Alexa not giving full verbal reply

I've noticed that if I have Alexa change my thermostat the response is different than it was on ST.

If I say "Alexa, set the thermostat to 77"

On SmartThings it replied "The AC is set to 77"

On Hubitat there is a longer delay and Alexa replies "is set to 77".

The first part is truncated. I'm guessing something isn't getting transmitted somewhere. This is on a C7 with a Honeywell TCC controlled thermostat. It does work it just seems incomplete with the response like it is.

Note that the log shows the following error frequently:

DEV:3 is my thermostat but at the time of those two calls there was nothing going on involving Alexa so I don't know why that error occurs. App41 is the Amazon Alexa Skill.

Is the Honeywell TCC thermostat using a Hubitat built-in driver? Or a community driver? If the latter, you may want to ask the developer to take a look and see if there is something amiss that could be causing those errors in the logs. For example, if the TCC driver is setting an attribute to an invalid value, it could cause issues with the Alexa Skill which is expecting only a specific set of values per the Device Capabilities definitions. For example, I see the Operating State being set to "Idle" whereas the standard says it should be set to "idle"... Sometimes something as simple as an uppercase character is enough to mess things up.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Driver_Capability_List#ThermostatOperatingState

I am guessing that each time Hubitat gets an update for your thermostat, it sends an update to Alexa to keep the data synchronized between the two systems.

Thermostats, temperature, fans, and shades were all very recent additions to the Hubitat Alexa Skill. I believe the main developer for the skill at Hubitat is @bcopeland. Unfortunately, as soon as these features were added, the C-7 hub was released which became a very high priority for @bcopeland. He worked tirelessly getting the new 700 series Z-Wave chip/stack working properly. Hopefully, now that things seem to have settled down a bit, he will have some spare time to look at the Alexa Skill issues that have been reported.

2 Likes

I get the same thing with my thermostat on a C-3 (Generic Z-Wave Thermostat driver). I've chalked this up to the busy-ness mentioned above--I think they were aware of some minor issues here--and assume it will get fixed. If not, I'm bring it up when things have calmed down for them. :slight_smile: As far as I can see, it's fine functionally.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.