Advanced Rule Manager?

are you sure this will work the way I want ?
I want to start the action set 1, WHEN contact is open and IF there was no motion in last 2 minutes.

btw, really isn't there any advanced rule manager for Hubitat ?

I am really afraid of Webcore, but if I can't find any other way of complex rules, I will have to install it. Anybody here know what is "storage" option of Webcore ? (I saw it on Hubitat Package Manager)

I don't know, I can give you only the stats facts...
For the rest: Only the developers of Hubitat can know...

Really? We talk about a factor of 70!

1 Like

Is there a difference in RM between "Delay 30 minutes" (when used alone, not with another command) and "wait for elapsed time 30 minutes"?

Sorry, I was unclear.

I was referring to your global assessment that the GUI is acting snappier, and that presumably pleases you as the user.

That’s prone to error. But it’s an assessment that a human being that uses the system cares about.

Who cares about a factor of 70? Besides an engineer :wink:.

Yes, a "Wait" is cancelled (it and everything after it) any time your rule is re-triggered. A "Delay" must be explicitly cancelled, with the typical method being marking it as "cancelable" and using a "Cancel Delayed Actions" elsewhere in your rule. This applies to any kind of delay.

2 Likes

Rule Machine would be considered a very advanced rule manager. It is different than webcore and there is no consensus on this forum as to which one is more advanced or powerful. Many people that come from ST like webcore, but this is more because they are used to it. Rule Machine can create some extremely complex automations, usually if complexity beyond RM is required people are writing their own custom apps.

As far as the automation you want to happen. It helps if you clearly define what you want to have happen. Your initial post did not specify the only trigger should be contact open. So the rule I posted above won't do what you want, but it can be fixed. One thing to note about Rule Machine, is rules are free. Some automations are just easier to do in two rules as opposed to one, I would create your automation with two rules as so:

Rule 1:
Triggers:
Motion Changed
Actions:
If motion is inactive then
set Variable 1 to Now in seconds
Else
set Variable 1 to 3 000 000 000
End-IF

Rule 2
Triggers:
Contact Open
Actions:
Set Variable 2 to Now in seconds
Set Variable 3 to Variable 2 subtract Variable 1
If Variable 3 is > 120 seconds then
do action set 1
Else
Do action set 2
End-IF

Note when I am setting the variables to "Now in seconds" I am setting a number variable to the current Unix time. Setting the variable to 3 000 000 000 just insures the rule will evaluate the way you want until the current unix time surpasses 3 000 000 000, this will happen on January 24th 2065, so the rule will work till then. If you want the rule to work longer just choose a larger number, LOL.

I should probably test this before I post, but I am fairly sure it will do what you want.

1 Like

I understand that by using public variables we can do several related rules.
but that makes things more complicated than required.
on COre or webCore you have the ability to do this in a simple "if/else if" statement (maybe using nested if )

I still do not understand why something like Core is not being integrated to Hubitat.
it would really make life easier...

I’m not trying to be a contrarian here, but, for me, as long as the hub is reliably running its automations without noticeable lags, regardless of how efficient the automations are, and the load isn’t severe, and there isn’t a memory leak (so that the hub pretty much runs unattended unless there is a firmware update), then that’s pretty close to perfection as far as I am concerned. There seems to be plenty of spare compute power. Unless memory leaks gobble up the memory, then, as long as I don’t have to pair a difficult Z-Wave device, it’s fine, and runs and runs.

I think some things are "easier" with webcore, while others are "easier" with Rule Machine. The specific example you picked may be easier with webcore (or core). I don't really know as I have never used them.

I would not consider what I posted to be overly complex, I have rules that are significantly more complex that this one. What I have noticed is that if Hubitat is a person's first hub, they are often happy with the Hubitat apps and have little or no interest in Webcore or Core, but users coming from ST want Webcore since that is what they are used to. So yes, I can see that if Core was integrated into hubitat it would make life easier for you, but this is applicable to only you and other people that have used ST. It would have zero effect on me. I tried using webcore, made absolutely no sense, couldn't figure out how to do anything. I am sure I could learn, but what's the point, Rule Machine can do anything I imagine.

See this post for another take on the issue:

CoRE was created on SmartThings as a response to the disappearance of Rule Machine. (Now we know where Rule Machine went!) So, in that sense, something like CoRE already is integrated into Hubitat. Both have just evolved a bit since the two products nearly crossed paths on a different platform--Rule Machine with Rule 4.x (pretty different from the original), and CoRE into webCoRE.

CoRE is under an open license, and you could port it to a Hubitat app if you wanted. Community members (but by and large just nh.schottfam recently) have ported and mantained webCoRE, as I'm sure you know about. (But yes, it's not officially supported, and webCoRE being what it is requires another server to run the editor on, either your own locally or the freely available cloud-hosted one.) Most people seem to strongly prefer the latter, which--coupled with the existence of RM--I'm guessing is why no one has attempted the former.

But there's no stopping anyone. :slight_smile:

Why did WebCoRE overtake CoRE in the first place?

Presumably the web-based interface was preferred by most users.

IMHO, it would be kind of a waste of time for anyone besides a motivated former ST user to make CoRE work with Hubitat.

As @bertabcd1234 mentioned, someone can do that if they want.

But Hubitat’s built-in options for automation creation, whether simple or advanced, really make CoRE unnecessary.

1 Like

well, I would be more than happy to work on porting Core to Hubitat.
However, I could not find a proper source to work on.
I have the main smart app source but I don't have the code for child processes (pistons)
if I can find it , I will have a look at what I can do.

Besides that, for now, I installed webCore
it is really very flexible when compared to RM (and other available Hubitat automations)

Rule machine is extremely flexible. But it has a very different interface than WebCoRE.

RM’s interface is generally acknowledged to be one of its weakest points.

Personally, I have found automation creation to be sort of tough whether working with rule machine or WebCoRE. Not really how my brain is wired.

3 Likes

I am glad you found an app that works for you. Hubitat is all about choice and what one user is comfortable with can be different than what another user is comfortable with.

I would state the following: I installed Rule Machine, it is really very flexible when compared to Webcore (and other available ports from ST).

Perspective, and past experience means a lot when we evaluate things. I have the exact opposite evaluation than yours. Which one is correct? They both are, yours is right for you, mine is right for me.

3 Likes

It is all in the same file in ady624's CoRE repo. (This is not the recommended file structure for parent/child apps in Hubitat.)

2 Likes

well, probably because of that reason, Hubitat complains about child device not being found.
is there an easy way that I can modify it to be 2 separate files ?

The easy way is to keep almost everything the same and modify the name: and parent: lines in the app code definition for each of the now-two files to be "static" strings, not dynamically generated as they are now. (There might be more places where they use this trickery; this is just what I see offhand.) The best way would be to do that, plus tease out what needs to be in the parent vs. child app code, and go from there.

2 Likes

In fact, that's another important point! :+1:

Who doesn't know the "puzzlement" when you suddenly can't edit a RM rule anymore. :open_mouth:
(Only "solution" offered: "Try to clone it - or redo it from scratch!") :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.