Absolutely NOT Hubitat related but I'm looking for ideas

Hi everybody.

I need to move a flexible rod into a quasi circle. The rod is put vertically and I need to move it slowly for about 360 degrees.

The rod is fixed in its base. Flexible but fixed. Imagine it as a water hose of 15cm (6 inches). The top of that rod should spin 360 degrees, or almost. It can't rotate (because the twist will destroy the rod).

I thought of 4 actuators that will move accordingly to displace the top of the rod, following a circle, but it seems too complicated.

A vertical axle with a motor and the rod fixed on a tangential point ? Yes, but because the base is fixed, that means that I need to go reverse (with a switch) when a certain point is reached. Feasible but looks again complicated.

I'm stuck here with my strange idea and no obvious way to solve it simply. Last but not least, the entire system should be waterproof (not submersible, but a good IP68).

Any idea to allow me to sleep better ?

Thank you !!

OK, to be Hubitat relevant, I could automatize the system :thinking:

Have a photo or drawing? That would help us visualize. Also, knowing the application would also be helpful.

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. Pool or pond fountain? Sprinkler?

1 Like

Hmm, no pic or drawing because just in my head, but to keep the explanation simple (don't laugh please :pensive:), a kind of high pressure sprinkler that will spread water around an area with high flow but not fully vertically (because the water is not kept like a fountain) because I want (lazy) to water my garden at the same time... Some light effect and voilà, my fancy garden along the night, watering my grass and my plants...

That's because I spent 1 hour playing with my hose and my head lamp, playing like a child with the nice effect :smiley:

*Update: smaller :man_dancing: :man_dancing:

1 Like

Why not just add a light to a rotating impact sprinkler? You can put these on a riser pipe however long you want, and you can adjust the angle of spray.

www.amazon.com/Orbit-58019N-Impact-Sprinkler-Flow-Thru/dp/B0002YUDHE

because rotating impact are mostly flat if the range is short. If you have a very large field, those impact sprinklers are superb but again the range is high, the height is not. And I just want to create a flow going (relatively) high - 3 meters - but not far. kind of a "moving" fountain. But thanks for your suggestion.

Maybe modify the sprinkler pattern? The "scoop" (whatever that is called) and nozzle determine the pattern. It might be easier to take and modify one of these instead of reinventing the wheel so to speak. It might be as easy as just redrilling the nozzle to get a different spray angle. For less than $20 at least you could study it or rob it for parts. At a minimum, the rotating part and end stops might work for you.

1 Like

could be ok but need to change the angle. could dissmantle everything and put a sharper angle tube... Thank you again to allow me to dig further ideas.

lawn rocker arm

And just shine a light through it?

They go pretty high and you can restrict the arc to completely vertical if you want, or anything up to about 80° from vertical each side.

I think you need to make a trip to the junkyard, for several windshield washer pumps and the nozzles that do the spraying. This gives you the spray you want, and the distance limit you want.

I'm not quite sure I understand how you want to aim them, but I do remember (many moons ago) a radio-controlled tank to which I attached a junkyard-salvage pump/nozzle, all driven by the tiny 12 volt battery that powered the car alarms of the time, also a salvaged item.

That tank was devastating, as no sand fortification could stop it, as it could wash away anything it could not climb over, and it also had an impressive ability to knock down dozens of army men per "shot fired".

1 Like

I thought of that and purchased one before. In fact, the height is there but the flow is anemic. I have now some brass hose sprays with a far better pressure and flow:

https://www.amazon.com/Dramm-12380-Heavy-Duty-Adjustable-Nozzle/dp/B001DGII5O

I'll test them with a 6way pvc pipe arriving "soon" (thx Covid-19). I really don't know what the global flow will be (but I noticed that the nozzle can disperse water without a high flow), but that's the fun of this "project": playing with water in the summer :smiley:

6way pvc pipe