Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor - Low battery

Hello, my newly install Aeotec door sensor is reporting low battery after 1 day. Aeotec says that I need to change my wake up interval so that it has enough time to communicate with the hub.

In the device profile, all I see are Configure and Refresh Commands and the static state variables.

Where/How can I change the wake up interval and what is the recommended parameter?

State Variables

• configVal1 : 0
  • refreshContact : true
  • configVal2 : 0
  • configVal90 : 10
  • configVal101 : 14400
  • refreshConfig : false
  • configVal81 : 3

Which sensor (model number)?

Sorry forgot to include that, it's number 7.

Aeotec Z-Wave Plus Recessed Door Sensor 7 (ZW187)

Looking here, Door / Window 7 user guide : Aeotec Help Desk

I don't see a wake up interval setting. If there was such a setting, you could change the parameters with a tool, Basic Zwave Tool. That can be found by doing a search of this forum, but I don't think it will do you any good if you can't access that setting.

I would suspect a mesh issue though, how many line powered devices or repeaters do you have? It looks like this is a new install by your join date? I know my locks did something similar when my mesh was bad.

You might want to read the first link and watch this video.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Z-Wave_Mesh

1 Like

That's the wrong device. Here is the correct user guide and documentation.

If you manually wake it up does this have any effect?

I only have the hub as the main gateway currently. I don't believe it's a weak signal issue as the device can report the health accurately when woken up manually.

Woke up manually:

battery 100 % Door Sensor battery is 100% DEVICE 2020-05-15 05:46:39.066 PM PDT
contact closed Door Sensor contact is closed DEVICE 2020-05-15 05:46:37.591 PM PDT

so it's reporting the battery correctly now?

No its back to 1% like before.

contact closed Door Sensor contact is closed DEVICE 2020-05-15 06:09:51.120 PM PDT
battery 1 % Door Sensor battery is 1% DEVICE 2020-05-15 06:09:51.091 PM PDT
contact open Door Sensor contact is open DEVICE 2020-05-15 06:09:47.839 PM PDT
contact closed Door Sensor contact is closed DEVICE 2020-05-15 06:09:21.985 PM PDT
contact open Door Sensor contact is open DEVICE 2020-05-15 06:09:19.129 PM PDT
battery 100 % Door Sensor battery is 100% DEVICE 2020-05-15 05:46:39.066 PM PDT

I have one of these and it failed in very similar way.
(I am using it with HS; and so, changing the wake up interval is easy). The thing is that this interval is only relevant if the battery level is not changing drastically. However, if the battery swings through LowBat threshold, you'll get immediate reporting.

The fact that you get 100% (just before 1%) may make difference. In my case, it would do 100% for the first seven (precisely) days and then, do the decaying swinging in 1-60% range. By the end of the second week the battery would be dead.

I wasted 2 batteries and then, Aeotec replaced the unit.

Thanks @mag for letting me know! I'll make sure to keep track on the unit.

I also need to figure out how to set the wake up interval. Many doors don't get opened for days at a time, but it sends a battery update every 1 hour (Default). I have to believe my batteries would last 20x longer if they weren't sending these useless updates every hour.

Bottom of page 11 states the wake up interval capabilities, but I have no idea how to set it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Does anyone know how to set the wake up interval on the Aeotec recessed door sensor 7?