Adding Old Jasco Light Switches

I am starting to set up my new HE hub, and it has been slow going. It took my wife and I about an hour to get 4 devices added to the hub.

I am trying to add my old Jasco light switches to my hub. Some are On/Off and some are Dimmers. In both cases, it is taking forever to Exclude them and then add them to my new hub.

First, I am not sure what the commands on the switches actually are. I have tried "1 tap On" and "3 On, 3 Off", and "On Off On Off On Off On Off".

I am also not sure how long I should wait between trying the 3 variations, above, and when I should expect my HE to acknowledge that a device has been added or excluded. So how long does it take for a switch to settle down and return to normal so that I can try to either Include or Exclude it? And then, how long does it take for HE to tell me that it has Excluded or Included a device? Just knowing the wait times would be a big help.

I have a few, well several of them, and this is what I know about them, To exclude is hitting the on upper paddle 3 times, fairly close to together. And I typically hit with that combination several time. The blue led should blink.

If this doesn't work, then I hit the on and off in fairly rapid succession. This always works for me, if the first method doesn't.

It also helps to stand on your left leg wearing a necklace of garlic.

3 Likes

Having just moved all my ZWave devices to C7 hub, I found this document vital in keeping track how to include/exclude each device brand.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

1 Like

IIRC is it "ON ON ON OFF OFF OFF" to reset the Jasco switch. did mine a while ago when i first got HE

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start.

1 Like

Really old GE/Jasco Z-Wave switches and dimmers do not have a manual factory reset procedure at all. The only way reset those devices is via Z-Wave Exclusion. Put any Z-Wave controller in general exclusion mode, and simply press 'on' one time on the switch. If using Hubitat as the Z-Wave controller to perform Exclusion, you should see in the Hubitat logs a confirmation that a device has been excluded. With these really old devices, I had to actually bring them into the same room as my Hubitat C-4 hub to get this to work.

I have since removed all of these troublesome devices and replaced them with Lutron switches, dimmers, fan controllers, and Pico remotes.

3 Likes

Ding, Ding, Ding. That is the correct answer. :slight_smile:

After hours of frustration trying to add these old devices to my new HE hub, and after reading numerous posts sort-of related to this issue, I came to the same conclusion/solution that you defined above. I purchased a 100' long Cat6 Patch Cable and physically moved my HE into each room. Then I was able to easily Exclude each device, using a single "press", just as you stated, above.

Thank you.

2 Likes