Accessing Hubitat VIA the Internet (Remotely)

I have a house 5 states away and need to monitor remote conditions. I started another subject about creating a homemade device to monitor Power loss. That project is now completed with a Really Cool solution (Sounds like my Scooby Doo days). Anyway

I plan to spend next weekend up there and intend to install a SIM Router, Hubitat, a couple of Cameras, Water sensors and my Power Sensor. After I get all this running and a couple of other responsibilities complete, I’ll return home.

Can we start a discussion about the proper way to access the Hubitat Hub VIA the Internet? Access it from outside the 192.168.x.x world.

Should I Open a Port on the Router and access the Hubitat remotely via the Router’s Internet IP address and Port forwarding towards Hubitat?

Is there a smarter way to do this?

How about accessing the Dashboard? Would I need to add a second copy of the Hubitat Android App? How would this work?

I am hoping I am not the first person to ever do this. Reading other Posts, I'd be surprised if I was the First.

I know, I asked way too many questions for 1 post, please bare with me as I ask stupid questions in an attempt to get as good as you folks are...

Looking forward to any thoughts, Experiences (both Good and Bad), and Especially Lessons learned.

Thanks
Bill

1 Like

No, don't do that.

Use a VPN. It would easiest if your router (presumably the "SIM router") had a built-in VPN. I know ASUS routers have an OpenVPN server and support SIMs via USB. Otherwise setup OpenVPN on an RPi and port-forward the RPi's VPN port on your SIM-router.

You can switch between Hubitats using a single instance of the Android app.

8 Likes

Use Teamviewer. It's easy, works reliably and is free.

For dashboards, just use the url provided for Cloud access to your dashboards and access them using the Chrome browser.

2 Likes

OMG please don’t... Not a hubitat thing.. Just not a good idea security wise on any IOT devices..

I use a VPN for this (when I need more than dashboard).. But dashboard does everything I need from a HA standpoint.. I am usually doing more like programming..

You can do this from a single install of the app.. I have a hub at home and a hub at the office

This is not uncommon..

That’s what is so great about the community here...

4 Likes

See below how I switch hubs in the app:

4 Likes

Thanks aaiyar, Angus_M (again), and bcopeland for all the responses!!!!

OK, I got it. No Open Ports, use VPN and I understand why, just had not thought about the security factors. Short Sighted I know, makes perfect since. I also have a VPN service, I use NordVPN for out going traffic here at the house.

The SIM Router I am looking at (Haven’t purchased it yet) is a KuWFi GC111-3D you can see it on amazon at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VQ8VD9J/?coliid=I1X87OMZDMPI8M&colid=2JJ90SO8A7NGB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it.

I like this because it supports T-Mobile SIM, and it says Dynamic IP (I am hoping that means Dynamic DNS, so I can determine the Internet IP address if/when it changes.). Also, a Very Big factor, it comes with 2 extra higher gain Cell Antennas. That allows me to use the extra Rubber Duck antenna to practice my Harry Potter – Wingardium Leviosa spell.

Now I like it because it also supports VPN.

So far, I have not had any luck looking around the Internet for the manual to study up on its capabilities. That (no manual) might be a showstopper, if I cannot verify a few things.
Anyone see a Manual around I can download? Maybe you will have better luck than I.

I need lesson or reading material on is using VPN from the Internet to connect with the Router . It’s a no brainer to turn VPN on at the Router and have the Router connect to NordVPN for all internal devices. I just cannot see it coming in from the other direction.

Can anyone help here? I don’t mind studying/reading, it is how I learn. Is there a buzz word I can search the Internet to explain VPN from the Interne t to the house?

Thanks again Folks!

Bill

2 Likes

Another vote here for Teamviewer.

2 Likes

Another vote for something like Teamviewer. If you need to do a bunch of ground-up understanding of a VPN, you may be better starting off with the Teamviewer approach. Other than installing Teamviewer on an always-on computer at the remote location, there isn't much to set up. Once set up, the always-on computer doesn't need a screen or keyboard. You can set it up on a small computer like the Intel NUC devices. You don't need much horsepower. Teamviewer runs really well on Linux. You can get everything set up and working beforehand and take it with you when you install the HE hub. There is no need to worry about Dynamic IP addresses. With an always-on computer at the remote end, you have the ability to run scripts that could restart the hub or router should they loose connectivity.

1 Like

If your router doesn’t support VPN running piVPN on a Raspberry Pi could be a low cost solution.

People on the forum have mentioned something called 'pihole'.
I am using an RPi for other things and could set this up. (I assume).
Anyone have any idea how you would use pihole for remotely accessing my hub?
TIA

@bobbles pihole is a local DNS server that blocks things like online advertising. You might be thinking of pivpn which can be added to a raspberry pi.

2 Likes

That's the kiddie. :grinning:
I'll start googling.

1 Like

If you have a NAS in your network, piVPN or a similar VPN app might be an installable option.

Personally, I use the teamviewer method myself too. Very easy and low cost for most people, since many of us have a spare desktop or laptop available. You just configure it to stay awake or use wake on lan. Put it on a UPS, and set the computer to turn on after a power failure. That way, if you were to lose power at the remote site and the UPS eventually drained, once power is restored, the computer automatically boots. Often, Windows PCs require this be set in the BIOS.

Cloud connected WiFi plugs are helpful if your hub or PC gets into a situation where you cannot reboot via software, and need to “pull the plug”

1 Like

It also runs on a raspberry pi :+1:

2 Likes

Another free option is RealVNC. It has apps for Apple and Android phones/tablets, runs on Raspberry Pi and Windows. And you can have 3 "devices" as part of your network for free. Best part, no remembering IP addresses or setting up any other dynamic DNS service. RealVNC handles all of that for you. Just open the app and sign in and your devices populate. You also don't have to remember/enter any additional passwords if you are signing in via the RealVNC app. It authenticates based on your sign-in.

3 Likes

where is it free?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question. From the Real VNC website. If you are using it for non-commercial (personal) use, VNC connect basic is free.

1 Like

Must be a US thing only, there doesn't seem to be a personal option :unamused:

edit: may have found it :thinking:

There is...it's call Home. And i was wrong, its up to 5 devices. You just have to create a Real VNC account and state it's for Personal use. They don't advertise this (obviously).

2 Likes