Alexa Not Finding Your Devices?

Yeah... That's the down side of the apple airport Extreme, the number of configs you can do are limited. So the Airport Extreme has QoS, but as far as I can tell, it decides whats best for you and there is no way to turn it off.

That could very well be the problem then, depending on how much other stuff you have running on your network. If you limit your network devices to just the hubitat and the Alexa device, does that change anything?

That's going to be tough to do. I have many connected devices that I would need to manually remove from my network. All of my nest protects would need to be configured for offline individually. Even if I kill the breaker they are on, the batter backup kicks in.

@oldernstone Since @bravenel is using the newer Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme, and I also tested an older Time Capsule, yet neither of us experience an issue, it seems there is something else at play. Still I wonder about a possible issue with the specific firmware version. A different router would help eliminate any further questions to that effect.

That’s why I suggested limiting the devices on the network to see if there was a conflict. Maybe something else is flooding the router and the UPnP responses are getting delayed or lost?

You could just change the SSID of the Airport Extreme router. This would kick every WiFi device off of the network. Then, just re-add the Amazon Echo to using the new SSID. In 5 minutes you’d have a very clean home network. You only have three LAN ports on the AE Router, so you could unplug any devices other than the Hubitat hub and give it a try.

After testing, simply change the SSID back to the original and all of your devices will reconnect. Still have to re-add the Amazon Echo back…

Another test would be to add a small network switch between the Hubitat hub and the Airport Extreme Router. Sometimes, just having one extra network hop is enough to change the timing to make or break things.

Good idea, tried this.. didn't work

1 Like

I should have time tonight to try this... but me and @patrick have done similiar - we completely removed the ST hub (and batteries), then had only one Echo and the Hubitat (there were a handful of other devices) on the network.. didn't help.

I’m a little confused by the mention of UPnP. I always turn off UPnP in my routers and I can confirm it is indeed turned off in my router right now, yet discovery works without issue.

That is interesting, because I was told UPnP was needed for the Hubitat to be discovered

I thought UPnP was required too for local discovery. Philips branded Hue Hubs can also be discovered by nUPnP too which is the cloud service rather than the local network. Philips are pushing support implementors heavily towards this. Could your discovery that works be using the cloud login ?

You don’t need UPnP on in the router, that is not required for Hubitat. The hub uses UPnP for discovery, but that is separate from the router UPnP setting.

2 Likes

I will put my experience out here as I consistently have to follow these steps in order for this to work:

1. Login to alexa.amazon.com via computer browser.
  2. Navigate to Smart Home \ Devices \ Forget All
  3. Open SmartThings Amazon Connect app and make sure none of my old devices remain and click save
  4. Open Hubitat Amazon app and make sure my devices are selected.
  5. Reboot the Hubitat hub
  6. Run discovery through alexa.amazon.com via computer browser

Step 5, rebooting Hubitat, is the only thing that ever gets the Hubitat devices discovered. I tried all the steps above minus the reboot and the SmartThings devices are discovered but never Hubitat. After a reboot, the Hubitat devices are discovered.

2 Likes

I already have a switch, and it still doesn't work. I will test the SSID suggestion after I am done working.

I'll try this tonight.. I know I've tried all of these steps, but maybe not in this particular order..

Thanks..

1 Like

I will give this a try and let you know. I think I tried this, but to be honest I've tried so many things at this point, that they all seem similar.

2 Likes

@ritchierich - Didn’t work

:sob: Bummer. I do wait a few minutes after the Hubitat reboot to make sure its fully up and running. Assume you did the same, if not run a discovery again and see if they magically appear.

@ritchierich - didn’t work…

I added a step 7. Discover “scenes” since that has worked for some.

… nothing

So I found an old router I can use for testing, so I believe I can hook up the old router to a port on the Airport Router and then connect Echo and hubitat to old router. This would still allow them internet access but It may result in a double NAT issue, correct? Will that impact how the echo functions just for this test?

My wife and I work from home and finding time to test these hardware changes can be tricky because I can’t take the network down at all.

(Who knew there would be a day when you had to schedule a change on your home network. LOL)

2 Likes