Alexa Not Finding Your Devices?

Thanksā€¦IPv6 already set like thatā€¦ donā€™t see what changing the ip range from 10ā€¦ to 192ā€¦ will doā€¦ I have no issues with any other devices on my network ā€¦ only that Alexa cannot find Hubitatā€¦ I have a support ticket in with Amazon right now, so weā€™ll see what they say

Just something to try. Wonā€™t hurt anything. I have experienced devices not routing properly otherwise.

Youā€™re not likely to get much help from Amazon in this. You have a pre-release product that is emulating a Philips Hue bridge for device discovery. Not supported is a possible response.

Todd,

Do you have an existing Hue Bridge device? If so, does Alexa detect it? Just trying to help narrow it down to the network versus Alexa/Hubitat. Do you have a ST hub? Is the Hubitat hub detected within SmartThings as a Hue Bridge?

Is the Hubitat hub hard-wired directly to the Airport Extreme via Cat5? I have seen problems where people use an Ethernet-to-WiFi bridge device to make a hard-wired device into a WiFi device. Some of these bridges do not pass through all of the traffic necessary for the discovery process to work correctly.

If you have another WiFi router that you can use for testing, it might be interesting to see if there is any change in behavior.

Thanks for the suggestions -

Yes, I have a Hue Bridge and Alexa sees it fine.
My ST hub sees the Hubitat as a Hue Bridge
Hubitat hard wired into Airportā€¦
I donā€™t have another Wifi router but weā€™ve tried some things like removing ST from network, unplugging all but one Echo, support here has been greatā€¦ itā€™s just not working

2 Likes

Iā€™d be inclined to pop down to Best Buy, pick up a different router and try it. If it works maybe thatā€™s your new router if not, return it.

The AirPort Extreme isnā€™t in Bridge mode is it? No double NAT situation?

I know I may have mentioned this before, but have you tried to discover SCENES in the Alexa app. Itā€™s the only way my new devices get detected and it works every time for me.

Nope, not in bridge modeā€¦

yeah, thanks, iā€™ve been doing both devices and scenes since your postā€¦

This is exactly what I have and I am having the same problem. I also have the same results as you.

1 Like

So maybe try bridge mode if you havenā€™t already. If you arenā€™t in bridge mode and your ISP router also isnā€™t in bridge mode, you will get a double NAT. Thatā€™s not necessarily an issue in every instance, but it can cause problems.

It sounds like @todds89 has the same setup as me since we are having the same problem and apparently very similar hardware. That being the case, the airport extreme is the only router we have so there is no possibility of a double NAT setup.

The key thing to remember is that SmartThings seemed to recognize Hubitat as a hue hub just fine and it's on the same network also.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that (at least in my case) alexa finds all of my devices from smartThings and Hue just fine when I search for devices. The only ones not found are from Hubitat. That being the case, if it were a double nat issue, none of this would work.

1 Like

An ISP router does network address translation. Add your own router behind it without putting either router into bridge mode, youā€™ll have a double NAT. A double NAT isnā€™t a problem if you donā€™t have problems that result from it. I operate with a double NAT, and I donā€™t have network issues. However, in the past I have experienced routing issues that were caused by the double NAT, and the router causing the problem was an Apple TimeCapsule. So at least trying bridge mode is a simple and worthwhile test to try and eliminate possible causes.

Todd, it occurred to me that since the Apple routers only have 3 LAN ports, Iā€™ve seen clients plug into available ports on their ISP router. Thatā€™s not the case here, is it? Hubitat is plugged into the Apple router?

1 Like

The only thing plugged into the cable modem is the Airportā€¦ everything (hubitat, echos, ST, Hue Bridge, all other devices) are all on the same networkā€¦ thanks

Try resetting the airport to default?

Seriously though, try another router. Even a cheap 15 dollar tplink or similar.

Maybe Alexa only supports one hue bridge, and it, like Smartthings, sees Hubitat as a hue bridge too. Try removing your hue bridge and then trying again.

I just noticed that both of you having the same problem have a hue bridge.

Good idea, but the Hue bridge was only added to the network a couple days ago - same issues were there before I added it - I even tested it with only the echo (1) and the hubitat (had the ST unplugged, batteries removedā€¦ thanks

My suspicion is itā€™s a left-over ghost device thatā€™s keeping the new ones from appearing.

Try this:
Remove the Alexa App from Hubitat.
Rename one of your switches to a name youā€™ve never used before (preferably a single word)
Reinstall the Alexa App, and select all switches.
Try to discover devices in Alexa again.

If you only get the one switch that was renamed, itā€™ll help narrow down how to fix this.