Aeotec Heavy Duty - on/off

Is it possible to turn on the Aeotec Heavy Duty switch via the Hubitat interface (or HomeKit)?

The Aeotec manual says, “Your Heavy Duty Smart Switch can be turned on or off through the use of Z-Wave commands built into Z- Wave certified controllers and gateways. The specific Z-Wave commands supporting this function are the Basic Command Class and Binary Switch Command Class. Please consult the operation manual for your Z-Wave network controller for specific instructions on controlling your Heavy Duty Smart Switch.”

When I’m in the Hubitat app/site, I can see the Aeotec device listed, but it’s not obvious how I can turn the device on/off (I have it connected to my sauna heater and would like to turn it on remotely). I don’t see an on/off button on the interface. What am I missing here?

Yes, there are multiple ways you can do this using the hub. One way -- and the one you need to check first, since if this doesn't work, then nothing else will -- is directly from the "device detail page" for this device. To try that:

1. Open the admin/web interface for your hub (e.g., the IP address in a web browser)
  2. Navigate to the "Devices" page (using the menu on the left)
  3. Navigate into the page for your Aeotec switch (by clicking/tapping it in the Devices list)
  4. Verify that you see commands (buttons) like "On" and "Off" towards the top of the page and that they work as expected.

If they don't, you might be using the wrong driver. Scroll down a bit and you'll see a "Type" dropdown. This is the driver. What is there?

If you do, you can use it in any app that lets you control switches. This could be the HomeKit Integration app (if you want to use it in Apple Home), Hubitat Dashboard (some setup required), some other app/automation, or the Hubitat mobile app (no setup on the hub itself needed for this) via the "Lights/Switches" tab in the app.

1 Like

That worked. Thank you for your help.

1 Like