelli switch. Enabling that option (ā€œRespond immediatelyā€) in the Alexa app details causes Alexa not to respond verbally complaining. But if I go to the Alexa app and go to my dimmer there, when I turn it off it goes off in app and physically but then a few seconds later Alexa shows it on again even though itā€™s still off. Expected? Any fix for that? Hereā€™s a screen recording: Alexa / Hubitat bug - Album on Imgur