Advanced mode for sending commands to device

My bad, you are right, I was so used to only using the community drivers ST had, that totally forgot how basic the stock drivers were.
Please ignore my previous statement. :sweat:

Good call on Z-Wave Tweaker. I started to try and port it, but I’m not sure how to migrate the getZwaveInfo() command that it uses. I can’t really find it documented well anywhere. It seems to pull the classes for the device as a map and then use that to decide whether it’s a secure device and also to figure out how to scan it. Can’t initialize without it, though.

It feels like there should be a migration guide out there, but maybe it’s just internal. I’ve noticed simple things like fixing the enum preference definitions and replacing physicalgraph with hubitat, but issues like this one are trickier for me to just figure out by looking at code.

Sorry if these questions are simple, I haven’t had to do much custom device handler work for z-wave.

1 Like

I believe that even if Hubitat is LOCAL, we should not neglect the Z-wave nodes.

I use it to link a water probe to a water valve. A wall switch bind to a small controller conceal in the house. (Qubino, Fibaro RGBW, Aeotec switch, etc.)

Hubitat will certainly be more reliable than Smartthings but the basic Z-wave nodes and less dependent hub controllers.

Good luck with the migration of Z-wave TWEAKER. This would be a nice addition to my system.

Sorry to jump on the end of this discussion but has anyone had any luck with with a custom device handler to write parameters for basic setup/config?
I am in need of adjusting some parameters in an Aeotec Nano Dimmer to manually set the dimming range as per below:

I am using the Aeotec Micro driver that seams like it will fully work once these parameters have been set, the only restriction is the second switch input on the Nano that will not be available. I would like to set the parameters and then revert back to the Aeotech Micro Dimmer DH.

I read that ST has a custom DTH for this:

Anything similar for Hubitat @mike.maxwell ? I really don't want to setup a separate z-wave network just to initially configure these devices.

3 Likes

Did you ever find a solution for this Braetonpearson? I also have and Aeotec device that I need to config and having hard time trying to.

1 Like

Is something like this what you are looking for?

Yeah I was just looking at that before but not sure where I can change the config file. And I have the Aus zwave stick so not sure if pasting that in will work or mess anything up.

ZWave is ZWave, independent of radio frequency in use.

The Super Basic Z-Wave parameter tool allows you to do what it implies.. set parameters of the ZWave device.

Let me see if I can explain it from a different angle.

When a Device Driver is created, especially Generic's, they may not set every parameter available on every device that could possibly use that driver.

You Include a Device, ideally it auto selects a "good enough" driver, or you manually change it. Then you click Configure and the set of parameters are sent. If it's a battery device, the device must wait for awake, which you can usually cause manually.

But now you find there are ZWave parameters that you'd like to "set special." You SWAP the device driver with "Basic ZWave Tool" and use THAT to set the specific parameters. Then you SWAP BACK to the best functional driver.

Warning: If the "best functional driver" sets a parameter, and it is for that reason you've swapped to use the Super basic ZWave parameter tool, then do NOT click Configure, ever again, the driver WILL reset your parameter to the value you don't want and you'll have to do the "swap dance" again. If the driver never touches your parameter, then it's much more likely to "stick" after a Configure.

Remember, the Parameters we're referencing here are out on the physical Zwave device. They are not seen or stored by the Hub.

1 Like

I was using another DH I found for advanced functions. I would change the DH, make the changes to parameters then change back to Hubitat built in DH. This did not satisfy all requirements as not all parameters are available.
I have now seen @cwwilson08 basic parameter tool that I will check out. Maybe what I need.
I know I need to stop the dimmers from automatically sensing the load every time the power is cycles as this causes the lights to come on (then off again) in a power outage.

Thanks for the explanation, but I see the code but I am just at a lost what I do with that or how to get into the config settings. I goto the device page in Hubitat and see nothing there, Goto zwave page and nothing there.

Is there some idiots guide out there to change config settings?

@mike.maxwell says that battery devices must be awake when the parameter is sent using his tool. So the proper technique is to press the "wake up" button first then send the parameter with the tool. I can confirm that it doesn't work if you send the parameter and then wake the device.

First and foremost, you MUST have the advanced configuration information for the device you want to program:

1. Parameter
  2. Byte Length
  3. Value

Second, you need to install the code that @mike.maxwell created in the driver's code section of HE (cut/paste/save).

Third, go into the device settings for the device you want to program, change the "device type" to the one you just created (it will be located at the bottom of the list under user drivers. Then choose save.

Fourth, now you can set the parameter you want to change using the information you gathered in the first step. Don't select "set" until you have pressed the 'program/wake" button on the device if it's battery powered.

Lastly, when you're done programming, change the device type back to the original one you had set and click save. Finished! As mentioned earlier, DO NOT choose configure or change any of the settings in the actual driver settings page for your device or it will over-write your work.

DONE!

@mike.maxwell has already stated that this tool will morph into an actual app at some point which will make it more user friendly, but for now, it gets the job done.

1 Like

By advance configuration info, this is what I am going off: Disable Alarm Sound in the Garage Door Controller : Aeotec by Aeon Labs

Pretty much just need to kill the alarm on this thing as it's way too loud!

It looks like you can adjust the volume without actually disabling the alarm. I would recommend you consider that as it's a good idea to have an audible and visual warning that the door is about to operate without you being able to see it.

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000142866-configure-garage-door-controller

It looks like the parameter values are described in hex format, I believe the tool is set to use decimal only so you will want to use a hex to decimal conversion to get your settings. But to answer your question, yes you are have the correct information using those guides.

Looks like their all 4 byte entries so the format in the tool will be:

Parameter xx
Byte: 4
Setting: decimal value you desire

There are three boxes top to bottom follows this format.

Also, it looks like the tilt sensor is how you wake the device for programming, it doesn't have a button but rather you just move it as described to activate the wake up cycle.

Yeah I tried to just plug it into my computer but for whatever reason it is not picked up. Tried a few and nothing, so was waiting on Aeotec support to get back to me and that is taking about 5 days now so thought would try and see if I could do it this other way.

Thanks you again so much for this help though!

The programming is done through the HE hub, not via the device usb port.

Just to make sure doing it right and won't mess anything up. Is this correct?

EDIT: So I just tried it that way, but no go. Is there any sort of confirmation or feedback should be seeing when I click the "Set Parameter" ? And do I click save after each time or should I just put the info in, click "Set Parameter" and rinse and repeat?

Open a separate tab with the logs open. When you click the set parameter button the command is sent to the device, after which a report for that parameter is requested and the output is displayed in the logs.
You can also request a report manually by entering the parameter number in the getParameterReport field.
If you click getReportParameter with no value in the box, all existing parameter values will return in the live logs.

So something is wrong or I am doing it wrong. I have the logs page open and clicking the "Get Parameter Report" blank or with a value in it does nothing in the logs, and same for the "Set Parameter"

The only button that does anything in logs when clicked is the "Get Command Class Report"

is it paired securely currently? (in the data section: zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true) ?