Alexa controlling thermostats rant!

I recently moved into a new home and inherited a couple of Sensi WiFi thermostats. Last week, the reverse engineered Home Assistant integration quit working so I thought, "ok, i will just rely on Alexa." I keep my thermostat in Auto mode with about a 6 degree separation between cooling setpoint and heating setpoint. However, if using Alexa, you tell her a setpoint in auto mode and she sets the cooling setpoint one degree above that and heating setpoint one degree below that. WTH? That is way too narrow a band. I don't think the Ecobees in a previous house would allow anything less than 5 degrees. UGH!!! I am going to break out the wife's old iPhone and see if Homekit and the HE integration with HK can come to the rescue.

Time to swap out with some Honeywell T6 Pro z-wave's!

Yeah, I just discovered that my inherited Sensi thermostats are the base model and they are not even Homekit compatible. I already have an Ecobee in the box for one floor. I guess it's time to bite the bullet and purchase a 2nd for second floor and install.

1 Like

Can this thermostat limit the heating and cooling temperature in its built-in options? If so, you can set them and Alexa can't change them.

I have the Sensi S-55 and it works very well with the Sensi app. I can even adjust the temperature setting with Alexa. What I would very much like to do is have it respond to a remote temperature sensor managed by my Hubitat like a Samsung or Sonoff located in the bedroom during the night.

I could just get another thermostat with that feature but there is the expense plus the added problem of no C-wire for power now. The S-55 runs very well on AA batteries. I know that there are ways to get C-wire power to the thermostat location but that is an attic-level project I try to avoid.

So, it's on my to do list about midway down.