Adding switch (when on) to disable turn off (in Rule machine)

Hi I noticed that when adding motion lighting rules using RM, the option for switch (when on) to disable turning off, doesn't exist. it is available in the motion lighting app and it's very useful but when unfortunately not available when setting lighting motion using RM
there is a switch when on to disable the whole rule which is not quite the same since the rule may have both turn on and turn off portions
Can HE consider adding it in future update?

Thanks

If you split the off function into a separate trigger or triggered rule, you can restrict just the off action that way.

I know, that's a good work around but I don't think it's that difficult to implement since it's in the motion lighting app, I like to consolidate rules as much as I can rather than having tons of them and making it super crouded.

The saying around here is....Rules are free! Sometimes it takes several to accomplish what you're after. IMO this seems like a fringe use case...if you're trying to make RM work like Motion Lighting, why not just use Motion Lighting?

That being said... @bravenel is the guy to ask about this, RM is his creation.

That's another issue I noticed. with motion lighting app, I can't set bulb color (using hue), bulb won't turn on at all. Using RM option to set color works
So what I have now is
White daylight... I'm using motion lighting app
Colors.. I have to use rule machine

Hopefully @bravenel will take a look at this

There is a bug in Motion Lighting color when you aren't using modes. Fixed in upcoming release. Should work if you are specific color-per-mode.

great news, any estimated date about the firmware update?
please consider adding switch (when on) to disable turn off in Rule machine as well

This feature is already there in Restrictions. The switch to disable can be selected as On or Off.

17%20AM

that option disables the whole rule, it will work if the rule is about turning off the light
I try to consolidate turn on/turn off light in one rule, so that disable rule option will cancel out the whole rule (turn off/on) not just turn off right?

Sounds like you have a complex situation that doesn't fit a single rule. We certainly aren't going to be adding more levels of disabling particular actions. Where does that process stop? Do this, but not if that? That's the whole point of Rule Machine. Rules are free. Break it into two rules if you need more complex logic for just some of your actions.

it's really nothing complex
just turn on lights and turn off lights (like in the motion lighting app) with an option to not turn off light if a switch is on.
anyway if setting color is fixed in the next release then it won't be an issue since I will just use motion lighting app
thx

Ya, Motion Lighting's purpose is to put in one place the sorts of conditions that are typical for lighting with a motion sensors. Rule Machine's purpose is sort of like Legos, with generalized capabilities and actions. It would take many rules to do what a single instance of Motion Lighting can do.

1 Like

make sense, any idea when next firmware will be launched?