Add buttons for Arrived and Departed to mobile device

Would it be possible to add an option for the Mobile App DEVICE to have an "Arrived" and "Departed" function? I realize the app should drive those functions - but I have seen instances where I departed and the device never reflected it - plus it would help in troubleshooting apps as well. Like with Life360 devices, we do have buttons to indicate arrived/departed at will (though the integration should eventually correct the status - I'd hope.)

There is already a Presence state in the device. If you need to see it remotely, just add the device to a dashboard to view this. Mine is already setup this way. In RM you can select Arrived or Departed if you want to use it in a rule. You can look in the even log for times or in the history of the dashboard tile.

Yes, it shows the status in the device - but I want a button to change the status - that exists in Life360 devices, but not in the Mobile App device.

Rules are irrelevant - I already use presence in rules - my desire is to manually SET the devices state. Besides being good for troubleshooting rules - it also allows one to force a device to correct status when the app fails to do it. When HE has wrong state, "Send Geo Event" does NOT correct the issue - not sure why, would expect that is the purpose of that function.

2 Likes

My apologies. I didn't understand you were asking for a button to force the presence status to change. I've never used Life360 and your statement said

so I didn't know you could force the change.

I don't know if there is an easier way, but you could make a virtual switch device, put it on your dashboard and make a rule to flip the presence device state... It's not pretty.

What he is saying is there is no way to manually change the presence state. That capability doesn't exist.

Actually there is. In actions choose "run custom action" and then choose presence. There you can choose arrived or departed. It works just like I said before with the virtual button or any other trigger for that matter.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this thread, there is no arrived or departed choice under custom action for presence on the mobile app device. See the following.

Not if you select that device. But if you select a virtual presence sensor there is. If you wan't the mobile device driver to support that, you should put in a feature request at the HE team. But since their todo list is kinda huge I would go for the virtual route for the moment. (I wasn't saying it is a pretty solution :smile:)

But that is what the OP was asking, the ability to set the mobile device presence manually. Life360 device has that capability to do so. I know that a virtual presence can be done also, but again that is not what the OP was looking for.

In that case: No, it's not possible.

And thus - the reason for my post. We should get this "feature" added to the device driver.

2 Likes

I agree. I have 2 hubs and need a way to show arrived and departed via a WiFi connection which I find is much more stable than the current presence via the mobile app and since it only works for one hub this is a needed selection. I currently have virtual buttons but why use a virtual button when you can just add a selection. Forcing the selection manually is not practical and would never work for my family members.