Aeotec range extender 6

I have a couple of Aeotec 6 repeaters and have had zero luck with them. I have a couple of Z-wave locks, one of which has always been 'challenging', a Schlage FE599. I have experimented extensively with placing the Aeotecs around the house, at all distances from the lock and from the hub. Never once has any device in my Z-wave network routed through them. I get that Z-wave routes aren't easily predicted or controlled, but I would expect that over the months I have tried strategically locating the range extenders and occasionally running a Z-wave repair, some device somewhere on the network would hit one of them. As of now, I am just as well off putting these things in a drawer as I am with them added to my hub.
Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

What version is your HE hub?

2 Likes

Was your investigation triggered by mesh instability? If so, then you're better off taking them out. If you have no issues, then I wouldn't bother making any changes.

FWIW, mine were used on the C-5, C-7, and C-8. Obviously they were used more on the C-5; my C-7 had an external antenna, as does the C-8.

My experience with the Aeotec Range Extenders is the same as the OP. Could not get any device to route through them... Ever. They are junk.

FWIW, I've long had 4 RE7s (but not 6s) and they've each routed stuff at one point or another over the years. They don't get as much action on the C8, but I still get a device go through one of them occasionally.

They're strategically placed in my mesh to provide a backbone - if they get routinely used, cool; if not, they're available to help as needed.

1 Like

I have 2 RE7s and 3 RE6s (small but odd shaped house). They definitely get used. Comes down to where they're placed vs where they might be needed.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 12.44.55

1 Like

Same here - really bad experience with them too. Created noise - pulled them and converted to a HE Version C8 and my zwave network works like never before. 138 devices, the external antennas connect direct from the HUB to all devices without hops. Before, 1/3 of the devices made one or more hops. Much faster - it eliminated annoying latency issues completely. Easy upgrade if you arent on a C8 yet.

1 Like

I've been using a Aeotec plug instead of the repeater. It repeats z wave plus is a smart plug and a USB charger.

Definitely helped a flakey dead spot with my heating controls.

1 Like

Or maybe not junk, but your mesh is strong, the hub is placed in a central location, with solid backbone repeaters already in place, so the other devices don't need to use them :wink:

2 Likes

My experience was similar to @aaiyar . Ever since my C7 antenna mod, 99% of devices are direct connect. Before that the Aeotec repeater didn't seem to be a favorite.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.