Alexa or Google in 2023

I have always used Alexa for all my smart home integrations since Alexa was first produced, and although she works very well for automations her general knowledge is sometimes a let down.
I have been thinking for while of ditching Alexa and moving to Google Home and have ordered a Google Home Mini to have a play.

I was wondering what peoples opinions are of Alexa vs Google home?
Can Google do everything (and more) that Alexa can do in HE?

I was an early adopter of Alexa, but gradually switched over to Google. I think with their new Home app, they are finally offering more built-in features than Alexa, plus with Hubitat Chromecast (Beta) integration, pushing text to speech to Google devices is a breeze. I am 99% Google now. If you are Android user, Google Assistant has better OS integration than Alexa will ever have.

5 Likes

I am Android Pixel user and this is part of the reason I'm thinking of moving over.

1 Like

Personally, I’m wondering if a mini HomePod may be better than both as it appears that it may be heading toward having more local control capability than either of the other two. Don’t think it’s there yet, but its vector may be heading that way.

2 Likes

I left google for Alexa after Google lost the Sonos lawsuit and they were forced to hobble things that I specifically went with google for in the first place. Then between Amazon pairing down their home automation division and the loss of echo speaks (I didn't feel like setting up a local version) I wen't to Homepod mini's. They weren't that expensive. They have much better sound and we can airplay everything for multiroom music. @bcopeland has indicated that TTS is coming for Homepod's (He also switched) but he has a some other projects in the forge that need to come first. I have a get around for that I just haven't implemented yet which will carry me through until that happens, but again. Function-wise and sound-wise, I really do prefer the Homepod Minis. The only caveat is you do need to have an Iphone or Ipad to set them up. They are also obviously homekit hubs and thread border routers so that's an additional bonus. My less than 2 cents...

1 Like

So, what is the least expensive Ipad/Iphone you can get for a household that has zero stock in apple products? Assume they only need wifi and don't have to be a carrier activated item?

So, I have a smattering of speakers throughout the house. I use Google primarily, and Alexa for a few minor things.
Google is by far better at linking with HE for voice controlled automations, at least for the use cases in our house. (Mostly opening the garage and turning on/off lights and TV's) Everything else in the house is automated and doesn't require Google or Alexa.

I also have a Bose Portable that claimed Google Home and Alexa capabilities. However, at the time I purchased it, the Google capabilities were hampered by no chromecast and the inability to stream specific music sources (Namely - Pandora) to the actual speaker. So, while I could voice control the house with Hey Google, I couldn't use it with Google for the primary purpose I bought it for. Bose wanted you to use their app - touch control only. And, I bought the speaker for the hot tub so I wouldn't have to touch it. So, I set it up with Alexa.

I also found that one particular routine actually worked better as an Alexa routine with an HE trigger. (Complicated set up, but our phone alarms trigger through Tasker to turn on a virtual switch where Alexa speaks our daily agenda, the weather, and a few other things). I believe Google now has that same capability. But, I already have Alexa set to do that and don't want to bother changing things just to test. Bose also added Chromecast. So, now if I set that up in addition, I can still at least use it for TTS.

So, my response would be not to rely on either system as a sole source for everything. There will be use cases that one can perform that the other cannot and vice versa. The trick is figuring out what works for you.

1 Like

Find an iPhone 8 somewhere

1 Like

Does it tie it to whoever's account is on the device? Could I "phone a friend" who has one? Or do I need my own account? LOL

Sticking with the Alexa/Echo ecosystem, for a number of reasons:

• Family and friends familiar with it
  • Mobile app rocks for Lists and Routines
  • Cheap to expand/replace
  • Interoperates with Hubitat
  • Works in car
  • Easy to bring on vacation
  • Ties in nicely with Whole Foods, Amazon (purchasing, status and deliveries)

I do have another household set up for Google (Nest Hub Max and Mini), but use none of its automation features there, only A/V tie-ins (YouTube, Roku, etc.) and photo display. Great for weather reports, news, basic info and Googling.

Won't give Apple a dollar of my money, due to a personal grudge going back nigh on 35 years.

5 Likes

And their books indicate they’re really missing your business.

:smile:

6 Likes

You'll have to create an apple id and you could FaceTime

1 Like

I also started with Echo's. Had a couple Google Mini's and started using them for TTS. Have now eliminated all the Echo's. Have started adding HomePods which I really like. So if we ever get TTS to those I will probably get rid of the Googles.

I used to be a die hard Android person. Had some problems with a phone and decided to try Iphones. Couldn't be happier. Now my wife and I both have Iphones and Ipads. Plus several HomePod Mini's. Everything just seems to work together better. And my Apple TV using 2 HomePod Mini's for sound is great.

2 Likes

Very similar to my experience. For over a decade, I had Google-branded Android phones (the Nexus series), and then Google Pixel phones. I would flash them with custom ROMs (CyanogenMod for the Nexus phones; Lineage for the Pixels).

At work, and home, my computers have been Macs since OS X was released. Because it gave me the combination of a programming environment I was familiar with, along with a GUI for the rest of my needs.

At the start of the pandemic, my last Pixel died a sudden death. And a few of my former trainees (I'm an educator) persuaded me to switch to using an iPhone. And I couldn't be happier. I haven't had to tweak anything to meet my needs - whatever I need just works.

I haven't made the switch to HomePods yet, but I suspect I will be doing that this year. Especially if @danabw decides to sell his :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey, don't give Sonoff credit where there is none to give, maybe Sonos had better lawyers :rofl: ..The push as "local assistant" started with Alexa and was followed by others in various forms. Ultimately, everyone will realize that using local processing is the only way forward!

5 Likes

For what it is worth, the only real credit there goes to the lawyers...... just sayin

Sonoff != Sonos

But we know what you meant :smiley:

3 Likes

I think you meant:

"...the only real money goes to the lawyers..." :wink:

Sadly (for you, my friend) this weekend my wife actually asked me if we have a Homepod or can get some last weekend. My jaw dropped to the floor. 1) How the heck does she know what a Homepod is?!; and 2) She never wants more home automation stuff. Just never.

Turns out her best friend loves loves loves her Homepods and was gushing about them when they went to lunch the other day. So still awaiting further discussion, but this could be a game-changer in our house, and might end up w/me not having any extra to sell. I'm still in shock, frankly.

Maybe if I can get her friend to tell her that automated shades in the bedroom are amazing maybe I can finally get her to cooperate on that one.

6 Likes

Time to get some iPhones!

1 Like

That too