Aeotec Smart Energy Switch won't turn on via Simple Automation Rule or dashboard

I have a C7 (v2.2.4.148) with an Aeotec Smart Energy Switch (DSC06106-ZWUS) that works as expected using the on/off buttons on the device screen within Hubitat and via Rule Machine automations, and it responds properly to Google Voice commands and works as expected, but the switch doesn't work as expected in these situations:

1. Dashboard tile -- It always shows as "On" and trying to turn it on from a dashboard just results in a perpetual "Sending..." status. I have the tile defined as a switch. Strangely, if it's already turned on and I click to turn it off, that works (though still shows "Sending..." after turning off and incorrectly shows as "On" if I reload the dashboard).

2. Simple Automation Rules -- I have a very basic rule set up to turn the switch on 30 minutes before sunrise every day and turn it off at 8 AM. Although the log says the automation has run, it's not actually turning the switch on/off. I set up a second even more basic automation to test (simply turn it on at a fixed time) at it similarly logs as being run, but the switch doesn't turn on:

app:122 2020-11-27 09:45:00.059 am Turn On XXXXXXX at 9:45 AM Turn On
    app:122 2020-11-27 09:44:00.072 am Turn On XXXXXXX at 9:44 AM Turn On
    app:122 2020-11-27 09:43:00.069 am Turn On XXXXXXX at 9:43 AM Turn On
    app:90 2020-11-27 08:00:00.142 am Turn On XXXXXXX at Sunrise -30 anti-Turn On
    app:90 2020-11-27 06:57:59.493 am Turn On XXXXXXX at Sunrise -30 Turn On

As mentioned, it works fine via Rule Machine. In this situation, the "TEST" automation actually turned the switch on:

app:123 2020-11-27 10:25:00.195 am Action: On: XXXXXXX
app:123 2020-11-27 10:25:00.134 am TEST Triggered
app:123 2020-11-27 10:25:00.126 am TEST: Triggered at Certain Time

I'm using the included Aeotec Smart Energy Switch driver. Obviously I can work around the automation issue by using Rule Machine (though I think I'll need two automations to turn it on and then off again), but this seems like a bug that should be addressed. It's just turning it on that isn't working; everything else seems to be fine, so hoping it's something fairly simple for a someone who knows what they're doing.

Thanks in advance for any guidance! Please let me know if there's more info I can provide.

I should add that if I change the driver to Generic Z-Wave Switch, both the dashboard tile and the simple automation work perfectly -- but then I lose the power/energy usage reporting. It's not the end of the world, but it defeats the purpose of using the Smart Energy Switch instead of a much less expensive Z-Wave/Zigbee plug. It seems that the included driver mentioned just needs to be tweaked a bit. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I am having similar problems, did you ever gain resolution for your particular issues?

Unfortunately, no. I just quit using it and bought some Zooz devices instead (which work great). A real shame because I have several of these Aeotec switches and they're really good quality -- just don't work right with Hubitat, and no one seems to care. :disappointed:

After a few months of struggling with the Aeotec driver, I finally threw in the towel and switched to a generic Zwave switch driver. Yes, I no longer have energy data, but it was just for a towel warmer so the energy usage is both small and constant (~58 watts).

The dashboard seems to run much better now, and the automation for the switch is definitely much more consistent.

1 Like