A word about HA -> HE integration

Pretty easy install for the stick but you can't have 2 zha integrations at the same time. You would need to completely remove your existing integration and all devices.

I have my HA instance setup in a proxmox vm so I simply spun up another instance for testing first. Once I was comfortable with how it was working, I removed my devices from the Nortek stick, deleted the zha integration, attached the Conbee2 to my production instance and paired my devices. I copied all my old entity names to an excel file so I could name them the same (and not have to redo any automations). It was not a trivial task for my 80 devices (over 200 entities) but it was worth it for me.

Oh..and, I would recommend you update to the latest firmware and set an appropriate zigbee channel before attaching to HA. You can install the deconz software in windows pretty easily to do this. Just PM me if you get stuck.

3 Likes

Does the zha component support the zigbee 3.0 coordinator firmware available for the Conbee2?

I should note that I have a DeCONZ/Phoscon integration I've worked on but never published. This works directly with the websocket API of the Conbee/Raspbee software (Phoscon, I think? Never been clear on which part that belongs to, but everyone always says "DeCONZ"...). I believe there's another one floating around the community, too. This works without Home Assistant at all, as again it just goes directly to the DeCONZ/Phoscon API, though you can run it inside Home Assistant as an add-on if you want (and optionally also integrate it with Home Assistant--this being via the DeCONZ integration, not ZHA, and not to be confused with the add-on that is a way to just run the software that way if you want...I think I've learned enough about Home Assistant for this to be correct :laughing: ).

Anyway, I did get button devices working that way. Pretty easy; they send events over the websocket like other devices, and the bulk of my integration came from my Hue Bridge integration that I reworked to use this instead of HTTP. They are remarkably similar except the websocket allows instant status (yay! ...and button devices are usable for that reason).

1 Like

No problem there. I'm just testing out this new capability to bring devices into HE that I can't pair directly. Nothing on HA at this point that I need to keep.

Good idea. I'm running it on Virtual Box, so I could do the same if needed.

Thanks for the advice. I will indeed do that. :+1:

All...Stephan's point about filtering is displayed here. I don't want these virtual switches shared from HE to come back to HE, but I have no choice. Something to consider.

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 11.46.57 PM

Interesting...I didn't look into the much of the details with regard to the deconz integration in HA. I was already familiar with the zha component. Deconz in HA seemed too roundabout for me. You needed an addon and I believe it integration through mqtt...just too many moving parts. Zha just seemed straight forward and was also more native, so I jumped in there. Always good to have a variety of options.

1 Like

I honestly don't know. A quick search isn't giving me any definite answers. I installed the latest firmware as of December but never had zigbee 3.0 as a consideration when I migrated. I just wanted my Aurora dimmers to work directly in HA....which they do now :grin:. Only zigbee 3.0 devices I have are my Jasco Enbrighten outdoor plugs. They work fine but don't know if they are using any 3.0 protocols.

1 Like

This sounds interesting. I'm planning to keep running HA just to get my Xiaomi sensors from HomeKit Controller to HE. But I'm open to anything that opens up more devices as long as I can bring them into HE.

They certainly mention it here. It's a nice dance, but definitely not the answer I was looking for. :rofl:

1 Like

Wow! The Conbee 2 works amazing with the Lutron Connected Bulb Remotes. Just responds perfectly every time. I cannot trip it up like I could very easily with the Nortek.

How about Xiaomi devices and the latest Conbee 2 firmware (26680700), are you using any with it?

2 Likes

Glad to hear it.
No Xaomi devices here.

1 Like

:heavy_check_mark: Worth asking. I've asked around as you'll see.
Thanks for the recommendation. Really nice to have a new opportunity to try some devices that were previously incompatible.

1 Like

That combination (and I think also the beta zigbee 3.0 firmware) work with Xiaomi devices from zigbee2mqtt discord messages I saw a few weeks ago when I was trying to pick a USB zigbee radio to get.

1 Like

I never pay much attention to battery reporting in drivers because it's never that accurate, but the Xiaomi battery reporting in HA is just stupid! This is a brand new device and the battery was confirmed with my MBT-1 to have 100% charge. :roll_eyes:

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 1.01.50 PM

I think you are misreading the battery entity. It is saying that the battery reporting of this device is 9% accurate. :wink:

4 Likes

Looks like it's necessary to re-initialize the websocket every 12 hours. I've started to move more devices over to test stability, and I noted at 2:20am this morning that the devices on HA had stopped responding. I thought at first they had dropped from the Zigbee network, but when I checked on HA I found they were still responding. I clicked Initialize in the HE driver and they instantly updated. A page refresh is always needed to see the status on HE, but my automations on HE kicked in right away.

The time before the websocket closes is just over 13 hours, so re-initializing it every 12 hours makes sense to me. Anyone else observed this behavior as well?

Screen shot was taken at 8:21 PM

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 8.20.59 PM

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 8.22.03 PM

I reworked the websocket status handling a bit so that it will try to reconnect on either closing or error. Hopefully that will help with uptime without having to schedule a preemptive reconnection. I checked that change in with 0.1.15.

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks.

I’ll load that up straight away and let you know what happens tomorrow.

1 Like

A question about this integration:

1. I have been having difficulty in getting TTS on Amazon echo show devices. I seem to be able to get the initial cookie working, however, the node.js program to continually renew the cookie seems to be beyond me.
  2. Does HA connect automagically to Amazon show devices? Therefore, could I pass that back to Hubitat for announcements?

Do you need variable announcements? If not, I simply trigger the built-in routines with a virtual motion sensor/switch device from HE.