Adding a sound to a action

Is there a way to add a sound before an action excursion? I would like a bell or chime sound before the announcement of device action.
Bell, door open... Without using an Alexa routine or virtual switch.

What app are you using? From "action," I might assume Rule Machine, in which case the answer is yes: just add an action that does whatever you want. But, of course, you need some device that can actually do this. (An Alexa routine triggered by a virtual switch could actually be one way, but you can play a file on Sonos, use a Zigbee or Z-Wave chime, maybe LANnouncer if it's still around, or whatever other options are out there...)

I do this with my Ecolink chime siren.

I now use Alexa with a virtual switch to play a routine. I'm looking to do This within Hubitat. Is there a way to do this with echo speaks?

You could use echo speaks, but functionally it wouldn’t really be any different than what you are doing now. The end result is still a cloud-dependent sound coming from an Echo device. Just a different method than Alexa routine plus virtual switch.

To do this “within Hubitat” you need an audio file and a speaker of some sort.

@velvetfoot does it with a z-wave device that has built-in sounds.

@bertabcd1234 listed a few other possible methods.

This is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099CS76K3

1 Like

You can record your own sounds, which I do.
For example: "All garage doors are closed", "The gate has been open for more than ten minutes", "Mail has arrived", "A package has arrived", "Attention: There is a water leak", "The transfer switch is on generator", "The hub has restarted" (lol).

I use the built-in siren sounds for the z-wave smoke/co detector in the garage.

It has a built in backup battery so it can indeed notify that the generator transfer switch has operated, even though it might not have mains power for 15 seconds while power source switches. Hub and router are on battery as well.

1 Like

And this is what I use

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKNkFzc

I have and love that siren. Can you share how to deal with the low volume of every custom sound I add to the siren? The stock sounds are so much louder and clearer

Cloud using echo speaks is fine. I just don't want to keep going to 2 different app to make changes or adjustments.
I'd like to add sounds to echo speaks like chimes, bells, trumpet. In rule machine when a door closed a sound before announcement.
Any examples how to would help... Thanks

There was that thread that was my guide.
Were you on that too?
I'll look for it later.

This is the thread I was thinking of:

1 Like

Never tried this myself, but this command could be called from rule machine, if you can figure out which strings it accepts:

Thanks, I'll check it out.