Alert siren - which do you have?

In last night's Hubitat Live, Bruce said that Z-Wave alarms can be "hard to turn off", so we're apparently not the only ones who experience this.

2 Likes

I've seen a few others on here mention the issues with Z-Wave alarms as well. My wife likes it to chime when the front door is opened. Most times this is fine but then I have those times when it chimes twice or sometimes 3, 4 or 5 times before it stops. That's a bit annoying then.

1 Like

I use multiple google home mini’s spread through out the house to announce what sensor was tripped where so you have a little more information about what caused the alert besides just a siren. It also works well to use as an announcement of a door opening instead of a chime during the day. Only issue I have is every once in awhile it will stop announcing until I reboot the hub.

1 Like

Interesting, I wonder if we can use Google home/Chromecast as a siren. It should be possible, just have it play a siren sound and make a device handler so HE recognize it as a siren?

If you have a tablet running a dashboard using Fully Kiosk Browser, that can be used as a siren/chime as well if you use the driver here in the forums.

What is your use-case for?
I'm happy with the z-wave Dome Siren.

I use it for three things;

1. It's the upstairs doorbell for my Ring Doorbell (as I have their official chime for downstairs). This happens 3-6 times a week and it works great, and my batteries have been great too despite what others have reported.
  2. Night Alarm. If any door opens while in "sleep mode" I have it to where it will blast loud. This never happens though, an occasional accident from my better half if she forgets to disable the alarm.
  3. Chime if any water leak detectors light up. I also have my Sonos tell us "Water link in the: <Sensor name" to complement this.

I'm happy with it, it was cheap and the slow turn-off time doesn't bother me for these scenarios, and it's very quick to 'sound' for my triggers, but again I don't use it in super advanced ways.

I have a fortrezz siren and boy is that sucker loud! Gets everyone's attention around my house.

https://smile.amazon.com/Fortrezz-SSA-01-Strobe-Z-Wave-Module/dp/B006KH48VY/

1 Like

I used both Dome and Aeotech Siren 6.. I personally prefer the Siren 6 over the Dome siren.
Look up krlaframboise's DH for the Siren 6, works like perfectly for me!

Anyone try the Heiman Zigbee Strobe Flash Siren? I see some good reviews.

Has anyone found a reliable Zigbee (not Z-Wave) siren device that works well with HE?

12v siren, dc adaptor, zigbee plug from IKEA. Job done.

3 Likes

I also use Aeotec 6 indoors, and a Outdoor dc siren/strobe I bought on Amazon and connected to a zigbee plug on battery backup.

1 Like

I have a pair of these too and they work really well.

I’m not bothered by the battery life as we just never have false alarms.

@wnc.dave what do you use for a battery backup for your ZigBee plug?

I have it plugged into my Desktop UPS. My desktop is off whenever I'm not home so it gives a good period of time for a low voltage plug.

1 Like

First off, I know I am posting to a dead thread, but it is related to a search I am doing, and figured what the heck I will chime in for anyone that is looking.

I am using 4 of the Utilitech 100db Zwave indoor sirens that were sold by Lowes for their as of March 2018 defunct Iris home automation and security system.

They are first and foremost super easy as far as Zwave devices go to include / exclude from the network, they don't require an external power source, They are attention getting loud which was the point, They are equipped with a somewhat pointless strobe to I guess help get attention to the shreiking alarm? I've never had them drop off network on Iris, later ADT Smartthings, and now Hubitat, and this is important, there are tons of them on Ebay for around $20.00

Honestly if they would have made these in matte black, used a MUCH brighter strobe, and made them outdoor / weather resistant I would have added 2 to the outside of the house as well.

I purchased the dome and the aoetec. I really wish I would have just spent a couple of more bucks on the ikea sonos. It'll play any sound you want. Hell it will even talk to you. Way more versatile and plenty loud.

P.S. If you can't use UPNP for your Sonos...

Just curious, how do the Sonos speakers qualify as sirens? Do they have a siren function and what db level do they produce?

I thought Sonos was stereo speakers....

They'll play ANY sound. I don't know the DB but they're basically just as loud as my dome and aeotec. They do not have a battery though so if that's important I'd go with the aoetec 6.

That gives me evil thoughts for IFTTT, and some equipment I use / used when gigging with my "band" (Bunch of former work colleagues that get together, jam 2 or 3 songs out, then proceed to spend the right of the night complaining about former bosses, having a couple of beers and playing washer toss.). 139db each speaker, 2 of them, plus subwoofers, plus all sorts of screwy music to queue on Amazon music. Pink Floyd's Run Like He** leaps to mind...