Aeotec Recessed door sensor 7

Here's another source..

Although for Z-Wave repeaters I'm now leaning toward the more expensive Ring Range extender which has a battery backup built in and can detect power failures. It depends on the use-case though as the zigbee outlets are very useful.

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Alarm-Range-Extender/dp/B07ZB2VP4K/

2 Likes

Yesterday I finally got around to installing the three of these sensors that I bought from Monoprice, wow, my C5 hub reacts super fast to them opening and closing. Would definitely recommend (and I think they are just $22 right now on Monoprice's site)

Do you have a link? I might be interested in grabbing a couple. I only see the monoprice version at $29..

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15268

Thats the link, they were $22.99 on Saturday for sure (and had the $29.99 priced strikethrough-ed next to the sale price)

Issue Status: Issue resolved - I removed S2 security, as advised below, from the ZW187-A and it started working as expected. I’m not sure about the impact of removing S2 security, but will research.
Model: Aeotec ZW187-A
Device Type: Generic Z Wave Contact Sensor
Hub Firmware: 2.2.3.148
Aeotec Support Ticket: #1460045

I’m unable to get the recessed door sensor to consistently work with my system. I’m able to include it and the hardware light works as expected when I close the contact. Occasionally I can get it to register open/closed in the device page when I remove the magnet, but it usually only works for an open/close cycle before failing to report. I can force it to work by pressing the button on the hardware for 5 seconds to wake it up, but it stops operating after 1 open/close cycle. Logs do not show activity after a few open/close cycles. Has anybody seen this behavior and have advice on fixing?

(Edit to add more info) I also have an older version of the recessed door sensor (ZW089-A) that I connected to my system to experiment. The ZW089-A works as expected, it opens and closes just fine when the magnet is removed. Could this be an issue with the ZW187 firmware?

ZW187 Device info:

[This is my first post to the community, btw. I have recently migrated 82 Zigbee & Zwave devices from ST and am loving the C7 platform. This is the first issue I’ve encountered.]

Welcome. I’ve got 3 of the same Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor 7 devices on my C-7 with 2.2.3.148 firmware. You may have read my posts upthread here:

and here, in another thread, regarding how to set preferences:

I strongly suggest that you exclude, factory reset, then re-include the Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor 7 devices WITH NO SECURITY unless these truly are external door sensors. S2 security is problematic with C-7 and 2.2.3.148 firmware. These issues are expected to be fixed when 2.2.4 comes out, probably next week. You could just wait for that. I was never able to make mine work reliably when paired S2.

You may have mesh issues. Hubitat doesn’t seem to function as well as other hubs in presence of a weak mesh (I, like you, was on ST for awhile before coming to Hubitat). I just accepted this and installed repeaters. I use the Ring Extender 2 devices (I have 4) for two reasons:

(1) they have internal battery backup, and thus will keep your mesh up during power fail, and

(2) they report power fail events (but apparently must be paired S2 in order to do so). I have one in our garage in order to report loss of power for our freezer.

One other thing: the C-7 with 2.2.3.148 frequently reports that the Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor 7 devices are “failed” or “not responding “ even though the devices are working fine. I just ignore these messages. Support has indicated to me that the Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor 7 issues are expected to be fixed in 2.2.4 firmware.

Hope these suggestions help get you up and running. Welcome.

1 Like

Great info - I removed S2 security and now it works. Thanks you for helping me on this!

2 Likes

Great, glad I could help. If you have any other issues, don’t hesitate to post and someone with your devices will try to help. It’s a pretty friendly and helpful group of users.

1 Like

It doesn't look like this has been resolved with 2.2.4.139. Just included this sensor via smart start. It included very fast, Just like my Ring 2 Extenders did. But unfortunately, it has only registered a close event.

I've performed their signal strength test and it passes. just no open/close events :frowning:

Can you turn on debug and open/close and send the logs?

Mine is exactly the same problem.

Okay, So here is everything since the device was installed:

There were several open and close events during this. I'd say you're seeing about a tenth of them.

Just noticed, there is another platform update. I'll hold off updating until you let me know you've had a chance to look at this. Unless you like to change a of bunch variables while debugging :wink:

I’m looking at this log and I see a closed and opened and closed event.. I’m confused..

Yes there a few events that are getting captured. But, as I said, you're only seeing about 1/10th of the number of opens and closes that happened during that time.

Edit: Here is the log where I opened the door (this was the only thing you'll see in the log). Then after 10 seconds, I closed the door. waited 2 minutes, repeat. I did this a total of 3 times and the hub only caught the first open.

Mine saw 1 event after I did yesterday’s update and replaced the battery. The door has been opened / closed 100 times, the sensor has been “woken up” manually many times to see if it’s magically corrected. What I do know is the door sensor keeps routing through a device the opposite end of the house vice the plugged in device 6 feet away. At 40k it seems to register, at 9.6K routed nada.

I blame zwave event de-dupe that id new in 2.2.4. Based on exactly no data whatsoever.

Updated to 2.2.4.141 upon selecting save device I received this error message:

On 2.2.4.143.

Using SmartStart or joining with S2 results in the sensor reporting a single Close event the first time it is closed and then nothing.

I did the exclude, factory reset, join with all security options unchecked. Now it works great.

1 Like

Ditto! With FW 2.2.4.143, smart start, or S2 , the sensor captures the first close event, then nothing after that... :sob: All I am getting are the normal battery readings... So I know it's talking.

Edit: If I reboot the hub, it will catch the first open or close event. Then nothing else. So it's almost there????

S0 worked for me! Runs perfect thank you