Add second HE C8 to Alexa skill without disabling

Hey folks,

After reaching the point where my C8 logs frequent 'severe utilization' events and runs far more slowly when editing rules, etc., I've decided to use a second hub to LB things. Moving stuff over has gone pretty well and I'm now besotted with Hub Mesh :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: (for obvious reasons).

My approach was to mesh every device & variable I needed to simplify the initial port and steadily refactor the rules to use local equivalents where the meshed device/variable wasn't needed. That also went well... until today where I hit a snag with the Alexa integration. Short story:

• I use a ton of momentary switches projected to Alexa that trigger whatever it is I need doing-- announcements, control over WiFi devices that Hubitat can't control, activating/deactivating Alexa Guard, etc.

• Many of the rules use momentary switches integrated with Alexa that are currently on hub #1, meshed to hub #2 and working

• Ideally, I'd like to integrate them directly from the second hub with Alexa rather than via the mesh

• I added the Alexa integration to hub #2 but, of course, any device I try to project to Alexa by adding it in the integration UX doesn't work because the Alexa Skill isn't looking at the second hub

Question: how do I get the Alexa Skill to look at both C8s without disabling the Skill (which breaks all existing projected/integrated devices)?

Thanks!

You can only link the Alexa skill to one hub. So you would need to share all devices from the same hub.

3 Likes

Well, on the upside: I'm 2 for 2 and figured someone would say that. Definitely one of those times where I'd love to have been wrong. :frowning:

Thanks for the info as always!

I have the alexa skill on 3 hubs that have physical devices, each skill gets the devices on that hub, seems to work well.
Same with virtual devices on other hubs.
If i understand what you are trying to do.
HTH.

But are all 3 apps on HE linked to the same Amazon account? Or 3 separate accounts? I think the problem comes in trying to link the Alexa Skill (on the amazon side) to multiple hubs. I think you can only pick one hub if I am not mistaken?

Right, I don't see a way to:

1. add additional hubs to an existing HE Skill instance
  2. add an additional Skill instance to the same account

@woodsy if I'm missing something or there's a set of steps I'm not familiar with, please let me know.

Appreciate the feedback.

You don’t. Share all your devices using Hub Mesh or Hub Connect to a single hub. Install the Amazon Echo Skill on that hub.

See my first post--already done that. I'm trying to 'keep things clean'.

That's the only way it can be done now.

Previously, Hubitat had an Alexa App that permitted the hub to emulate a Hue bridge for local Alexa discovery/use. That app could be installed on multiple hubs since it didn't require an Alexa account. That app is no longer available.

Understood.

Woodsy seemed to suggest otherwise hence I'm pursuing all avenues though, given yours and Jeff's shared perspective/experience, I suspect you're both correct.

Perhaps @woodsy is referring to the Alexa app that was previously available. That app has been deprecated in favor of the Alexa skill.

It says Amazon Echo Skill on all 3.
Only one account.
I just tested a sample on each of the 3 physical hubs, the devices triggered properly.
Curious!

Oh, i have always copied the original setup to another hub, then modified it, as i am generally load shedding to new hardware.
Works across 9 hubs.

Perhapse an inadvertent workaround?

I hear ya. But how did you authorize the 2nd+ hub to project devices to Alexa--without that step, they're just background noise to... her.

I just went into the echo skill on the new hub and removed any devices from the old hub and added the devices on the new hub.

Have you tried enabling the skill on the second hub?

Yes, see post #1.

I don't understand how you're getting the Alexa Skill to look at 2+ hubs. During the initial setup and IIRC, you're asked to select a hub which implies this is where the Skill is looking.

1 Like

I am lost as of this point.
I was wrong, only 7 of 9 hubs have echo skill enabled.
Took #9 and added the skill, added a couple of devices, all seemed well.
No login or such.

Your description is what one would expect for the deprecated Hue emulation app ...... the newer Amazon Echo Skill requires a login.

Thanks.

I'm lost, too... I've tried adding existing/compatible devices--I created a momentary switch on hub #2 (that I know to be compatible from hub #1 as a proof point), added it to the skill on hub#2 and waited... nada. Did the same on hub #1, near instant result. :man_shrugging:t2:

Is there anything unique to your setup? Mine is simply 2 x C8s and a ton of Echoes strewn around the place all connected to the same Amazon account with the Skill enabled.

The only thing I can think of is I wonder if you export / clone the app and then import it to the other hub? Would it carry over the token and auth info so that it could work on both hubs at once?

This comment made me think maybe the app is being exported / imported. :point_down:

2 Likes

Ooooooooooh, good thought--will give it a shot once the wife let's me touch a keyboard again today.

// clever... nice :wink::+1: