Aeon Home Energy Meter ZW095-A

Hi Guys,

I contacted Aeon Support because my readings have not been very accurate, I mentioned in the ticket that I was running fw 1.31 and I knew some people with the same device running 1.35 so they sent the me 1.35 firmware and told me to give it a try...

I asked if I could share it here and they were OK with it so here you have (link).

And these are the instructions they sent me:

**First remove/factory reset the device you wish to OTA update**

1. Set your Z-Wave gateway into unpair mode
2. Tap the button on the device you will be OTA updating.

**To perform an OTA firmware update (this is the same for all of our devices), you'll need (1) Z-Wave USB Adapter (Z-Stick Gen5/S2, UZB1, SmartStick+, etc) and (2) windows PC. Below are the steps:**

1. Unzip the .rar or .zip file attached to this email.
2. Open up the folder and located the file with extension .ex_, rename this file to end with .exe
3. Plug in your Z-Stick Gen5 or other Z-Wave USB Adapters that you may have (if this is the first time plugging it in, wait a minute while the drivers should be automatically installed, if not, please reach back out to me on this step).
4. Open up the .exe file that you renamed in step 2 to open up the OTA firmware update software.
5. To connect Z-Stick to software by selecting (Categories -> Settings) on the top left side of the software.
6. The list should populate with your Z-Stick or other Z-Wave USB Adapter and show any nodes connected to it if any. (controller at the top of the list)
7. Click on "Add Node"
8. Tap the button on DEVICE, which will add into your Z-Stick network as a new node. It should appear at the bottom of the node list.
9. Click on the new node that appears and ensure that it is highlighted.
10. First click on "Node Information" button to update the command class information (otherwise, you cannot perform the update, typically you can skip this step if you paired via OTA software from step 7.)
11. If the DEVICE is battery powered, make sure to tap its button to have the device send a Wakeup Report to update its status.
12. Now on the upper middle side, click on the "Firmware" Tab
13. At the bottom, you'll see a button "Start" click on it.
14. If the DEVICE is battery powered, make sure to tap its button now to have the device send a Wakeup Report to update its status and begin the firmware update process.
15. The green bar should be moving slowly, and you should see a large amount of communication happening. This will take roughly 5 minutes, so take a quick coffee break.
16. When done, a small popup will appear and say "success", go ahead and click OK.
17. Now select "Remove Node"
18. Then tap the button on DEVICE to factory reset it.
19. Close the software up.
20. Follow Steps 4 - 17 to firmware any other of the same DEVICE.

Please note:

• There is no changelog associated so I have no clue exactly what has changed from 1.31 to 1.35, I asked the support guy and he said he was going to ask around for the changelog but never replied back...

• I have not had time to upgrade my HEM GEN5 so I have not tested this myself.

2 Likes

All of the Aeon devices I've upgraded follow a similar path. They "bundle" a version of ZenSys Tools with their firmware. I've never had to do the Exclude. (Steps 7-8) I have upgraded MultiSensors, WallMotes, MiniMotes... and something else.. .can't remember now.. and always done it using an Aeon Z-Stick that's been joined to my "production" ZWave network. (The Aeon Z-Stick is therefor a secondary controller.)

Obviously you can't expect to be USING the device during the upgrade. Battery devices are tricky for the Node Information step. I've found there's a missing step. There's a small blue square (button) on the line for the device. You have to click it then click the Node Info button.

After the new firmware is installed, you'll want to power cycle it instead of steps 17 and on.

I just upgraded both my HEM v5's with this step and firmware. Both upgraded without issue. Thanks!

2 Likes

So here's a question... why am I getting negative readings on my power consumption? I did not have this same behavior in ST.

I added the zwave tool to my device list, how does one use it to actually get the information regarding the firmware version and what not? Thanks

Check the clamps, probably they are backwards

It’s concerning that they would be backwards when it showed positive amounts in ST. I’m also curious since I have two HEM gen5s, and one of them has a clamp around my dryer and another has a clamp around the stove. When either appliance is on, power1 and power2 still read zero. Does this driver not detect power on each clamp and display it? Is it possible to make a rule with RM based on power through individual clamps on the same HEM?

I think this is something with the firmware, I read somewhere else that HEM must be downgraded to 1.31 because 1.35 makes its readings incorrect.

Anyone have any idea why I can't get my ZW095-A to send automatic reports? I've tried exclude/include, factory reset/exclude/include, power cycle HEM, no good. I can refresh and get current values, but it never updates the values on it's own.

I'm using the same driver as everyone else in this thread AFAIK. Firmware of HEM is 1.35.

Thanks!

Edit: Evidently asking for help was all it took, one of the steps I described must of did the trick, it's now working.

1 Like

@cuboy29 can you explain the settings for:

1. Enable/Disable Selective Reporting (I don't see it documented in manual)

2. Change Percentage Percentage change in wattage to induce a automatic report (Whole HEM) Range 0-100 (is this only if selective reporting is enabled?)

3. Wattage Change to Report Threshold change in wattage to induce a automatic report (Whole HEM) Range 0-60000 (is this only if selective reporting is enabled?)

I'm only using the HEM to monitor my 240v dryer (single clamp on 1 line at dryer), I really don't care about the exact wattage/amperage/voltage as my RM rules are only checking to see if power is drawing or not. Are there settings I can optimize to limit unnecessary reporting (z-wave traffic)?

See the description for parameter 3 from the link below.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshdesk.com/data/helpdesk/attachments/production/6052990299/original/ES%20-%20Home%20Energy%20Meter%20Gen5.pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJ2JSYZ7O3I4JO6DA%2F20190207%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20190207T182759Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=f578bd0d49c830bcfa1939fb1d66a9d4e9d09c72080c346e7f1f7fecc4ae7bb2&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=Host&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf

Dead link?

1 Like

Enabling selective reporting appears to stop my HEM from reporting wattage automatically, are you using this feature successfully? Are you also on firmware 1.35?

i am no longer using this DH at the moment because support was suspecting that it was a possible cause of my hub lockup.

Ugh, so are you no longer using the HEM in your system?

What DH are you using now?

the system default one "Aeon Home Energy Meter"

I see, I still use my port, 2 HEMs, no lockups, but I will try the HE with one HEM to see how it reports, thanks for the info

so this is working with the z-wave plus version?

Edit, yep it works