Alexa Routines for Modes and Scenes

I am finding it impossible to automate the changing of modes or scenes in Alexa.

I have two scenes that are set up in Hubitat, and are configured to show up in Alexa. I can see them in my devices list in the Alexa app. However, I am unable to see them in the Routines area, and Alexa does not allow me to create routines from them.

I also tried to set up Modes with virtual switches following the ideas in this thread (Easier way to change modes from Alexa?), but with the same results. My virtual switches are visible in Alexa's device list, but not available in Routines.

All I want to do is make it possible for me to change modes by telling Alexa to "turn on Bedtime", etc. I was able to do that easily in SmartThings, and this is probably the most frustrating thing I've encountered so far in Hubitat.

Can anyone walk me through what they do for this?

Switches are not available as triggers for Alexa routines. However, you can add user driver https://raw.githubusercontent.com/stephack/Hubitat/master/drivers/Virtual%20Contact%20Sensor%20with%20Switch.groovy and treat the device either as a switch or a contact (contacts can be triggers in Alexa routines).

@HAL9000 Thanks. Apparently Amazon overnight decided to recognize the switches.

Not to trigger routines. I just tested it and it still only recognizes motion sensors and contact sensors for triggering an Alexa Routine. Unless this is a change that hasn't rolled out to everyone yet.

1 Like

That would be nice, but I'm not seeing that either. Could be a gradual rollout.

Verify once again that you see a switch to select from when creating a routine and setting "When this happens ...". If so, what driver is that switch using on the Hubitat side?

Yup, it works. I have an Alexa routine switching the virtual switch, which then changes the Mode, which then triggers a webCoRE piston.

Hubitat switches are set up with the Virtual Switch type:

Right. That's an output of the routine, not the input to trigger the routine.
What you have done has always been supported, and it's what you wanted, so it's not wrong.

1 Like