Advanced thermostat help!

Hi all, I've set up 4 thermostats and I have a dashboard icon for each, they are now scheduled

The schedule seems to work but the thermostat doesn't change its manual adjust temp number to relate to the schedule - I can see from the actual temp it's stopping where I need it to, is this normal. ?

Now for the main question, before I set up the schedule I had set some boost buttons which turned each area on then off after 20 mins, I can't seem to find a way to make this boost override the schedule, it will turn on but then go off as temp was reached rather than just stay min on for the timed duration, so could anyone help me with a rule that overrides the schedule please ? I've tried quite a few times over this evening and none seem to succeed, thanks for any help :slight_smile:

If you want a boost function, set your boost temperature, then apply a ‘hold’ to the thermostat. This will lock the new setting in place until you turn off the ‘hold’ when the ‘stat will return to its proper setting, even if the Scheduler has changed it.

So if doing this in RM, something like:
Trigger: Virtual/Physical Boost Button/Switch
Actions

• Set Hold
  • Set boost setpoint temp
  • Remove Hold after 20 minutes

Question: Does removing the hold restore to the scheduled setpoint temp or would it keep the boosted setpoint temp in this instance?

Restore to the setpoint, whatever that is in the Scheduler.

So would I make it so the button press places a hold then turns said items in then turns iff after 20 mins and also removes the hold of would I have to set thus via a temp ? Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

I wouldn't be aiming to have a new set point temp i would just be looking at it to run for a set amount of time if that makes sense

Not sure if there is a direct way to do that as all thermostats that I know of, are based off of temperature. Indirectly, you can just set the heating setpoint to something crazy like 99F, and the cooling setpoint to 40F and that will effectively be and on/off and then when the hold is turned off, the schedule resumes.

I’m not at home at the mo’. When I am (Monday or Tuesday) I’ll upload a pic to show you how I’ve done it.

I'm not doing so well Currently as I can't find how to set a hold in rule machine :joy: this is not going well for me currently lol! I was going about it by turning the items the thermostat controls on rather than the thermostat - I'm fully trifling to find the hold command in rule machine so I'll have to have have another look when the kids have gone to bed ! I think your idea of a higher set point will be the way forward.

Yeah in my experience, everything should be controlled via the scheduler, the thermostat itself is just a relay device to control whatever you have it controlling.

Here is where the hold command is:

This is what I would recommend trying, I have not tried this method myself so no clue if it will work, but my guess is that it will, also you will likely have to mess with the setpoint as HE has limits, 35F on the low end, not sure about the high end though.

1 Like

I now see where I'm going wrong. I was in thermostat not thermostat scheduler! I had this working beautifully before I decided to add a schedule, so I had the boost buttons all working with some community help, I'll put this together later tonight and then try it out and I'll let you know if it works for future reference :slight_smile: thanks for your help, thermostats etc are very new to me, it all started with me wanting to control one room and now I have control of each individual room, I had hive installed which is now in a box lol surplus to requirements

1 Like

It didn't work, when I turn it on, it doesn't respect the rule the thermostat doesn't change at all and the the boiler etc doesn't turn on so I tried it a slightly different way, I asked it to put the stat on hold then turn the boiler on and then delayed the off for 20 mins and Also to remove the hold in 21 mins, this time when I pressed the button it turned on but turned off 45 seconds later, so there must be some sort of conflict between rule machine and the stat, I may have to remove the virtual stat and go back to rule machine, I just really liked the ability to turn the temp up in the virtual stat on the dashboard which I can't do without the virtual stat

Can you show a picture of your rule? I just created a dummy rule and it appears to be working fine for me, hold goes on, then gets set to 80F in this case, and then after 10 seconds it resets to the schedule.

If you look at your thermostat device, see if it states the max and min temps, you may be going out of their range and thus the setpoint not being set:

Right I've redone the rule as I first made it, I've I'm within the range it just doesn't turn on, I have some errors In the logs. I'm not sure what they mean though, perhaps you can she would e light on it

So I have not looked over everything, but the first problem I see is with your rule, you turn on and off the hold fine, but you need to change the thermostat itself when setting the temperature, not the schedule, the schedule is disregarded when the hold is on. Look at my rule for reference.

For reference, I am using the same Advanced vThermostat driver as you and it seems to be working.

1 Like

Oh my word ! You're absolutely correct, I'm going to change it now !

I've now made that change and it's turned on and stated on! Thankyou so much, I've just got to wait out the timer now and check it turns off, I never would have got to this point without you !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.