Aeotec LED Bulb 6 Multi-color - no change in Levels

So I have s ink light that I try to control in RM that when motion is detected in the kitchen it comes on automatically at 50% level at a certain color temperature. The color temperature was working, but the level wasn't being set. However, if I went into the device and set the level that way it worked. So I added a "Set Level" action to my rule and even that didn't work.

Needless to say I'm a little confused. Below is what the final rule looks like and yes it has both the :
"Color Temperature" and "Dim" settings since I was trying to force it to work.

Any ideas what I'm missing? I use different colors to let me know if outside gates are open so I don't let the dogs out only to find them in some other neighborhood. I don't think those level;s are working either, but irrelevant.

Can you put the END-IF actions on the ends of all of those conditional statements. For example:

if (expression) 
    if (expression)
        action
        action
    else
        if(expression)
            action
        end-if
    end-if
end-if

The lack of those end if expressions could be tripping this rule up.

I will attempt to do that. I wish I could just type in the code instead of using the interface. I may just try to create it from scratch and add the end-if parts as I go.

Okay, I deleted the entire thing and then re-entered it all and included the end-if's for each one. The light still did not go to 50% as defined. So that wasn't my issue, but I'm happy to have those closing statements.

This has me stumped.

Please paste the current rule?

I had some similar issues with Aeotec LED multi-colour bulbs.

I have rules in place to turn on the bulbs and set different CT and colour based on at what time of the day the button is pressed. But for some reason it wouldn't work. Sometimes the bulbs would turn on but with wrong CT and sometimes the bulbs won't turn on at all, doesn't matter how many times you press the button. Bulbs wouldn't react even if I try to switch them on directly from the hub dashboard.

While troubleshooting for weeks, I noticed this issue had some relation to Aeotec smart plugs.

I noticed the misbehaviour in bulbs starts only once I use any button/switch to power on or off the Aeotec smart plugs. After restarting the hub, the LED bulbs would function normally (as defined in rule machine). But once I power on or off Aeotec smart plugs, any subsequent command to LED bulbs would result either incorrect CT or no action at all. As long as I wouldn't use Aeotec smart plugs after rebooting the hub, the LED bulbs would work fine.

I ran z-wave repair several times to see if it fixes the issue. But it didn't help. Also, my z-wave repair would take around 45 mins to finish even though I have just 13 z-wave devices. I also tried removing the bulbs and smart plugs from the network one by one and re-adding them. Even that's didn't help.
All the mentioned LED bulbs (3x), Smart plugs (2x) are in the same room as where the Hub is. In fact, one of the smart plugs is just beside the hub.

I am not sure whether the Aeotec smart plugs were conflicting with the Aeotec LED bulbs or whether there was some mis-configuration from my end. But all these issues disappeared after I upgraded the hub firmware to the recent 2.1.9 version. After upgrading to the latest version, the z-wave repair hardly took 10 minutes to finish. The LED bulbs are reacting and functioning the right way as defined in rule machine and I haven't noticed any inconsistency upon using Aeotec smart plugs.

The Color Temperature capability doesn't have a command that supports setting the color temperature and level at the same time so I'm pretty sure those have to be separate statements.

Remove the color temperature line and see if it's able to change the level. If so, delay the dim action by 1-2 seconds and that might solve the problem.

If you've changed the dimming duration setting then putting it back to 1 second might also help because the device tends to ignore commands being sent to it while transitioning.

I believe most, if not all, of the z-wave bulb drivers were updated in 2.1.9 so that their temp and color attributes won't change unless the bulb actually made the change and you can now use the set color action's level value to dim the bulb while changing the color.

Those changes wouldn't improve the reliability of your mesh, and could potentially make it worse because requesting reports to confirm the changes actually increases the traffic, but it should prevent the device from showing color/temp changes that didn't happen.

If you're referring to the Aeotec Smart Switch 6 and you're not doing anything with the power/energy/voltage reports then disable or increase their reporting thresholds so that they report less often because with the default setting I think they send 5 or 6 reports every time they turn on or off.

Having multiple repeaters in the same room that are all sending a bunch of reports at the same time can sometimes cause things to backup which delays other automations or causes them to fail. Usually it clears up within a few seconds, but it can occasionally take a lot longer.

I was having the same issue with multiple Qubino Relays and some other devices that were all in the same room and being turned on/off together, but reducing their power reports as much as possible completely solved the problem.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I'll disable the reporting on my Aeotec Smart Switches. Hopefully, that would keep the traffic flow smooth. :slight_smile: