Adding Aeotec Range Extenders has made my BE469 and FE599 locks reliable

Man, is there anymore where you got them I'm paying 25+?

I got two used on Amazon Warehouse for $22 a piece. Randomly found a girl on Craigslist New Orleans selling a brand-new 2-pack as Aeotec WiFi extenders for $15. She sold them for $10. Highly likely they were stolen off someone's porch, but that's a supposition.

1 Like

Are you using the Reliable Locks app? If so what do you have your locks set to refresh interval at?

@waynespringer79

Yes. 10 minutes.

Right on, That's what I had but I still had them drop off a little bit (usually happens with excessive device chatter), so I'm down to 5 minutes until my 3rd repeater comes in, then I'll start working my way up until they stay on all the time.....at least now their not very difficult to get back to polling.

@waynespringer79 @aaiyar what driver are you using with your repeaters. I am currently using this one but may switch to the generic zwave repeater driver: Aeotec range extender problems

@craigspree

I didn't know about that driver. I'm just using the generic z-wave repeater driver. They pair as "Device".

I'm using the generic one as well

My first one paired as a device, I later excluded and included again and it paired as a "Generic Zwave Repeater" and automatically assigned the Generic Zwave Repeater driver. As did my second one paired like this as well

Thanks guys. I had started them off with that other driver, but have switched both to "Generic Zwave Repeater" for now. If this doesn't do the trick, then I'll see about adding my Wink v1 back as a repeater as well...

2 Likes

:frowning: For two days after I added the 2nd repeater things seemed to be working well. I thought maybe this was resolved. But no. This morning my side door (20’ from the hub, 15’ from the repeater, 2’ from a Z-Wave plus plug with beaming) stopped responding to rules and commands via the hub. Disconnecting and reconnecting the batteries (which I replaced 2 weeks ago with all new) got it working again after a few minutes.

I still believe the issue is not just drivers or mesh. I believe the issue to be related to some combination of interaction between rules, the software on the hub, and drivers for the locks based on thorough testing which I have shared previously, and am happy to share again if @bobbyD finds it useful.

I am otherwise so very happy with Hubitat for everything else - so much more than Wink - but this lock issue is beyond frustrating.

2 Likes

One thing to possibly try is letting the mesh fix itself.....sounds crazy, but this has helped mine.

After I first begin trying these range extenders, I followed the logs religiously, as well as non-responsiveness issues. And as soon as I noticed an issue with dropping off the communication (missing refreshes/unresponsive/etc) I would begin power cycling the lock, rebooting the hub, running zwave repairs, etc. Which would get it back going for a short time.

The last 4-5 days I've been monitoring but not doing anything, and I notice now the polling/unresponsiveness is almost all but gone, it's definitely improving on its own if it happens it comes right back after a couple more polls and rules seem to work as they should.

Nothing related to this issue sounds crazy anymore. I’ll give it a try. :slight_smile:

I also do have two more range extenders coming, as I do see a significant improvement since I've added the first two

$100 for range extenders sure beats throwing away and replacing $600 worth of locks

2 Likes

Thanks to you, I have 3 more on the way. :-):grinning:

2 Likes

Well, I got impatient... sorry @waynespringer79 :stuck_out_tongue: So I went ahead and paired my Winkhub v1 as a repeater with Hubitat and did a z-wave repair. At least this way I can (hopefully) rule out issues with mesh, as I've added 2 Aeotec repeaters, 3 z-wave plus plug beaming repeaters, AND my original WinkHub which operated these locks perfectly for years. If this doesn't work after a few days once everything stabilizes, I'm out of ideas other then my hypothesis that it is somehow related to code/rule machine. I'll report back either way.

Random question to @waynespringer79 and @aaiyar do either/both of you have any Zooz Zen15 Ver 2.0 power switches? I have another hunch as well... but could be nothing.

@craigspree

No Zooz products. I had a Zooz mini plug, but it went offline all the time (with Wink 2), so I tossed it when moving to HE.

1 Like

I have following repeaters near the two problem locks a Zooz Zen 26, Fibaro Dimmer 2, Zooz Siren,, Fibaro Wall Plug, and a Zooz Power Strip, 5-10 feet from one lock.

And a Zooz Zen 22 and a Fibaro Wall Plug 5 foot next to the other

I had a Zooz Zen 15 that was next to a problem lock out in my garage. I replaced that with the Aeotec repeater, and put the Zen 15 next to one of my locks that was spotty in the past but worked well 90% of the time.

Within 2 days of moving that Zen 15 next to my other lock, THAT lock started falling off the network unless I reset the battery pack in the lock.

I updated the Zen 15 firmware to the latest version that I received from their support this week to rule that out. Yet my door next to that Zen 15 keeps falling off the network more frequently than ever.

Just now, I tried a "Configure" on my locks, after setting my Wink Hub back up. The lock out in my garage (where I put the Wink hub and have an Aeotec repeater AND an inovelli z-wave plug) ran through the configuration returning the lock codes with no issues. I THEN hit configure on the lock next to the Zen 15... and my network froze like usual when things aren't working. SO I unplugged the Zen15, and hit "Configure" again, and the lock responded IMMEDIATELY!

Note, I have another Zen15 in my house, but far away from any locks, and that was left plugged in during the duration of the test above. The Zen15 that I unplugged has otherwise been working great as a plug. So, I've moved the Zen15 down into my basement, far from the 'problem' lock and we'll see if that has any impact to stability.

I'd like it if you'd be willing to run some tests with those Zooz devices near your locks turned off/unplugged, if it isn't a massive pain in the rear for you. Again, it could be nothing...