Advice on Rule

I would like to know, just for my own learning curve. Does the cancel wait in this rule do anything.
What I am doing here is that when the closet door opens the light comes on and when the door closes the light goes out. But if the door is left open the light goes out any way in 5 minutes.
Does the cancel wait do anything?

the trigger only fires when the door opens or closes.. if you leave it open it doesnt fire again.

Change the wait to an off with a 5 minute delay.

Nope.

But nice rule.

Technically you could just have an ELSE instead of the ELSE IF because if it fails the if, then your else if condition must be true.

You use the wait for events properly and waiting for elapsed time has only been recently added. This wait for events gets cancelled automatically when the rule is triggered again.

Prior you would have had to do a delay of five mins and made it CANCELABLE. In this case then the cancel delays would have been necessary.

1 Like

That is another way to do it but the way he has it is fine and I have seen Bruce use this syntax.

1 Like

I'd rather use simple automation for this particular rule.

The nice thing about doing simple rules in RM is itā€™s a learning curve to writing more complex rules.

Gotta start somewhere.

Yea but then they do everything in RM4 and then complain it's running slow. Better to use the most appropriate app from the start. I view rm4 as kind of a last choice app when none of the others are appropriate.

Then you should start not liking me now. Lol.

And my hub is running fine.

I use RM when I need conditionals or custom actions it's a very powerful app. But they've put a lot of work into motion and simple. They're great for simple stuff like this.

2 Likes

Ah, urban myth. But I agree with your strategy.

1 Like

You know, I looked into a Simple Automation but I didnā€™t see where I could add the 5 minute lights out if the door was left open. I will look at it again.

Ok I see, but where does it go off when the door closes?

I do agree. But as I said you need to do simple rules in RM before you can do larger rules. The simple rules can then be moved to the simpler apps.

I use button controller and have tried to use the motion app and simple automation etc. Really I have tried. I just always end up not being able to do what I want.

Add another rule to turn off when closed. Rules are efficient. The simpler the rule the better.

Doesnā€™t my original one rule trump 2 rules. The original is not very complex.

I don't really know how to describe this really well but having one rule that does 10 things vs 10 rules that do one thing each, the simplest small rules will generally work better.

Big rules are fine if used sparingly, but you can get carried away easily and saturate your mesh.

Ok. Thank you guys for the responses. I did get my question answered and learned something else along the way. By the way I do a lot of Motion Lighting apps also. Keep them as simple as I can.