AI and Machine Learning?

My journey in to the world of home automation started with smart things and then hubitat and it’s become somewhat of a passion!

One thing that strikes me as generally lacking, certainly in the DIY space(possibly even the high end professional install systems ??) is the application of machine learning and AI, specifically for the creation of rules and routines. With the number of sensors I have in my house, temperature, lux,motion, state of switches etc etc ... monitoring the typical habits of occupants and then suggesting automation rules based on actual behaviour of the occupants is something I’m surprised I haven’t really come across...

I’d be interested to hear the thoughts of those far
my knowledgable than I am on home automation.

Have any home automation systems out there attempted this sort of thing ?

1 Like

I agree, home automation is sorely missing a higher level of automatic automation. I would love to see something akin to radar, that would detect movement, direction, and activity along with sensors everywhere look after me in my home. Once my routines were learned, lights would come on at the most appropriate level as I approached a room. If I was going through a room,the lighting levels could be lower. If I stopped the light levels could rise. If I sat in my reading chair, general illumination could lower and the task light could be raised. The temperature would be adjusted to suit my lower activity needs. I would see voice as only a way to override things, like sitting in my reading chair but wanting to nap in darkness.
Things like the Google Coral dongle with 4 trillion operations per second could be applied to machine learning. At $75 dollars added to a Raspberry Pi who knows what someone could come up with.

Something like the NVIDIA® Jetson Nano™ might be a good host.

1 Like