Alexa device (air conditioner) in Hubitat

Just got a "smart" air conditioner. I got it linked to my Amazon Echo with their skill, but is there any way to get it in hubitat so it can be controlled/see current settings, etc?

What kind of air conditioner is it? I'm assuming the thing is wifi enabled so it would be an issue of whether the manufacturer publishes an API that allows access to their cloud service, unless it happens to be accessible locally (which I really, really doubt). Plan B might be some sort of IFTTT integration.

Also curious on brand. I have a Midea that should arrive Friday. I plan on looking into the cloud API documentation that some people have started in the hopes of making a Hubitat driver for it.

1 Like

Ohh please!!!

I have a Midea knockoff (ebay special) that I would like to pull into Hubitat. I am using the Remotec now, but it is only one-way and cannot set things like dry mode and a few other things.

1 Like

This is a Hisense from Costco. I had to use the Connectlife app which is pretty much rubbish.

I tried running a port scan on the AC but no dice. Need to get a packet capture and see what it sends and how.

If it can be controlled with Alexa commands you can use Echo speaks to send those commands to it using HE.

2 Likes

I can see that sending commands/settings. Is there any way to create a virtual device in Hubitat and sync it with the AC unit?

Nope. You’d need a way to push data from Alexa to HE for that to happen. Or for Alexa routines to support far more complex triggers and actions than they currently do.

1 Like

@aaiyar is basically correct. but with some external temp sensors and power monitoring and a little creativity in your RM rules you can get pretty close. It will not be a straightforward integration.

Below is an example of a routine I used to link virtual shades to my Leviosa shades. My shades have a wifi device that can be controlled through Alexa. So I wrote routines to monitor the virtual shade settings and then send those settings to the actual shades via Alexa.

1 Like

I have a Toshiba, but I'm pretty sure its a re-branded Midea under the skin. Looking forward to help test anything you come up with :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I'm betting these are mostly all the same.

2 Likes

Have you had a chance to look into the cloud API doc for this?

I have but there is an encryption chunk giving me trouble. But, I found some work people had done to make local control. No progress there yet... I am on vacation. :smile:

If it's a Midea-based unit, you may be able to control it with this: Midea Mini Split Wifi Support - #11 by tomw