Abraham's hardware findings (Europe/Poland)

You still do not understood, even after my explanation. Both switches are comunicating well with hub. OTHER devices (not that switches) have issues, and thanks to switches acting as "routers" / "nodes", they have better comunication in mesh network. One of the switches is performing better as "router" / "node", than the second one.

Thanks for clarifying - your original wording was not clear. :slight_smile:

1 Like

English is not my native language. I'm doing my best, but indeed, sometimes I'm not precise enough. I will re-edit first post about switches later. Thank you for pointing that out.

4 Likes

For a device connected directly into my house’s electrical wiring, the most critical question for me is whether it has been independently tested by a nationally recognized testing lab, such as UL in America (there are others in Canada and worldwide).

Most (or maybe all) devices sold on Aliexpress are not.

So that’s a 0 out of 5 in my book.

Manufacturers/sellers can claim anything they want. Particularly when they are located in a country where they will never face legal or even PR consequences from consumers in foreign markets who are injured or suffer economic losses from poorly designed or manufactured electrical devices.

Respectfully, I wouldn’t consider your testing to be very reassuring re: safe use of the device.

1 Like

I will start from the end. I did not perform scientific, professional testing, only quick and dirty test, to check is it behaving in normal way, not burning immediately, can change state under load an so on.

Someone with professional meters, if had possibilities and desire to do that is highly welcomed. I did, what I may do in my conditions.

Indeed, most of the devices from ali-express do not have UL certification, including that reviewed ones. But precisely the same devices are sold on amazon, ebay, and other places, including regular shops. So it will not make difference, there will same level of risk. At least I selected that ones, which have CE, and ROHS. Aubess have FCC to (Avatto do not have).

Of course if I will have choice, and possibility to buy UL certified device, I would prefer to select such one, within reasonable price range, but even costly like [autocensored] Fibaro z-wave devices have only some less important cerfiticates like ROHS. And Fibaro is not no-name company from china...

So, in such case, I'm trying to use common sense combined with the ability to analyze data (including reviews).

2 Likes

Thanks Abraham for contributing your finds! This can be a very welcoming community with everyone sharing thoughts and ideas openly.

I recently looked into this exact idea... See my thread below... I appreciate the brotherly caution many users bring to the table however...

As I looked for a 15-16 amp devices, I found these in the Amazon store... They look like they are exactly the same as the Aubess item you found on AliExpress.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PRHHNX4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, I ordered a few of them to play with. Half of them paired perfectly and worked as described pairing as a generic zigbee switch... The other half of my order would only pair as a "device" and had no functionality. Interestingly, although branded the same, they appeared to have different firmware on them. I suspect these devices are all made by the same manufacturer and then re-branded by many different sellers...

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your comments!

You’re absolutely right, it’s important for the buyer to beware even on Amazon.

CE is, as far as I know, a self-certification by the device manufacturer. So it’s of questionable value when applied to a device made in mainland China, where there is no accountability to EU consumer protection or product liability laws.

ROHS has nothing to do with electrical safety per se, but rather limits on heavy metals contained in electronic devices. That may be important for environmental or other human health reasons, but that’s a different issue.

The FCC logo on an electronic device has nothing at all to do with safety concerns. It simply means the device won’t interfere with nearby regulated radio transmissions.

I visited your thread, and I had one idea, then I noticed, that idea is not applicable, because you need US version of hardware.

BTW: I found another one switch 30A rated, that one is really bulky. I'm updating switch post about it.

There are two CE marks.

There is the original - "Conformité Européenne", which is the equivalent of the UL mark in the US, and indicates a product has met European guidelines for health and safety.

Then there is the CE mark on most AliExpress products, where CE stands for "China Export", and should not be taken as an indication of product safety. Both the CE marks look very similar, so it is important to distinguish between them.

2 Likes

You are right about security and mentioned logos. But if I see a suspiciously cheap device, devoid of any logos, then I'm skipping it. And some companies have their own websites, on which they are providing some certification information, so it is not always a bad situation. In general, I'm sharing your concerns, but unfortunately even some major brands, as I mentioned previously, do not have security certification, or at least they are not providing them to public.

Therefore, a responsible person should have a well-designed switchboard, with properly selected protections (fuses, protections that detect sparking in the installation and other devices), both in terms of protection types and protection values. It could bring risk of fire, or other problems, to marginal levels.

EDITed: In EU wall outlets are designed to handle/pass 16A as maximum value so, using 16A rated switches will be fine. I'm not aware about values for US or UK.

Maybe not in regions where the certification is not used (places with higher household voltage than the US, from what I understand), but they do indeed have UL certification for all products I'm aware of sold to such other markets. Here's one I have:

2 Likes

Tkanks. Very strange. I checked few photos of few their devices, and I not noticed such logo, for example on that:

or that

neither there was no such info on webpage. So looks like they not providing such info, or not all devices are UL certified.

PIR sensor:

Haozee "PIR sensor with lux".
It's dirty cheap. It works out of the box, on default settings for me. It is using CR2450 batteries. I'm using it to turn on light, by Motion and Mode Lighting Apps (with turn off delay set to 5 minutes).

Technical note:
It must be paired near the hub, otherwise it will not communicate with the hub, transmit status changes, due to "false", incorrect pairing.

• manufacturer: _TZE200_3towulqd
  • model: TS0601

working on driver: Tuya Multi Sensor 4 in 1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004095233195.html

I'm planning to use in home mainly presence sensors, not PIR, but neither at the moment I do not have enough funds to that, nor I did not select which presence sensors will be used.

Although the CR2450 is a very good battery, the new trend (even on Aliexpress) is to use devices that utilize the CR2 or even the CR123A battery.
I have also found, in my personal experience, that when putting in sensors for clients, they are willing to spend more, to get a device that will not have to have a battery change for years. The new Haozee/Neo Coolcam motion sensors (with the excellent driver from @kkossev ) take **2 CR123Astrong text batteries! This device could last at least 6 years! Of course, your mileage may vary (YMMV). They cost much more than the ones you selected, but they last longer. So, it depends what you are willing to pay for.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002598226354.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.7e8218022VfsbY
https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Sensor-Temperature-Humidity-lumiance-Connection/dp/B0B51QW7ZM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=V9T2RPLZ3282&keywords=zigbee+tuya+4+in+1+multisensor&qid=1688744420&sprefix=zigtbee+tuya+4+in+1+multisensor%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-2

Temperature and humidity sensor:

Tuya Zigbee 3.0 ZCW1 Temperature and humidity sensor.

Link to ali-express intentionaly removed. I'm not recomending it anymore for direct usage with Hubitat, but it could possibly work well thru Tuya gateway with matter support. Every batch has different hardware inside, different fingeprint or presence/absence of endpoints with... same fingerprint.

Temperature and humidity sensor with external probe, possibly only one existing on aliexpress. Powered by 2x AAA/LR3 batteries.

* manufacturer: **_TZE200_qyflbnbj**
* model: **TS0601**

Work on driver: Tuya Temperature Humidity Illuminance LCD Display with a Clock, version 1.5.0 (dev branch). Thanks, @kkossev

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005954597374.html

New ZCW1 and discovered sensor with external probe are giving almost perfectly same results, screen below is after forcing "refresh" several times, to get measure from same moment. Result "in green" are from external probe, results "in red" are from updated ZCW1. Unfortunately, ZCW1 is from batch to batch getting different hardware. Third version seems to give reliable data (test in progress), and works with manually selected driver and type.

1 Like

Thanks for hint. I was considering model above, as one of "non-temporary" solution, if I select PIR sensors as main concept, not presence sensors. But some presence sensors are at similiar price level, so it is not easy choice for me.

Anyway, I selected "my" sensors with purpose, to use them as temporary solution, until I will decide, what to do in next step. Looks like that they are “good enough”.

Just got a new toy from AE :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005704543574.html

Works great with HE inbuilt "Advanced Zigbee RGBW Bulb" driver !

I am going to use it for monitoring and fine-tuning my FP2 Zones configuration, changing to color depending on which Zone is activated, using HE Rule Machine.

Update: GLEDOPTO GL-LB-001P is also a very good repeater (router)!
My new toy Aqara Cube T1 Pro is reaching the C-7 hub (which is 2 solid walls away) through this RGBW light bar. For the cube controller, it is of critical importance that all events are received very quickly.

5 Likes

DIN-RAIL devices.

On beginning I was planing to put it with switches, but then I realized, that later possibly I will post info about some more DIN-RAIL devices, so I created separate post, in which information about such hardware will be posted.

#1: High power 3x phases (63A) DIN Rail switch:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004878942983.html

• manufacturer: _TZ3000_ajv2vfow|
  • model: TS0001

Working on standard (bulit-in) driver.

No power monitoring. "Last state" function support. There is even one more interesting detail: the EARU circuit breaker has some special latching relay / contactor!

When the power-off behavior is configured to 'Last State' and I cut the power off, the relay stays closed! So it is some kind of bi-stable relay, keeps the last state open or closed no matter the power is off!

IMAGE:

#2: DIN Rail switch Tongu TO-Q-SY1-163JZT with power monitoring
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004747066832.html

Working on driver: Tuya Zigbee Metering Plug from kkossev

Important note: this is only switch, no protections of any kind, should be used in pair with additional protection devices.

#2: DIN Rail switch Tongu TO-Q-SY1-163JZT with power monitoring
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004747066832.html

Working on driver: Tuya Zigbee Metering Plug from kkossev

Critical note: this is only switch, no protections of any kind, should be used in pair with additional protection devices. There are several models, designed to handle different maximum load, from 10A to 63A.

#3: DIN Rail switch Tongu TO-Q-SY2-163JZT with advanced power monitoring and limiting/control
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005180945352.html

Critical note: this is only switch, no protections of any kind, should be used in pair with additional protection devices. This is a universal model, with user-configurable maximum load limit, from 1A to 63A. It allows reacting to too high or too low voltage, to high temperature, exceeding limit of power (in watts) or amperage.

Working on driver: Tuya Zigbee Metering Plug from kkossev (development branch)

4: DIN Rail switch Somgoms SMKG-1KNL-EU with advanced power monitoring and limiting/control
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005647599064.html

That device is undergoing tests, should behave in same way, as Tongu TO-Q-SY2-163JZT, but it is 30% cheaper.

Critical note: this is only switch, no protections of any kind, should be used in pair with additional protection devices. This is a universal model, with user-configurable maximum load limit, from 1A to 63A. It allows reacting to too high or too low voltage, to high temperature, exceeding limit of power (in watts) or amperage.

2 Likes

Hello :wave: I have model TS0001 ( _TZ3000_46t1rvdu) and using the driver you mentioned. It works just fine until I use the turn-off command in some (any) automation app. Then it got stuck and I have to pair it again. Switching via on-off buttons via a control panel works well. Do you have an idea how could be that fixed?

I did not use them in automation so far. Looks like we need to call @kkossev maybe he will have some ideas...