After last update, my hub stopped connecting to the cloud

Hi folks;

Back again with the same issue, after this last update 2.3.8.128, which I did today, my hub start to loose cloud connection with the hubitat servers. Everything works, I can ping internet sites, traceroute them but it just don't connect to hubitats cloud servers and therefore I can't use the apps that depends on that like Alexa integration. Ideas?

When you do this, are you pinging or “tracerouting” an IP address (like 1.2.3.4) or an FQDN (like www.google.com).

If the latter doesn’t work, then the issue is that your hub doesn’t have access to functioning name servers.

If you think the update caused the problem roll back the firmware using the diagnostic tool and let us know if that solves it, or if the issue continues.

I found out the broken behavior. Is not dependent on versioning but on the reboot.

If I reboot my hub. It comes back with the same IP - Fixed IP - but the cloud features like Alexa/Dashboards stop having access. And the hub does not say that alarm "cloud not working" so it seems all ok but the cloud connection is not. To arrive this, everytime, I need to go on my router and reboot it. Onde I do that, the hub becomes talking to the cloud again. That only and solely happens with my Hub. No other appliance at my house have that issue.

What can be happening?

If the IP is set static on your hub, change it to a DHCP reservation on the router and set the hub back to DHCP. Having DHCP on the hub is the preferred and most reliable method.

What I wrote earlier:

This is fixable. Just configure your hub to use a set/fixed list of DNS servers. Look at the section titled "Override DNS settings" in the Hubitat Documentation on Network Setup linked below:

1 Like

yep, that is the point. I checked all the configs you said above:

and even though it didnt happen as supposed to be. In fact I did a remote reboot on my HUB just right now and lost cloud access to it. I also bought the license regarding Remote Access just to be sure and even so I loose the access to it. I am sure that everything is ok in my internet connection but I lost communication either way. Cloud/Alexa etc etc etc. The funy thing is that, if I was in my LAN now and I open the HUB page internally, it wont tell me that there were an issue with the connection to HE cloud services. I only know that is not working due to the services not working instead of the HUB telling me that.

:point_up_2:

I did that also. Same result. Be sure, I tried everything regarding network setup.

What router do you use? Does it have a configuration for DNS redirection? Because your description suggests that is the issue at hand.

I use the router that comes from my ISP. Just a normal one. There is no configuration regarding DNS rediction in there. And also, I am using the google DNS inside HE config. The thing is, what does that change once I reboot my router? If I go there now and reboot it, everything goes back again untill I reboot my HUB again and then everything stop working. My IP address on the router (external IP sometimes even dont change) and I get the same issue over and over. This tarted to happen in a while now, but now I know the scenario that this is happening. Also, f the HUB is not connecting to the cloud, it should alarm to me saying that the connection to the cloud is gone but that doesnt happen either. For the HUB POV everything is ok.

I would try doing a network reset using the hidden button on the bottom of the hub (hold for 7 seconds then let go). Then try setting a manual DNS override but make sure you use multiple options with a comma separate list. You can just copy/paste in the entire example from the settings if you want.

1 Like

I did a soft reset yesterday. Does this would do what are you asking me to do?

No, soft reset and network reset are two different things...

If your router does DNS redirection, then your hub isn’t using Google DNS - that setting is overridden by the router.

understood
but then another point comes: why the HUB doesnt detect that it lost the connection with the HE Cloud? Also, if I need to install an APP, I can go to the HPM ans install it with no issues.

How do you know it has lost connection to the cloud?
If HPM works then why would the alexa integration stop working? The Alexa integration does not use the HE cloud, it goes directly to the HE skill on Alexa.

Check My Hubitat > Registered Hubs > Click Hub Details

You can check the Last Checkin and Active flag

1 Like