Alert siren - which do you have?

LOL I'm thinking of blaring Welcome to the Jungle when the alarm goes off. I can even set an echo to connect to my full stereo automatically. Those little sirens I mentioned aren't quite 139dbs. The listing says 110 and I doubt they're really that loud. The dome is tiny. It's basically the size of an extra large container of lipbalm. The aoetec is a bit larger and seems a bit louder but neither is like a traditional home alarm siren. For 139dbs you probably want to go the traditional route and just connect it to a switch.

The aoetec is more versatile because it will double as a chime but almost all of the 30 sounds suck. I paid $60 for it and for what it is it's over priced. I still use it for an extra siren but had I bought the sonos first I doubt I would have bought it.

https://youtu.be/Uo3tyMwWhkE might work too...

I now use the same 12v siren, connected using konnected/nodemcu.

Works ace!

Same issue with my Coolcam siren - takes its own time to finish what it's doing before stopping.

@djh_wolf Can you explain a little bit more your earlier suggestion of using a 12V siren, wall adapter and Ikea wall plug?

Is it one of these sirens? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32268568407.html
And do you power the siren the whole time and somehow you manage to turn it on with the Ikea wall plug?
Or do you have the siren somehow configured that it's powered off most of the time and when you turn the power on the siren start ringing straight away?

Thanks

All of the regular home alarm sirens like this just need power to work. The sound they play is all in their circuitry. You just need the hubitat to turn the power on or off when triggered. Here's a ghetto setup.

I should mention that I don't use one of these. I just use a combination of a sonos speaker and couple of battery backed up sirens that are tiny but loud enough to wake me up.

Yes those ones will indeed start screaming when you power then up :grinning:I was however wondering about the waterproof ones that have a strobe as well and look like a proper alarm siren.

@alexandruy2k

As you've already said, they just start screaming when power is applied. They also strobe too, which looks like z regular alarm.

I've ve used this since 2018 (outdoors).

I also use this to indicate when the alarm is armed or not. Same premise. Again, since 2018. Outside.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01MDOO906?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I used to use seperate dc psus to power these with various voltages, plugged into smart plugs.

Now I use a single large 12v psu to send power all around the house, and use nodemcu's and relays to direct this to whichever device.

I also use step down converters to drop the 12v input to say, 6v for the box. Loads more cost effective overall

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07ZCRTMXK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

thanks very much.
I was imagining it was the more complex ones that are continuously powered and then would be controlled via different pins

1 Like

I have had enjoyed success with the Zooz Siren(s). They are very loud, use C-cell batteries which last. I also use them for door chimes. I use one for motion detection, it chimes when something comes near where I store my mowers.

What I am really looking for is a cheap local solution for voice. I have Alexa echos but I want a good backup. The zooz sirens play mpg's but not very loud.

How long have been they running? , I'm interested to know the battery life and your use case is similar to what I want to do in my house, use it like a door chime and siren.

I have 2, one is on my dev hub and I use my main one for a door chime for the back door, and the other chimes if motion by my mowers. They go off a lot. The main one has been in service for several months and the newer one for a couple months. Battery always reports 100%. The main one has gone off several times as a siren when a cat kept jumping on our car! I had to rethink that rule. But is it loud, woke us right up, it is so loud our neighbor got up and checked her car thinking it might have been her car alarm, kind of funny that.

1 Like

Nice, that give me the confidence to buy one and test it. Thanks man.

Chromecast integration could be useful, but you can also use a Raspberry pi w with VLC and the VLC driver to play audio.

I just received a wink (dome) alartm. Works well when positioned 1 ft from the hub. At 2 ft (literally) it does not communicate

I have an Aeotec Siren 6 indoors and I have a Tuya Neo Zigbee Strobe/Chime (with built in Battery) outside hooked up via USB power outlet that acts as my gate chime.

They both work well. The Aeotec is extremely sensitive to "tampering" which is done by vibration. Meaning, if you drop something within 5 feet it goes off. I even complained to Aeotec and they confirmed it's sensitive and instructed me on how to disable tamper sensor. It's also insanely loud for indoor usage, really.

The Neo works well especially at half the cost of the Aeotec. It's also surprisingly loud, especially considering I have it mounted outside, under the eaves. My neighbors can clearly hear it next door if their windows are open with speaker at 50%. The "strobe" feature is lame and lacking (same as the Aeotec).

I have the Aeotec Siren 6. It has a lot of nice features and tones. I have a basic rule setup to turn it off after 1 minute.

When Aeotec Siren 6 turns on ...
Wait 1 minute
Turn off Aeotec Siren 6
Wait until Aeotec Siren 6 turns off, then ...
Notify Ron’s iPhone 'Aeotec Siren - %device% Turned off after 60 Seconds on %date% at %time%'

I also have the Tornado Siren Sound setup to play if I receive a Tornado Warning Alert from the Weather.Gov app.

Ron