Add Security Camera to Dashboard

You send the feed from the camera to Synology or TinyCam and then use the url either of those provides to put in your dashboard. Then it doesn't matter what device or browser you use. It's basically re-encoding it on the fly.

There is a single user that has been repeatedly banned in the past because his behavior suggests he either disagrees with this statement, or is perhaps somehow incapable of not arguing with others.

It appears as though yesterday that user once again created a fake account and promptly resumed his usual MO, in this thread and others. I believe he has already been banned again.

Please don’t consider this person’s behavior to be representative of the vast majority of users here.

3 Likes

That guy from last night was the first person I had come across here that acted like that. He was messing with Aaiyar at the same time last night. Everyone else has been super helpful and supportive.

I can get my Hikvision camera to work but to do it I have to open a browser and login on the tablet, passing the username and password through in the URL does not work as it says it doesn't need it with a pop up that needs responding to before it will continue. Works fine on the PC all the time in the dashboard but on the Android tablet only after logging into the camera first, and then only for a certain amount of time before failing again. If I could pass through the username and password that would help but the pop up is the sticking point. In the end I gave up :frowning:

Yea, thats why I suggested the Synology or TinyCam. There just isn't a way around it with this model. There are a few other Hik models that do support mjpeg raw feed though.

I did try this with TinyCam Pro using the webserver. It works thru the tablet broswer but not in HE tablet app. There has to be an easier way?? Have tried video player template as well. I also tried just using a picture grab. They all work in tablet browsers but not in HE. I agree it could be the type of camera but if any browser can get the video why cant HE? I know it is probably a whole lot more complicated then my simple question. Spent a lot of time trying anything. I did sign up for ActionTiles and it worked first try....

Is there a differnt URL that you can add the TinyCam user name that will work in HE? Maybe it is not getting passed the login?

http://192.168.1.114:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi

@pricebn Depends if you can get the raw video feed from the camera as mjpeg or not. What model of camera do you have and I can find out if there is a feed for that model.

You are using an image tile in a dashboard? Mine work fine from tinyCam that way. Make sure you have the correct url including the relevant camera number.

The model is DS-2CD2032-I
Stream 2 is set to mjpg. The main stream can only be H264.
I am using the image tile. This already works on the PC just not on the phone or tablet.

Send the main H264 RTSP feed to TinyCam and then try the TinyCam feed.
The camera is listed as supported: DS-2CD2032-I (jpeg, rtsp/h264, motion detection, 2-w audio, led)

OK
What would be the URL to use in HE adnroid app for the tile? Below is what I was using and it didnt work on tablet just the PC. So now it works in the tablet browser logging in to the HE hub but the HE android app still wont display the video. Do I need to put the login credentials in the HE Tile URL?

http://192.168.1.114:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi

As per my previous comment above, you need the camera number. Check the tinyCam webserver docs.

OK i only had one camera and didnt think that it mattered since it proved to work on the pc without it. It did finally work with the URL below in the HE app. I appreciate the help and suggestions and your time!

http://192.168.1.114:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=1&user=admin&pwd=*****

1 Like

There is one more approach (actually 2 more approaches to getting this working).
However, I first have to state that I haven't been able to get these two approaches working, so, please take this with a grain of salt. (I currently use the Synology -> Surveillane Station -> MJPEG Stream).
Approach #1: IF you have a spare PC:
It apparently is possible to use VLC on a standalone PC, to re-encode an RTSP stream and broadcast it out. I've seen some websites discuss how to do this, but as stated above, with my poor technical skills, I haven't been able to do it.
Approach #2 IF you have some spare capacity on a RPI (or similar SBC):
I have seen on various websites how it's possible to use a RPI and various Linux commands to recode an RTSP stream to an MJPEG stream. However, I have been unable to duplicate this approach.

That's all a bit vague and unproven then :rofl:

Hey, Mike, I am new to HE, switch from Vera. I have 5 Amcrest wireless cams, they integrated well with Vera. But I can't find any way to get them working with HE. I have the URL link. The URL will work in browser after the initial enter the user ID and password. But when I put in the image tile, it just go blank. I also connected these cameras with Synology NAS, You said you can stream them to HE via Synology NAS. Do you mind share your instructions how to do this? Do you get a URL from Synology? Thanks!

Not sure about Amcrest cams specifically, but if you've got it working in Synology, it should work.

Assuming your cameras are set up in Synology:
Open Synology Surveillance Station
Click IP Camera
Right Click One of the cameras already setup
Select Share Stream Path
Paste into Dashboard tile
Repeat for multiple cams

Thanks Mike. I got it working now. :+1:

Hi all, I'm having similar issues to this with a few D-Link DCS-5222L's which to my knowledge does provide a native mjpeg stream with authentication. In the interest of avoiding crosspostings in the forums, if you would be kind to have a look at my posting here:

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.