After C-8 Migration - HomeBridge not working

So migrated today and mostly pretty smooth. IFTTT is an issue, but I am blaming them for now. I can't get HomeBridge to work. The logs in the homebridge server look like it's seeing events, but I can't use anything in the Home App. Everything says "No Response". Anything obvious that I'm missing here?

I've had this occur twice, but it's got nothing to do with my C-8, migration or Homebridge :smiley: I blame it 100% on Apple's HomeKit.

I connect to Apple's HomeKit via Homebridge. I have two instances of Homebridge and one Hubitat HomeKit Integration. I have 1 device exposed via a single Homebridge instance. I have 5 devices exposed via Hubitat's HomeKit Integration. During both events where No Response occurred, those 6 devices were just fine. It was ONLY the Homebridge instance that exposes 50-60 Hubitat devices that presented this issue. The Hubitat --> Homebridge connection for me is from a C-7. The only way to solve it was to delete the Homebridge "Appliance" in the Home App and then re-add it.. forcing me to add each device to their Home app's room, etc. It was painful the first time, since I hadn't done it in years... and even more so when about 10 days later, I had to do it again. The first fail, I blame on upgrade to Homekit to Apple's latest. I'm sure that was/is a factor in the 2nd event too.

I was kind of afraid of this. I'm probably facing re-adding. Since you've used both HomeKit and Hubitat Integration... Do you think it's worth me taking the opportunity to switch to the built in EXCEPT for my door locks and garage which I would leave on HomeBridge because I like living dangerously and pissing off Tim Cook in this petty way. :slight_smile:

Why use IFTTT? (shudder)

I'm not sure... I jumped at creating a HomeKit Integration early on and pushed a tiny handful of devices over. I still need a Homebridge instance and as a result, I'm not sure I need yet another "some devices are found here, some are found there" puzzle. I already have 4 Hubitat Hubs, a Node-Red instance, and Lutron Pico buttons that are beginning to be a Treasure Hunt due to amazing stability. Take the Pico's as one example.. it's been years since I thought about them. they simply work every time. I haven't had a need to alter what happens when a specific button is pressed, BUT if I did, I bet I'd look at the wrong hub (of 4) to alter the mapping. I'd get there eventually :slight_smile: but I'm guessing it wouldn't be first guess. If I then multiplied that forgetfulness onto which device gets to the Home app via Homebridge and which get there via the Hubitat integration, again, I'd guess wrong. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A fair question. It was to solve a tiny problem when Amazon bought Blink Cameras and killed the native integration. I really only use two "applets" one to arm and one to disarm the cameras. So at night, they arm. In the morning, they disarm. When everyone leaves, arm Etc. It's worked perfectly for years. I played a bit with the community Blink driver but it created a zillion devices and at the end of the day all I needed was ARM/DISARM. I have ten Blink Cameras. Don't ask. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And just as I was preparing to bite the bullet, I bounced the HomeBridge server and everything is working just fine. Probably going to leave it all alone for now. Thanks for your input. My environment is way too complex too. But nearly as complex as yours though.

1 Like

is my goto as well. Mostly because it's simple and quick. That however, didn't solve it either of these two events that happened to me.

In fairness the first two times I booted it, nothing. Third time is the charm and all that. I'm sure it's a tried and true engineering principle.

1 Like

Documenting this in case someone else is looking for the solution to this IFTTT issue. You have to re-enable the Hubitat service on IFTTT AND you seem to only be able to do that from the IFTTT app. I know I didn't originally set it up that way because I had never "bought" the IFTTT app from the App store before. After getting it I was able to re-enable the service and it's working now. Yes, I would rather not use IFTTT of ARM/DISARM Blink Cameras from Hubitat. I'm all ears if anyone has a better idea.

Anyone ever see this on a fresh install of Hoobs or Homebridge...

[12/2/2023, 8:19:01 PM] [Hubitat-v2] sendUpdateStatus Connection failure | Message: socket hang up

something is broken in the latest builds...anyone have this issue also or know the remedy ?

Thanks

I don't know how to fix it, but I can say that my Homebridge is updated and works fine.

What version of NodeJS do you have? They upped the required version to I think 18, a lot of systems will have 16 or older in the packages. I am running NodeJS v20 with mine and works great.

I have tried 18 and NJS v20...I have a few friends that have this issue also...what distro you running yours on ?

what app your running on the hub?

your hub and home bridge both in the same subnet ?

You said this was a fresh install? Or is this an upgrade? After upgrading to Node 20 I had to do this hb-service rebuild. Check this post I just found on reddit with some details on how to check the logs: https://www.reddit.com/r/homebridge/comments/17ewwm2/comment/k66gumr/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

DietPi (Debian variant)

The tonesto7 Homebridge app

Yes