Add Security Camera to Dashboard

I am trying to add some Hik cameras to my dashboards. I was successful in doing it from my PC. When i pull up the same dashboard on my tablet or phone, the video is not working. It is just blank. I am using this link below. Not sure why it works on pc but not on tablet??

http://192.168.1.200:10004/Streaming/channels/102/httpPreview

Thanks!!

Looks like an encapsulated stream. Have a link to the mjpeg stream?

I had to send my steam via a Synology NAS. Works well with the two free camera licences.....

Does the stream require any type of authentication? When you try to view the stream from the browser on your phone or tablet what happens? If you ever had to input a username and password when viewing the stream on your PC, those credentials might be cached, meaning you wouldn't have to enter them a second time from the same computer. It would just open the stream. But if you hadn't opened the stream via that link on your phone or tablet, then it would not automatically open. Because of the nature of the dashboard app, you would also not get a prompt for your username/password.

The fact that you can view the stream in your dashboard on your PC means that this is not a format problem. If the stream were not playable in HTTP it would not play in the dashboard on your PC.

It is or it wouldn't work on the dashboard on the PC.

Not required. The stream is visible on the PC.

The stream is visible on your PC because it has the required codec. I ran into the same issue streaming nest cam to my dashboard. It works on the PC but not on the mobile app. And no this is with a nest account that was migrated to google.

You can get it to work by using the mjpeg stream and the image tile on your dashboard. There are a lot of docs available to show you how. Just google Hik cam mjpeg stream.

We're talking about a dashboard so I am assuming they are trying to view this in either Chrome or Edge or Firefox. So, codecs really won't matter, since your browser can't use them. Maybe some special browser extension or plug-in but the OP didn't say that they had to install any of those to view the stream.

Also, the url starts with http. If it were an rtsp stream, it would start with rtsp. :slight_smile:

Before assuming that it's a player problem and recommending to recompile the stream, I think it would be easier to start with the simpler test of seeing if the stream can be opened in the browser directly firs, since it will only take 2 seconds to try. But hey, if you want to work for hours and hours first, be my guest.

I maintain, first thing to try is to open the url directly in your browser on your phone.

That's basically all you have to do to access the mjpeg stream. Just paste it into the tile and your done. Not that I already have one working already in my garage or anything but what do I know.

Why would you do that before just trying the url directly in your browser?

Because browsers include basic codecs. Chrome since version 10 or so for one. You'll have him chasing his tail.

Not if he gets a pop up asking for his username and password, now will he?

@10d3f67609b53210d7cc And then when it doesn't work in the mobile app?

I didn't say anything about the mobile app. And neither did the OP. But you do realize that the mobile app is nothing more than a webview of the dashboard, right? So, if the dashboard works in the browser on your phone, it should work in the app too. But I am saying to open the CAMERA URL in the browser on your phone first.

Your assertion that the mobile app and the web browser function the same is incorrect though. I can send you a link to prove it if you want but I'd rather watch you and aaiyar on the other post. It's pretty funny.

1 Like

I think it is pretty sad. This forum is for helping others, not arguing about who is correct. I have probably said too much, now I will get YELLED at. It looks like geeks can't take a joke.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input!! I have been trying to get there from the phone chrome app and it is not working either. I was also trying to get the RTSP stream to work but cant figure that one out either.

rtsp://192.168.1.200:554/profile2/media.smp

Embed Hikvision IP camera to web page
This is the format to follow for all Hikvision IP products
RTSP without Authentication (NVR/DVR/IPC/Encoder)
rtsp://:/Streaming/channels/
NOTE: represents main stream (01), or the sub stream (02)
Example:
rtsp://192.168.1.168:10554/Streaming/channels/101 – get the mainstream of the 1st channel
rtsp://192.168.1.168:10554/Streaming/channels/102 – get the sub stream of the 1st channel

This image is from HA dashboard in chrome on pc.

Yea, RTSP is the problem you either need to pull an mjpeg stream from the camera or send the rtsp stream to something like TinyCam and re-encode it to mjpeg.

Since your camera supports sub streams, I'd just use the second stream and set it to use mjpeg and leave the rtsp stream there so you can use either depending on the situation.

I agree. I have already setup all cameras sub streams to mjpeg. I think it is an issue of PC chrome browser vs the tablet android browser. I get an XML error. I think it should be html that chrome is trying to find xml???