Aeotec Multisensor 6 Z-Wave firmware 1.14

I have the EU version done and working.

That won't work no.

It shouldn't work is my understanding from a few years back. That file type is a homeseer protocol file type and apparently doesn't convert. But I can extract them from the EXE file and then I used the built in app.

1 Like

Yeah the process started but I got busy so had to abort. That's probably the reason it was taking so long. Thanks for the heads up.

The Homeseer .hec file doesn't work.

Extracting, per the instructions does.

You take the .exe from Aeon's ZIP, and using a hex editor, find the beginning and end. Save that as a .hex file and it has been working. NOTE: it's a common error to name the hex file like the .exe and unfortunately that includes some characters that prove to be 'fatal'. No spaces, no dots other than the last one -> .hex

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 12.15.58 PM

After it completed, I power cycled it and turned on debugging which resulted in:

dev:44 2021-10-06 12:19:28.002 pm debug ---VERSION REPORT V1--- MultiSensor6C is running firmware version: 1.15, Z-Wave version: 4.54
dev:44 2021-10-06 12:19:27.999 pm debug in version report

Was:
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 12.19.11 PM

Is:
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 12.21.51 PM

2 Likes

Yep doing this now thanks!!!

2 Likes

Did this work for you?

LJ

yes it did..

1 Like

Thatโ€™s interesting and encouraging because I wrote to the author of those instructions above and asked him the same question and he responded:

So Weโ€™re using a C5 or C7? Did you use the Hubitat updated or something else?

LJ

I have both - C7 and 2 C-5's but am using the C-7 for my Z-Wave stuff. I also use a UZB-7 or Aeotec Z-Stick as a secondary controller and the Z-Wave PC Controller SW to update the firmware - It's a little faster depending upon the device/distance from the hub.

1 Like

Thanks, I have all those options too. I will have to go back and try this. I lost some faith in doing this back in August.

LJ

1 Like

Hang on a sec... I just checked my info and it still says 1.14 too... I ran through the update and it said it worked.. so maybe not so good afterall. I do think the extraction process is okay though as the device accepts it.

:slightly_frowning_face:

I used a C-7 and the built-in Firmware Updater:

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 12.36.59 PM

But note that I've moved to the next version already... 1.15

Just remember to reboot to the new code on the MS6 after the upgrade completes.

I am trying to update to 1.15 - I extracted the firmware via the instructions, ran the update via secondary controller. Seemed to take.. the device is still reporting 1.14 until I did a little hocus pocus now it's reading 0.00..

edit1: I guess I would have to re-pair to get it to change maybe?
edit2: Hocus Pocus as in I created a virtual device with the ms6 driver and "moved" over the "real" DNI to the new one...

So for giggles I went ahead and paired my UZB-7 and looked in the PC Controller SW. The firmware reported after a "get" is 1.14 so my extraction did not work I guess.. anyway trying again and will let everyone know.

Yep owe you an apology - after checking things out it's reporting 1.14. My extraction foo is weak apparently.

Followup: I did manage to upgrade the firmware on an MS6 I had on hand using the EXE from Aeotec. I first tried with the UZB-7 but got a static lib error so tried the Z-Stick and that worked fine.. Note: The stick was not joined to the Hubitat at the time and you have to pair the MS6 to the stick using the firmware software.

For more giggles and fun I paired the stick as a secondary then ran the Firmware Update EXE (after exiting the PCS) - it showed up just fine with all the HE devices and allowed me to update my garage sensor.. so that means you shouldn't have to unpair the devices like I originally thought - works fine under a secondary controller. I should also mention that I could only update 1 of my 2 MS6's in this manner.. not sure why (I already updated and unpaired the test one). The key seems to be you have to use a 500 Series stick...or maybe an Aeotec Z-Stick dunno.

• I suspect one of my MS6s is an older model or maybe just borked from being outside for a while so will replace with the test one. Was getting "Command Class Firmware Update Meta Data: is not supported"...
1 Like

Two questions regarding v1.14, (1) is the temperature treshold reporting (when using that feature) still limited to a minimum value of 1F (version 1.8 allowed 0.1F) and can a sensor with a firmware older than v 1.8 be upgraded? Aeotec recently added this disclaimer:

@NoWon Do you think you could please extract us the 1.15 EU version?

1 Like

i have a one i did ages ago and updated if you want?

@syepes sorry I will do it maybe in a few weeks once I get better. I can only do a few lines and my eyes are killing me.

you can extract the hex using Hxd it is free software and then copy the hex firmware portion to notepad and save as a hex file.
The tricky part is only copying the start and end of the firmware portion. compare my old firmware hex files to the Hxd files and once you the start and end it is pretty easy.