Alexa Not Finding Your Devices?

Try creating an Alexa Group, add your device to the Group, and then tell Alexa to turn on/off the group to see if that helps.

Where do you add a group in the hubitat UI? I'm not seeing an option.

Create an ‘Alexa Group’ inside the Amazon Alexa app on your phone/tablet.

The "on" and "off" buttons in the hubitat UI aren't even turning the outlet on and off. Shows the status and power usage though, if I manually turn the outlet on and off. Something tells me an Alexa group isn't going to change that.

Oh, well that’s a different problem, eh? :wink:

What type of outlet are you trying to use? What Driver did Hubitat auto-assign during the pairing process?

It's a Samsung dimming outlet (Centralite 4257050-RZHAC). Hubitat selected the "Zigbee Generic Outlet" driver.

I don't see a 'Generic Zigbee Dimmer Outlet' driver available... You could try some of the other drivers designed for dimmable switches/bulbs to see if that would work. But you may lose power monitoring capability. @mike.maxwell may need to look at adding support for that device. Wish I could be more help.

I didn't say "Zigbee Generic Dimmer Outlet". I said "Zigbee Generic Outlet". :slight_smile:

Yes, I understand that. I looked for another driver that might fit better. Thus my comment about not finding one that I thought would work. My hypothesis being that the dimmer version may be unique. I have a Centralite non-dimmer Outlet and it works fine using the 'Zigbee Generic Outlet'.

Seems as if my problems are bigger… I’ve now added a Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan Controller and the buttons for that device (configure, off, on, etc) don’t do anything either… I’ll start a new thread, when I can…

1 Like

This link could be useful to some viewing this thread since it also fixed my Alexa issue.

1 Like

Just want to chime in and say that this has been the only method that has worked for me.

For anyone just arriving to this thread because of diffculty in getting Alexa to discover devices - if you haven't read through the entire thread the most important post is probably this one from @patrick that explains Amazon's somewhat strange method of choosing which of your Alexa devices is responsible for local device discovery.

Long story short, it can be a bit of a challenge getting Hubitat devices discovered by Alexa, but an Alexa Skill is being worked on and it will hopefully get easier soon.

So this is what I have done and still no luck:

1. Removed Alexa from ST;
  2. Removed all smartthome skills from Alexa;
  3. Actually unplugged all Alexa’s and move one Alexa to my closest router);
  4. Installed hubitat app;
  5. Rebooted the hubitat (at least 5x);
  6. Tried find find devices and scenes using: alexa app; voice; website

STILL NOTHING!

Just curious since this is such a mysterious issue that is only affecting some users. When you unplugged you other Alexa devices, did you wait for 1 hour before trying again? @patrick had suggested that it is not immediate when the “master” is changed.

Yes. I waited several hours.

I do have an eero mesh network.

I also use an eero system. Initially, I could only get my devices to be discovered by opening the Alexa app and manually discovering scenes. This would force a full device and scene discovery.

Today I decided to find my master Echo like @Patrick suggested earlier in this thread. Well guess what. I asked my kitchen echo to discover my devices and it worked.

1 Like

I am pretty sure its once a week. Not sure when specifically though.

Would unplugging all echos and leaving just one plugged in force that one to become the master?

I honestly don’t know. I just tested in each room till it worked.

1 Like

Couple of suggestions from around the web. The first one is likely Hue specific and shouldn’t be a factor, but I checked and do indeed have the Hue Skill enabled in my account :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

https://gtrusted.com/how-to-link-the-philips-hue-to-amazon-alexa

and

Some suggestions from the Hue developers forum

and

This next https://github.com/alexa/alexa-smarthome/issues/28one is interesting, but it’s for @patrick and staff, because we cannot change this if it needs changing. It suggests a specific Emulate Hue Hub version

Lastly, this is also for the Hubitat devs, but it appears to only apply to skill development and it probably doesn’t apply at all in this case, but it’s worth pointing to. Apparently the lambda function must be created in US East (N. Virginia) for US English skills, not US West, which it turns out is for Japanese and Australian English. Who knew!